Wiki Posts
Search

Servo Help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Questions?? Servo Help...

Ok so last race I was in the main and about two laps into it my buggy took off like a rocket, full power and someone finaly stoped it. When I got back to the pit me and some buddys were looking at it and it looked like the plastic servo horn skiped a few spots and locked the servo in a full throttle position. So I went out this week and bought a metal horn, as I put it on and powered the buggy up the servo is locked up. When the car is powered off the servo moves freely. Does this mean my servo is shot? Or am I just doing something wrong. We are going to race this weekend and I would like to figure it out before we go. Thanks
Old 02-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fatam
Ok so last race I was in the main and about two laps into it my buggy took off like a rocket, full power and someone finaly stoped it. When I got back to the pit me and some buddys were looking at it and it looked like the plastic servo horn skiped a few spots and locked the servo in a full throttle position. So I went out this week and bought a metal horn, as I put it on and powered the buggy up the servo is locked up. When the car is powered off the servo moves freely. Does this mean my servo is shot? Or am I just doing something wrong. We are going to race this weekend and I would like to figure it out before we go. Thanks
Take hoen off and power car see if it moves, also set all epa to zero. I see hb is ur avatar and im figuring ur using a d8 or d8t. I have never Stripped platic horn on throttle, im guessing ur epa was way off. If servo works off but on it dont it could be a shot board and shorting it. Try it with horn off and if it still dont work then ur servo got the worst of it other than engine. Very possible that it fried from being locked in a spot and binding causing it to fry.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:20 AM
Tech Addict

Ill check it out
Old 02-11-2011, 06:13 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Alum horns are your best bet. Racers edge or I have been using the hudy ones too.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Frank L
Alum horns are your best bet. Racers edge or I have been using the hudy ones too.
Re-Bind your radio if it is 2.4ghz... I had a retarded moment at the track last week where I turned on my radio after the engine was running and the damn thing reset all of its settings and reversed the throttle... WOT on the table and me just standing there like wtf is going on trying to turn it back off... Almost lost my Orion and sacrificed a fair amount of skin/blood for that mistake...
Old 02-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

When you turn the car on, the servo locks up? If that's the case, it's clearly getting power. Does it move at all when you pull the throttle? What about the steering servo? It almost sounds like your failsafe kicking in, but I don't know if you're using a radio that has one or if you have an external failsafe, or none. Ghost 68 had a good idea, if your radio has failsafe built in, it's possible you accidentally reset settings.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Tech Adept

Not really related to the current issue. Nevertheless it's still a servo question.

What's the minimum torque weight should a good/great servo have to handle a buggy's steering & throttle?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ghost68
Re-Bind your radio if it is 2.4ghz... I had a retarded moment at the track last week where I turned on my radio after the engine was running and the damn thing reset all of its settings and reversed the throttle... WOT on the table and me just standing there like wtf is going on trying to turn it back off... Almost lost my Orion and sacrificed a fair amount of skin/blood for that mistake...
I did that same thing. You need a motor stopper. It saves my thumb and I saw it save an engine at the track a few weeks ago. Check it out.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...e-stopper.html
Old 02-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Tech Addict

After playing with it I got the servo to work with the radio weird.