R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2011, 05:14 AM   #1
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 25
Default LRP S8TX vs HPI Trophy 4.6 vs Robotronics Mantis TXS

Hi All,

I am new to the hobby and have been investigating a good Nitro Truggy to get me off the ground and running. There is a local RC club close by who run 1/8 Scale Nitro Truggy comps on grass fortnightly and I'm keen to race. As the title suggests I'm looking for opinions on;

LRP S8TX
Seems a very slick unit RTR for $550 AUD
Will parts be a problem?

HPI Trophy 4.6
Seems a good allrounder RTR @ $595
Cant imagine parts being a problem with HPI?

Robotronics Mantis TXS
Dont know a lot about this car. Seems OK and comes with 2.4GHz RTR for $550

I know you get what you pay for and I'm ambitious thinking I'll do well in races with any of these cars but I have a budget which I wont budge on, not until I get bitten by the bug that is

So if anyone has any experience good or bad with any of the above I'd really appreciate the info!!

Cheers
The A Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:05 AM   #2
Tech Master
 
koopesv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: A main
Posts: 1,265
Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)
Default

If that is you budget, you be better of the Jammin X2 truggy. Its way better than the ones on your list. But if you can wait, and I think you should wait save you money and get a Losi 8t 2.0 you will be glad you did.
__________________
Durango - Speed Passion - Trinity
Gforce Hobbies Raceway
Urban Heat Racing
koopesv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:18 AM   #3
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopesv View Post
If that is you budget, you be better of the Jammin X2 truggy. Its way better than the ones on your list. But if you can wait, and I think you should wait save you money and get a Losi 8t 2.0 you will be glad you did.
Thanks for the reply! I have heard the Losi Truggy can be a bit fragile? Have you found that to be the case?
The A Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
Tech Master
 
koopesv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: A main
Posts: 1,265
Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)
Default

Losi 8T is a tough truggy the guys i see run them dont seem to have many problems. Save your money and buy quality.
__________________
Durango - Speed Passion - Trinity
Gforce Hobbies Raceway
Urban Heat Racing
koopesv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:09 AM   #5
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 25
Default

Any other opinions?
The A Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:38 AM   #6
Tech Initiate
 
Storm CLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 49
Default

If you want to go the RTR way then please buy the Losi. I am not a Losi fan by anymeans but the HPI and the Robitronic are really not good Race Truggies.
I don't know about the LRP.
__________________
GS Racing USA gsracingusa.com
Sweep Racing USA sweepracingusa.com
Storm CLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 25
Default

Bumpety
The A Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic
 
TERRA NOVA's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Stettler, AB
Posts: 982
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The A Train View Post
Hi All,

I am new to the hobby and have been investigating a good Nitro Truggy to get me off the ground and running. There is a local RC club close by who run 1/8 Scale Nitro Truggy comps on grass fortnightly and I'm keen to race. As the title suggests I'm looking for opinions on;

LRP S8TX
Seems a very slick unit RTR for $550 AUD
Will parts be a problem?

HPI Trophy 4.6
Seems a good allrounder RTR @ $595
Cant imagine parts being a problem with HPI?

Robotronics Mantis TXS
Dont know a lot about this car. Seems OK and comes with 2.4GHz RTR for $550

I know you get what you pay for and I'm ambitious thinking I'll do well in races with any of these cars but I have a budget which I wont budge on, not until I get bitten by the bug that is

So if anyone has any experience good or bad with any of the above I'd really appreciate the info!!

Cheers
The LRP S8TX is made by Z-CAR. I sell the Z-CAR Version in Canada (The ZMXT-8 RTR) I have lots of parts, but they are rarely needed. The Truggy is a very tough unit. I have bash tested mine over and over. Mine is a PRO, but the suspension arms and hubs are the same as the RTR. The LRP S8TX would be a good choice as it would need very few upgrades to make it a good racer.
__________________
Jamie "Nitro Newf" Hollett
Z-CAR ZMXT-8 ZMXT-8E / Z10XB - Z10XB-E
SH ENGINES / Z-CAR TECH. / SAVOX / Swift Current Lipos
www.terranovahobby.ca
TERRA NOVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:11 AM   #9
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRA NOVA View Post
The LRP S8TX is made by Z-CAR. I sell the Z-CAR Version in Canada (The ZMXT-8 RTR) I have lots of parts, but they are rarely needed. The Truggy is a very tough unit. I have bash tested mine over and over. Mine is a PRO, but the suspension arms and hubs are the same as the RTR. The LRP S8TX would be a good choice as it would need very few upgrades to make it a good racer.
Thanks, I have to admit the LRP is my top choice at the moment
The A Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 25
Default

Chika bump!
The A Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:31 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net