R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #31
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default x1x

Paldude
There are so many things to think about when buying a kit vs. a rtr. I run A Jammin x1x buggy kit and like it alot. I've had it for 3 yrs. and the only thing that has broke is a front lower arm. Keeping in mind I go through my truggies and buggies often and they all have the strongest aftermarket parts possible(king headz,fioroni etc.) from my experience RTR'S SUCK. The servo's, radio, engine. pipe and clutch are a waste of time. If you are interested in practicing on a track or racing you will be frustrated with an rtr and it's durability. Rtr engines usually come with a rope or a 1 way bearing, which both fail often(bump box is a must IMHO). If you find the manufacture you are intersted in and are patient and start looking on RCTECH in the FOR SALES you can find good deals. I bought a Jammin x2 truggy kit last year with a modded AB Picco .28, 2 digital Airtonics servo's, Dynamite 086 pipe, new extra tires new custom painted body, tons of extra parts, a new starter box, receiver batteries list goes on. The truggy, engine, servo's, clutch and pipe had 1/2 gallon on it(which looked like brand new(no bs) everything else was brand new. I estimate aprox. $1700 worth if you were to buy it from Amain for the price of a picco on road engine which cost me $529.00 shipped. I see those kind of deals on rctech if you are patient and know for sure what you want!
PS. if you are looking for a rig to play with in the back yard on occassion buy what ever soots your fancy, if you plan to do a little competition and would like a solid rig take my advice, I have been there with the RTR situation and allmost gave up. I have now invested aprox. $17,000 plus into the hobby/ sport and really enjoy it.
tristyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #32
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristyn View Post
Paldude
There are so many things to think about when buying a kit vs. a rtr. I run A Jammin x1x buggy kit and like it alot. I've had it for 3 yrs. and the only thing that has broke is a front lower arm. Keeping in mind I go through my truggies and buggies often and they all have the strongest aftermarket parts possible(king headz,fioroni etc.) from my experience RTR'S SUCK. The servo's, radio, engine. pipe and clutch are a waste of time. If you are interested in practicing on a track or racing you will be frustrated with an rtr and it's durability. Rtr engines usually come with a rope or a 1 way bearing, which both fail often(bump box is a must IMHO). If you find the manufacture you are intersted in and are patient and start looking on RCTECH in the FOR SALES you can find good deals. I bought a Jammin x2 truggy kit last year with a modded AB Picco .28, 2 digital Airtonics servo's, Dynamite 086 pipe, new extra tires new custom painted body, tons of extra parts, a new starter box, receiver batteries list goes on. The truggy, engine, servo's, clutch and pipe had 1/2 gallon on it(which looked like brand new(no bs) everything else was brand new. I estimate aprox. $1700 worth if you were to buy it from Amain for the price of a picco on road engine which cost me $529.00 shipped. I see those kind of deals on rctech if you are patient and know for sure what you want!
PS. if you are looking for a rig to play with in the back yard on occassion buy what ever soots your fancy, if you plan to do a little competition and would like a solid rig take my advice, I have been there with the RTR situation and allmost gave up. I have now invested aprox. $17,000 plus into the hobby/ sport and really enjoy it.
Well, from what I have seen people tell me on and on and on and on is that the only things on the RTRs are the electronics and the things that make it function. I have not seen any complaints on the cars themselves, such as the chassis or something like that. I mean, wouldnt you rather start with something that costs you 300$ intead of something that costs you 1000$? It is rather simple to replace a servo or a motor and those sort of things, so why not rather use them until they break and then replace them, you might as well take the advantage of a cheap servo and use it until it brakes and then buy something more made for competition. The only things I see with RTRs are the things that make the car function, not the chassis and arms and all those sort of things. And although I have looked around 3 lhs around town, I have not found any sort of kit that would cost me less than 1000 euros to make it able to run, which I find kind of anoying.
Paldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default To Paldude

I called Amain hobbies yesterday, the price is still $300 but stock status is showing back-order. I think it's a steal at that price. Tower and other places are pricing the buggy in the high 300s. The customer service guy from A-main said price would remain $300 if an order or back-order was placed.

I took a bit of time comparing it with hyper 7, my choice is x1x sport.
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote