R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
Default Advice needed

I have an associated rc10gt (gt2 is the same truck pretty much) and have taken the motor apart let it soak rebuilt it and had it running. I seem to always be tuning my truck i dont know if this is common in nitro if day to day you need to retune the engine or if i am doing something wrong. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
tirado_881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,147
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

A tune can change from 1/2 of a tank to almost empty. From a full tank to a half tank ETC. If the weather changes with in the same 5 min because a storm or a cold front is about to come through a tune can change. A tune can change from 1 race to the next 30 min later. I hope you get my point.
got_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
Tech Elite
 
jmaxey51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 3,917
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_nitro View Post
A tune can change from 1/2 of a tank to almost empty. From a full tank to a half tank ETC. If the weather changes with in the same 5 min because a storm or a cold front is about to come through a tune can change. A tune can change from 1 race to the next 30 min later. I hope you get my point.
only engine i had do that was a C6 .... never heard of any other engine changing tune that much. the Jammin JPX 21 i have, i let sit for 4 months, switched brands and from truggy to buggy, dropped it in my buggy and ran it, it was spot on.

engines shouldn't change tune much, maybe an hour here and there but thats it. if its changing your tune is off in the first place. check idle gap and start over on the tune. also could be to cold of a plug.
__________________
Jonathan Maxey - Mugen Seiki USA, Alpha-Plus Engines, O'donnell Fuel Team, Sweep Racing USA, M2C Racing, Airtronics, TritonRC.com, RC Renew, 4C Hobby Supply
Mugen MBX7 / Alpha-Plus Engine / Airtronics M11x
Mugen MBX6T / Alpha-Plus Engine / Airtronics M11x
Mugen MBX7 Eco / LRP / Airtronics M11x
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,147
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
only engine i had do that was a C6 .... never heard of any other engine changing tune that much. the Jammin JPX 21 i have, i let sit for 4 months, switched brands and from truggy to buggy, dropped it in my buggy and ran it, it was spot on.
You learn something new every day. You obvoiusly never owned a TRX. Not all of them are the same, hense the reason I said "Can"......
got_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Newville,Pa
Posts: 2,152
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

A nitro engines tune is effected by all atmospheric conditions... temperature, humidity, and even air quality. The smaller the displacement the bigger the effect, along with engine condition... an engine with only 1 tank through it will hold a tune and be effected less by the weather than an engine with 4 or 5 gallons through it....
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
Tech Elite
 
merdith6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brazoria, TX
Posts: 2,350
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Ok Here's the Deal

I had an RC10 GT and it was awesome, but I do remember that it was the most finiky engine I've ever had, and I've had a few...

Those small .12 or .15 engines are a pain in the rear wheel drive.....

I remember trying different glowplugs to help, and it did help some....

Try turning the idle up just a bit, don't be afraid if it rolls a bit off throttle, that's normal. It's not like 1/8th scale engines....And check the clutch too. that can make it tough to tune...Air filter, thos are small air filters, so clean them often.....and check your throttle and brake linkages too. those can be tough to get right....

I had an 0.S .15 and it was a really nice engine...

I do remember changing the tune all day long...I kina just kept tuning it...You will get better over time....

What engine is it?

I'm sure there are some engin gurus in here that could help you....

good luck...
__________________
Mad Dog drives a Mugen MBX-7, Novarossi engines, Clockwork Racing, Futaba radio, AKA/Proline Tires
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
I had an RC10 GT and it was awesome, but I do remember that it was the most finiky engine I've ever had, and I've had a few...

Those small .12 or .15 engines are a pain in the rear wheel drive.....

I remember trying different glowplugs to help, and it did help some....

Try turning the idle up just a bit, don't be afraid if it rolls a bit off throttle, that's normal. It's not like 1/8th scale engines....And check the clutch too. that can make it tough to tune...Air filter, thos are small air filters, so clean them often.....and check your throttle and brake linkages too. those can be tough to get right....

I had an 0.S .15 and it was a really nice engine...

I do remember changing the tune all day long...I kina just kept tuning it...You will get better over time....

What engine is it?

I'm sure there are some engin gurus in here that could help you....

good luck...



Thanks every one for the replies. I am going to wait until the spring to bring it out again for now i am using my Traxxas Ken block electric so i can try when it is easier to get it started maybe throw in a new glow plug fresh fuel and some nice 60 or 70 dry days.. I have the .15 motor
tirado_881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A123/LIFE Batteries advice needed. Govert Electric On-Road 28 03-02-2011 07:37 PM
Associated RC8Be with LRP SPX8 advice needed. liamgalvin Electric Off-Road 13 10-01-2010 10:13 AM
Expert Advice Needed!! Way2Evl Electric On-Road 36 05-09-2010 06:46 PM
E-Maxx with lots of hop-ups, advice needed armourbl Monster Trucks 52 12-26-2009 05:44 PM
CO27 brush question and advice needed. razzor Electric On-Road 20 08-21-2007 06:26 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:12 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net