R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Advice needed (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/480251-advice-needed.html)

tirado_881 02-08-2011 04:02 PM

Advice needed

I have an associated rc10gt (gt2 is the same truck pretty much) and have taken the motor apart let it soak rebuilt it and had it running. I seem to always be tuning my truck i dont know if this is common in nitro if day to day you need to retune the engine or if i am doing something wrong. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

got_nitro 02-08-2011 04:58 PM

A tune can change from 1/2 of a tank to almost empty. From a full tank to a half tank ETC. If the weather changes with in the same 5 min because a storm or a cold front is about to come through a tune can change. A tune can change from 1 race to the next 30 min later. I hope you get my point.:cool:

jmaxey51 02-08-2011 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by got_nitro (Post 8622754)
A tune can change from 1/2 of a tank to almost empty. From a full tank to a half tank ETC. If the weather changes with in the same 5 min because a storm or a cold front is about to come through a tune can change. A tune can change from 1 race to the next 30 min later. I hope you get my point.:cool:

only engine i had do that was a C6 .... never heard of any other engine changing tune that much. the Jammin JPX 21 i have, i let sit for 4 months, switched brands and from truggy to buggy, dropped it in my buggy and ran it, it was spot on.

engines shouldn't change tune much, maybe an hour here and there but thats it. if its changing your tune is off in the first place. check idle gap and start over on the tune. also could be to cold of a plug.

got_nitro 02-08-2011 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by jmaxey51 (Post 8622799)
only engine i had do that was a C6 .... never heard of any other engine changing tune that much. the Jammin JPX 21 i have, i let sit for 4 months, switched brands and from truggy to buggy, dropped it in my buggy and ran it, it was spot on.

You learn something new every day. You obvoiusly never owned a TRX. Not all of them are the same, hense the reason I said "Can"......

IMPACTPLAYR 02-08-2011 07:23 PM

A nitro engines tune is effected by all atmospheric conditions... temperature, humidity, and even air quality. The smaller the displacement the bigger the effect, along with engine condition... an engine with only 1 tank through it will hold a tune and be effected less by the weather than an engine with 4 or 5 gallons through it....

merdith6 02-08-2011 07:53 PM

Ok Here's the Deal

I had an RC10 GT and it was awesome, but I do remember that it was the most finiky engine I've ever had, and I've had a few...

Those small .12 or .15 engines are a pain in the rear wheel drive.....:lol:

I remember trying different glowplugs to help, and it did help some....

Try turning the idle up just a bit, don't be afraid if it rolls a bit off throttle, that's normal. It's not like 1/8th scale engines....And check the clutch too. that can make it tough to tune...Air filter, thos are small air filters, so clean them often.....and check your throttle and brake linkages too. those can be tough to get right....

I had an 0.S .15 and it was a really nice engine...

I do remember changing the tune all day long...I kina just kept tuning it...You will get better over time....

What engine is it?

I'm sure there are some engin gurus in here that could help you....

good luck...

tirado_881 02-08-2011 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by merdith6 (Post 8623757)
I had an RC10 GT and it was awesome, but I do remember that it was the most finiky engine I've ever had, and I've had a few...

Those small .12 or .15 engines are a pain in the rear wheel drive.....:lol:

I remember trying different glowplugs to help, and it did help some....

Try turning the idle up just a bit, don't be afraid if it rolls a bit off throttle, that's normal. It's not like 1/8th scale engines....And check the clutch too. that can make it tough to tune...Air filter, thos are small air filters, so clean them often.....and check your throttle and brake linkages too. those can be tough to get right....

I had an 0.S .15 and it was a really nice engine...

I do remember changing the tune all day long...I kina just kept tuning it...You will get better over time....

What engine is it?

I'm sure there are some engin gurus in here that could help you....

good luck...

Thanks every one for the replies. I am going to wait until the spring to bring it out again for now i am using my Traxxas Ken block electric so i can try when it is easier to get it started maybe throw in a new glow plug fresh fuel and some nice 60 or 70 dry days.. I have the .15 motor