R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Portable Air Compressor To Clean Rc

Im looking to get a Portable Air Compressor that i can take to the track and use it in my house to work on the car. Ive never had one so i dont know what i need to look for on a compressor. Can someone help and tell me what to look for? I was looking at this craftman 1.5 gallon. What you guys think?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G11
Old 02-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I would get a little bigger tank 1.5 goes quick when spraying the car off. I have a 8 gallon and it is small enough to take with you anywhere.

EPRC-Wichita KS|EPRC.club@gmail.com| www.emeryparkrc.com
Pin2Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have this one and it works well . I paid 80.00 on sale at Sears .

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...deZ0Qf3c0YX4Iw

Last edited by nothin special; 02-07-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: link
nothin special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Please get a quiet one. Nothing worse than hearing somebodys roached out 1/2 gallon compressor running non-stop.
818Designs.net - TKO
sickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Im not looking to spend to much. I would like get something less then $100, something That fills up quick,quiet and i can take it with me around. I might be asking for too much. If you have a link i can check out would be great. Thanks
Old 02-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Dont let that price scare you just google that compressor and you will find it for under $ 100.00s .
Old 02-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Stay away from cheap ones below 3 gallon. I bought a cheap pancake one from harbor but it ran for ever after every squirt so now I just take my cambell.

Home depot sometimes get some decent sales also
Proudly using: Spektrum DX4R, Viper-RC Electronics, Reedy Batteries, & Pro-Line
Cancer Sucks
willbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quite = $$$$$$$$$$$
Old 02-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Few racers I know have the Husky one from Home Depot,

Pretty quiet and doesn't have a huge amp draw when starting and stopping, which helps if the circit is a little over loaded with stuff on race day. It's got a small tank though. Around 1.5 gal., but does have wheels and a small drawer for the hose and stuff. Think it's right around 100 bones for it.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Default Air Compressors

Make sure you get one with at least a 13 Gallon tank. Depending on your use this will keep the compressor from coming on to refill the tank as much, your compressor running constantly will reduce the life of the engine on it. Stay away from the pancake type compressors for just cleaning with air they are more for nail guns because the guns use short controlled bursts. The bigger the tank the better. But with everything else the price gets higher.
simptek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #11
Tech Addict

These work great. Pretty quite, no to big and they just work well.

http://www.portercable.com/Products/...roductID=17019
SPEEDSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

This one may be small, but if used with a small air nozzle, works very well. It is quiet and runs no more than the larger tank versions I see other racers using in the pits:

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...sor-97080.html

Hose:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...ose-98944.html

Nozzle with ultra small tip:

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...set-95159.html

These go on sale pretty regularly. I bought the above three items at my local Harbor Freight for ~$54.00 with tax.

With this tip installed, I can lower the air output with the regulator and get plenty of power to clean an 1/8th scale nitro vehicle from start to finish.

I hear everyone when you say to stay away from these smaller/cheaper units. However, at this price and convenience, this is a great trackside compressor.

Because the tank is small, it will need to refill with every use. Because the tank is small, it also doesn't take long to refill.

Of the larger ones used at the track, they tend to cycle to refill as often as this one and take as long or longer to fill. Because they are larger, they are also a bit louder.

This one gets a lot of use as well, getting shared by anyone at the track who asks to use it.

I'll have a year on this one this March. Works as well as it did when new. If it dies, I'll buy another just like it.
President of SCR (just outside New Orleans) - https://www.facebook.com/scr.raceway
vwduud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwduud View Post
This one may be small, but if used with a small air nozzle, works very well. It is quiet and runs no more than the larger tank versions I see other racers using in the pits:

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...sor-97080.html

Hose:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...ose-98944.html

Nozzle with ultra small tip:

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...set-95159.html

These go on sale pretty regularly. I bought the above three items at my local Harbor Freight for ~$54.00 with tax.

With this tip installed, I can lower the air output with the regulator and get plenty of power to clean an 1/8th scale nitro vehicle from start to finish.

I hear everyone when you say to stay away from these smaller/cheaper units. However, at this price and convenience, this is a great trackside compressor.

Because the tank is small, it will need to refill with every use. Because the tank is small, it also doesn't take long to refill.

Of the larger ones used at the track, they tend to cycle to refill as often as this one and take as long or longer to fill. Because they are larger, they are also a bit louder.

This one gets a lot of use as well, getting shared by anyone at the track who asks to use it.

I'll have a year on this one this March. Works as well as it did when new. If it dies, I'll buy another just like it.
+1. I have this exact setup and totally agree. I make sure to drain the pitcocks and blow valve after every use. Works amazing and is more than really need. I also bought the protection plan (which I rarely do) so if something should happen, I can bring it in and they will give me a new one.
305M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #14
Tech Adept

for your purpose you need the harbor freight. they leak and piss oil but it will do the job. 1.5 is ok its just gonna keep running an not shut off. harbor freight keeping china pumpin since 1993!
WWW.ABSOLUTEHOBBYZ.COM////////TEAM DURANGO//////O.S SPEED///////ACE /////////////BYRONS GEN2 30///////WWW.RCALLSTICKERS.COM////////WWW.GETSMACKEDINTHEMOUTHJUSTFORBREATHING.COM/////////////SPEKTRUM////////
we go hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by we go hard View Post
for your purpose you need the harbor freight. they leak and piss oil but it will do the job. 1.5 is ok its just gonna keep running an not shut off. harbor freight keeping china pumpin since 1993!
I've heard the concerns about oil leaks, but have yet (fingers crossed, knock on wood) to experience that. Also, I use lots of pipe tape to secure the connections. No issues.
305M3 is offline   Reply With Quote