R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default upgrade engine

I have a jato 3.3 and upgraded just about every part known, now with the extra weight its its not the wheelie machine it used to be. can someone tell me is there a more powerful engine then the trx 3.3 that will fit in the jato???
Rupert 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you want a lot of torque cant ya just swap the ratios out instead of buying another full motor?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Maybe its your motor. I just put a bunch of aluminum parts on today. Pretty much everything except the top plate chasis and added a roll bar. Still pulling wheelies with ease
cr8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

ok i'll try different ratios, thanks for the response
Old 02-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
Tech Regular

I'm not a well rounded R/C guy, but in Drag Racing and Stock Car Racing, we use ratios to adjust torque/top speed. The closer you bring the ratio to 1:1 the higher the top speed, you stray from that one way or the other and you'll gain top speed and lose torque, or gain torque and lose top speed. Im sure someone on here has a nice write up for the different ratios. Ill see what i can dig up for you, but im assuming you probably had a different gear ratio before you changed your motor, if not the motor could have a different "profile" than your older motor. Proper ratios can make all the difference in the world.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

mine is stick gearing. adjust your slipper clutch to max traction if u havent already. mine is adjusted all the way in and then half turn out. Also my engine is tuned to race settings which is right on the borderline of too lean
Old 02-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
Tech Regular

he also swapped out the motor, im doubting it'd be his clutch, he says it wont pop wheelies, not that its slipping. im thinkin he needs a different gear ratio. maybe a slightly smaller pinion gear, or a slightly larger drive gear. My wording may be off, but thats what it sounds like he needs. basically smaller gear coming off the motor, larger gear on the axle, itll provide more torque because the motor will have to turn more times to make the axle turn once, thats an increase in torque for sure.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

he never said he swaped the engine..... he's looking for a more powerful engine...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPACTPLAYR View Post
he never said he swaped the engine..... he's looking for a more powerful engine...
Ty. Thats what I was going to say. And as for the slipper clutch it is loosen or tighten for traction. Maybe he has it on the looses setting so it is not grabbing all the power from the motor. Yes I think u can put the ofna picco .26 max in it. It will work in the revos and tmaxx so I would think it would work in the jato as well, but not positive
Old 02-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Musta read it wrong, thought it said "upgraded everything including more powerful motor"... still, with that being said, my idea of a different gearing setup is valid. If he changed nothing else other than weight, changing gears up would be beneficial.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

You right changing gear ratio would def. Help, but my motor is the same with stock gearing and everything on my car is alu. So if I can still ride wheelies than his should also be able to without changing gearing. I'm just saying
Old 02-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Again ill say, im not real rounded in the rc world lol.

But, wouldnt there be other clues that his clutch was slipping too much? The old go kart my brother had use a clutch that worked on the same principle as whats in these cars, as they would get older and worn out you would notice really high revs till it grabbed hold then really slowly gaining speed. So that leads me to wonder if his is slipping, or if its a gearing issue, both are viable options the more i think of it. If its gearing it would be more of a bog, like a car in second gear from stop, if its slipping wouldn't it rev, begin to move, and then pick up speed? Again, all of my current experience is with full size motors, and such, so i could be WAY off.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:06 AM   #13
Tech Apprentice

It would seem like the motor would rev higher with the slipper adjusted further out but I am not sure on that cuz when i adjust mine it is not even noticeable when it comes to the rev of the engine. I do however notice how fast it picks up speed when it is adjusted tighter tho. Just my experience with it.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #14
Tech Initiate

i didnt change motor i just went on a spending spree and bought all new alu bits and the weight has definitely increased, i tightened up the slipper and leaned it out as much as poss before running too hot. i'l get some different ratio gears,