R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As far as I am concerned, the OP made a troll post drive by shooting style...

Both JQ and Durango are equally capable cars in the right hand, only time will tell which one is better overall.

If you're in control, you're not driving it fast enough!

XRAY / NOVAROSSI / SANWA / AKA TIRES / BYRON FUEL
ganymede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brushlessboy16 Send a message via Yahoo to Brushlessboy16

When it comes down to it, If someone Ding-dong Ditched your house leaving a set of un opened boxes, THE car and a dnx408, you wouldn't care which one is better. Its kind of a shame that people keep trying to compare cars that (usually) only deviate off the beaten path by a matter of millimeters or grams.

9 times out of 10 you can setup your car to drive how you like. How the car is made, or made around has a little bit of an effect unlike using the wrong tires at your track and then blaming the design of the car for not working how you imagined it.

As the old saying goes, Give a pro a rock, he will beat you on the track and beat you senseless with knowledge.

The point is that They are both great cars, and that people should spend less time bickering on the forums about moot points- and spend more time tweaking your car to make it how you want it. There is, nor will ever be a single car that will fill everyone's needs.

Enjoy what you race
-Ben
Unconventional Techniques, Superior Results.
Brushlessboy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:54 AM   #48
Tech Regular

Just wanted to say say Kudos to JQ for his news article (linky).

That's the way to do it! Open, honest and well put...

Jaf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:13 AM   #49
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Lightbulb

After reading the article that JQ himself wrote about his buggy on Neo Buggy recently, it has become a very clear to me. The JQ buggy is just not ready for "primetime" yet. Once all the kinks get worked out with the material quality and the final QC with the current manufacturer, then it will be much better. How long will this take; weeks, months?

The Durango has very minor issues when compared to the JQ or Serpent at first release.

If you want to be a test mule for a new company then get the JQ. If you want to spend more time racing and not worrying about broken spurgears, cracked servo saver towers and brittle plastics, then buy a Durango.

I have no loyalty to either brand and wish them both great success in the future.
hookem34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 217 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaf1977 View Post

There should be a caption at the start of every thread where the author has asked for community feedback on a particular (insert widget here) "Your feedback is not welcome nor wanted if you have NO DIRECT experience with what it is that I am asking for.

The JQ article was a great read from two perspectives. First, it was bracingly candid, cudos to JQ for shining the light on his on faults. Greatness courts failure my friend so cheers to you and your creation as you move into the THECAR v2. Secondly, he offers some excellent setup advice for his customers. Many of us run around in online forums or hitting up the local track fast guy looking for setup advice. Being weekend warriors and all most of don't have the time, though we wish we did, to spend hours upon hours at the track testing different setups and how various tweaks impact handling. This article offers a great place to pull setup advice that is track/driver agnostic. I wish more companies would have their top drivers offer setup advice in addition to their actual setups, cuz, lets face it most of us ain't(insert drivers name here).

Setup advice that speaks to the generality of how tuning changes impact a vehicles handling is so much more valuable than reading another racer's setup, as the data becomes so much more viable when you understand how changes impact the performance of the car. We all know the usual suspects around which volumes and volumes could be filled:
- Ride Height
- Camber
- Toe
- Ackerman
- Suspension (piston/oil/spring)
- Track width
- The ever elusive caster setting

I know there are tons of information out there in written form around what I am speaking on, but it's nice to jump on Youtube and see Adam Drake of Team Losi or Brandon Melton from AE talking about everything from how to properly build your car to the effects tuning changes will have on its performance.

Happy motoring!
rcjunky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #51
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem34 View Post
After reading the article that JQ himself wrote about his buggy on Neo Buggy recently, it has become a very clear to me. The JQ buggy is just not ready for "primetime" yet. Once all the kinks get worked out with the material quality and the final QC with the current manufacturer, then it will be much better. How long will this take; weeks, months?

The Durango has very minor issues when compared to the JQ or Serpent at first release.

If you want to be a test mule for a new company then get the JQ. If you want to spend more time racing and not worrying about broken spurgears, cracked servo saver towers and brittle plastics, then buy a Durango.

I have no loyalty to either brand and wish them both great success in the future.

I have a DNX408 that just arrived here for testing. Thought I would buy it for the heck of it to test myself. The build quality is very nice indeed.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #52
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

take a look at 5:30 in this vid

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Dnano
fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #53
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
take a look at 5:30 in this vid

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
This guy doesn't know anything. What a clown! hobao and hong nor are virtually the same? couldn't be more different! Hyper 9 is like a Star or something? What is he talking about!
DJG24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #54
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

He was referring to the new hyper 9 coming out called the "star". It's basically the hyper 9 with a pivot ball suspension in the front and some other minor updated.

I also would like to thank JQ for his honesty. I have had problems with various buggies only to have total denial from the manufacturer or their "pro drivers". Many of which are either clueless or in complete denial about the known problems. JQ sounds like he is running his business like many business owners. When they hear a problem or complaint from customers, they find a solution or a better way of doing things. Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away. He is actively looking and asking for solutions. It's only a matter of time before there aren't any problems left to fix. Good job JQ. Keep it up.

Last edited by 400units; 02-10-2011 at 05:58 PM.
400units is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #55
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400units View Post
He was referring to the new hyper 9 coming out called the "star". It's basically the hyper 9 with a pivot ball suspension in the front and some other minor updated.
I'm aware of the new Hyper Star buggy. My point is that this guy in the video is just going off internet chat and doesn't really know what he is talking about.
DJG24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #56
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to drs92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaf1977 View Post

X2 THETruth and working to fix the problem! I wanted a JQ just watching the vid on amain but went electric
" THEPlastics are good but can be improved" Seems like an awesome company and standing behind their product! What more can you ask for??
Old 02-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #57
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Brushlessboy16 Send a message via Yahoo to Brushlessboy16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem34 View Post

There is a point to be made that jq adresses the problems directly instead of other manufactures that change the susbject when parts failures are brought to there attention. Who's to say that durango hasnt made running changes.... We just dont know.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #58
Tech Elite

dorango dnx 408

Who makes this?
Old 02-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #59
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
dorango dnx 408

Who makes this?
The makers of Doritos have released an RC car.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #60
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzemaxx View Post
The makers of Doritos have released an RC car.
So thats why the shocks tasted so good..... hint of nacho cheese