R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   HUDY setup station measurements? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/478469-hudy-setup-station-measurements.html)

primus95 02-03-2011 04:28 PM

HUDY setup station measurements?

This is probably a stupid question but I'm a newbie to setup stations.

I'm using my HUDY 1/8th offroad station and all the measurements for toe & camber are taken using droop blocks under the chassis that are 30mm high and pressing the chassis down onto them.

I'm a bit confused as this is my first time using the station. 30mm is not my normal ride height, and with truggy wheels on, the car sits way more than 30mm off the ground (42mm is ride height), so how are the camber and toe measurements with the chassis at 30mm off the ground correct???

My -2 camber on the station is more like zero with the wheels on?

I'm confused . . . . . .

2fst2c 02-03-2011 04:42 PM

I usually set mine by getting it all setup...then with nothing under it I press the car/truck down and let it come up on it's own and take the measurements then. I push it down kinda quickly and let it raise up. I do that a few times as I make adjustments. Once it's set I do it a few times to make sure it's consistently measuring the same.

Brandon Melton 02-03-2011 04:47 PM

"camber gain" is a term referred to how much more camber the wheel gets throughout the suspension motion. Camber is not technically the same throughout any point of the travel. So measuring at 30mm is close to where a normal ride height would be. It is ideal to set your camber at whatever ride height you will using. If you run 28mm then make some blocks out of wood or something that are 28mm, but there shouldn't be too much difference between 28 and 30mm.

However, if you put a truggy on 30mm blocks, there would be a big difference normal ride height of a truck and the camber when set on the blocks.

Illbreakthat 02-03-2011 04:48 PM

The best thing for that is to measure and set your ride hieght with your wheels on first before putting it on the setup station then while on the station it should keep the same ride hieght you had preset. Then when you make a change on the station push down on the car in the middle of the car a couple of times to mimic a rough ground situation and check your readings again.

primus95 02-03-2011 04:56 PM

thanks guys. Using the truggy's ride height is how I actually started to take the measurements but I think I confused myself by reading the manual . . .ha ha . . .that will teach me to follow instructions.

Again, thank you all for clarifying that, I'll have another go at it now.

cheers
Glen

harris414 02-03-2011 05:00 PM

It really doesnt matter...
The setup station gives you a way to take measurments
over and over accuratly...
Now that you can do this over and over, it allows you to make changes and see if they effect the car the way you want.

jmackani 02-03-2011 05:39 PM

30 mm is normal for the buggies. I planed down my own larger ones for the truggy to match my ride height settings.

AZRC4Me 02-03-2011 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by harris414 (Post 8596312)
It really doesnt matter...
The setup station gives you a way to take measurments
over and over accuratly...
Now that you can do this over and over, it allows you to make changes and see if they effect the car the way you want.

I have the Hudy setup station - the point of the blocks is to give you a repeatable way to measure camber/toe. You could always make a few shims that are 10mm or so to set on top of the blocks for your truggy. I only use mine for buggy (sold the truggy for an e-buggy). Consider this also, even though you set a ride height, you are hardly ever at that ride height when racing, your truggy is always transferring weight and soaking up bumps. Ride height is just a static reference point.

Also, if I set a ride height of say 27f/28r, I know that whatever I set my camber to at 30mm will be slightly less than what it's at at ride height due to camber gain.

jmackani 02-03-2011 06:20 PM

That is the weird part. The hudy touring car setup stations do all toe and camber without any blocks but free hanging.