R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-04-2011, 04:29 AM   #16
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutch12001 View Post
Now im really not liking these hubs. Cant tighten the screws on the knuckle because they will bind the movement Maybe i need a Losi......
they come with plastic spacers that you have to put in place to raise it up a litle off teh hub
kgombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgombe View Post
they come with plastic spacers that you have to put in place to raise it up a litle off teh hub

Yeah.....all i got were the hubs, two ballstuds that fit nothing, 4 setscrews and two "fixing balls" that i attatched the camber links to. I'm just putting the plastic ones back on and considering finding another car......i cant stand this cheap plastic and $50 hubs that dont even fit right much longer
THE OHIO RC FACTORY
mccutch12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Now im really not liking these hubs. Cant tighten the screws on the knuckle because they will bind the movement Maybe i need a Losi......
Wash your mouth out with that talk.. We don't need no stinking Losi in here..
Old 02-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Quote:
Yeah.....all i got were the hubs, two ballstuds that fit nothing, 4 setscrews and two "fixing balls" that i attatched the camber links to. I'm just putting the plastic ones back on and considering finding another car......i cant stand this cheap plastic and $50 hubs that dont even fit right much longer
THE Cheap Plastic is very durable, and will last as long as your Losi plastics, maybe longer..
Old 02-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hahaha, i'm just kinda beyond angry with this car at the moment.....i break at least one plastic hub every weekend so i get the aluminum and they are so poorly designed that they will not function correctly. I actually like the car most of the time. Probably wouldn't get a Losi anyway.....go with the Serpent instead! At this point i just figured it best to stop working on the car and put the new TKO ceramics in the B5
THE OHIO RC FACTORY
mccutch12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Hahaha, i'm just kinda beyond angry with this car at the moment.....i break at least one plastic hub every weekend so i get the aluminum and they are so poorly designed that they will not function correctly. I actually like the car most of the time. Probably wouldn't get a Losi anyway.....go with the Serpent instead! At this point i just figured it best to stop working on the car and put the new TKO ceramics in the B5
I never had a plastic failure with my buggy or truggy, that I couldn't attribute to my own fault.. I am not trying to say you don't have a problem, but I'd liek to see your driving style, and set up. I have a feeling some changes might help you out..
Old 02-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #22
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyM View Post
I never had a plastic failure with my buggy or truggy, that I couldn't attribute to my own fault.. I am not trying to say you don't have a problem, but I'd liek to see your driving style, and set up. I have a feeling some changes might help you out..
same boat here... the plastic last me for ever and only replace them at the end of the season for peace of mind... i will only replace if it offers peformance advantage.. other than that plastic it is.... unless i get the hara rear hubs for cheap on ebay
kgombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #23
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jesse Robbers

If the alum hubs or caster blocks are tapped to a 3mm thread, use the 'fixing balls' (has the hole in the center of it) on the outer end of the turnbuckle ballcup. You may also need a longer M3 screw, something about 20mm long or a bit longer I think. I prefer to sue cap head screws for this application, the head strips out less easily when torquing the screws down. Use steel screws, stainless is weaker than steel screws. You have the option to tap the hole to 4mm thread and to use the optional steel 4mm thread ball stud for more strength. The 3mm screw setup you can bend or break screws in hard crashes. The 3mm screws also bend/break a lot easier if you don't thread lock them and/or check them preventing them from backing out.

Bound up steering, can't help you with that. Either some part(s) are defective or not installed properly. I've never had my spindles bound up. You have the caster block, kingpin bushings, 4mm kingpin screws, and spindles. Check to see if your axles are rubbing anything. If using Tekno axles this might be the problem.
Sponsored by: O.S. Speed, KO Propo, Sidewinder, Tekin, Thunder Power, Lunsford, Skipgear.com, Fioroni, Avid R/C, GMK Supply, Competition Heat, Dialed Inc., LiveRC.com, DE Racing, CIG2O, ANDROID Nitro Runtime Calculator App
Jesse Robbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you crank down the screws into the knuckles too tightly they will bind. metal, on metal, on metal.

I add blue loctite run both screws in and back off a hour or two. I havent touched them in 6 months. The plastic doesnt bind as if you crank down to hard it will strip.

Curts fast tracks and tube spikes are taking its toll on you. Next time it breaks, grab me, Jesse, Chad, who ever is around and lets see why you are have problems with that one spot.

Jesse is absolutely correct on the stainless vs steel strength factor. Stainless is corrosion resistant not stronger than normal steel.

Amain hobbies has the cap heads that he was speaking of.

Mine didnt come with the 4mm studs or I would have used those on the first version rear aluminum hubs.
Proudly using: Spektrum DX4R, Viper-RC Electronics, Reedy Batteries, & Pro-Line
Cancer Sucks
willbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Had the same issue. As Willbe suggested, I simply used locktite and backed off the screws and and 1/8th or so to relieve the mild binding.
Jeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jesse Robbers

Something isn't right if you can't tighten the screw fully (kingpin screws) while it's still free. I should be at Curt's track tomorrow.
Sponsored by: O.S. Speed, KO Propo, Sidewinder, Tekin, Thunder Power, Lunsford, Skipgear.com, Fioroni, Avid R/C, GMK Supply, Competition Heat, Dialed Inc., LiveRC.com, DE Racing, CIG2O, ANDROID Nitro Runtime Calculator App
Jesse Robbers is offline   Reply With Quote