R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Would I Be Able to Build a Kit?

Well I am 14 and I have a 1/8 truggy that I bought as an RTR. I have had it for about 2 years. Anyways, I want to know if it is very hard to build a buggy from a kit. I would still consider myself a newb because I really don't know to much about the hobby yet, so I don't know if I would be able to do it right with out ruining the kit.
K-man 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-man 15 View Post
Well I am 14 and I have a 1/8 truggy that I bought as an RTR. I have had it for about 2 years. Anyways, I want to know if it is very hard to build a buggy from a kit. I would still consider myself a newb because I really don't know to much about the hobby yet, so I don't know if I would be able to do it right with out ruining the kit.
Just follow the instructions and have a good set of tools. Take your time and you will be fine. If you run into an issue post it on here. It usually takes 10+ hours to build a kit.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Don't be intimidated, they are relatively easy just take your time dont rush it. In my opinion its a lot more fun to build a kit and a lot more rewarding and a learning expiriance. I will only do kits. Think of it as fun not work!
dragracechief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
Tech Addict

With a support network that stretches around the entire world absolutely
Team Byrons Racing Fuels
pntmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rangerjkb

Quote:
With the experience you already have, I believe you'de be able to build a kit with no problems. The instructions and parts quality with the new kits are superb and offer little/if any to guess or cause confusion. Building a kit in my opinion is the way to go and truly knowing your platform that you'll be driving.
rangerjkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
Tech Prophet

just, take your time as measure everything i would have to say the hardest thing with building a 1/8 buggy/truggy is building and adjusting the linkages and building shocks right you guess it that not my favorite thing to do .

the instructions included with 1/8 kits are easy to understand some can be confusing.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default well

I don't see why not. You might get a friend who will help you without doing the whole thing. There is only one way to learn...After you build it you might take it to a racer to check it over really good before you fire it up...thread lock on the clutch nut is a must. that was my first mistake way back when...
Gather up some tools that will help it go together nicely. It's tough for even a pro to build a car without some good tools....I say go for it....You will be much more proud when you race a car you built yourself....I still remember my first build, they didn't have rtr's back in the day. It was a tamiya frog...

I got the whole thing together and it wouldn't run. I called the hobby shop and they asked, Did you charge the battery? I was like uhhhh no...It was the dawn of rechargeables....The nicads were in a plastic case....So I had to wait like 8 hours to drive the dang thang. And it only lasted like 10 minutes...

Good luck
Old 02-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

most are picture manuels. A newb can build whats on the pic no prob.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Thanks. That gives me some confidence. I would like to get the Mugen MBX6. Does that come with a good step by step manual that is easy to follow?
K-man 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks. That gives me some confidence. I would like to get the Mugen MBX6. Does that come with a good step by step manual that is easy to follow?
if you want the MBX6, then buy a m-spec (its maybe 10 bucks more, i think), its pre built and the setup is pretty much spot on...the way its built is very good, ive seen people get them at the track and put their electronics and engine on it and start running it and nothing came apart or anything. just an option.
Mugen MBX7 Eco / LRP / Airtronics M11x
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
The pictures are good but the english is terrible - translated from Japanese and some words/sentences don't come across well. But the pictures are very accurate, the screws shown are exact 1:1 pictures so you can just lay a screw on top of the picture to make sure you have the exact size. PM me if you buy a Mugen and have questions, I've torn my kit apart so many times, I can build it from memory and don't even need the instructions. The best advice I can give is get a good set of tools like Frank L suggested. You tend to use your tools more than your RC is on the track, a good set will last you forever and will lead to far less stripped screws. Take your time, be patient, and don't try to get it done in one afternoon. Good Luck, the Mugen is a very solid platform, I love mine!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
if you want the MBX6, then buy a m-spec (its maybe 10 bucks more, i think), its pre built and the setup is pretty much spot on...the way its built is very good, ive seen people get them at the track and put their electronics and engine on it and start running it and nothing came apart or anything. just an option.
+1

Then you can tear it down after a run or two and learn how to build it, sometimes that's easier to do than building from scratch.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

If you want mugen and ur new buy M-spec for sure. Comes best built car from factory and set up is DIALED. Also if ur building a kit you need good tools, camber, ride hight, droop, and more. These are things u should have but if no m-spec comes pre set up.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I disagree about the M spec but its just my opinion, I can't understand why you wouldn't want to do the build outright. Much more fun to build. To me its just part of the fun but I like to fabricate and modify things too so its not even a question for me. I wont even consider a kit thats prebuilt. I guess some just want to get it and forget it but to me your missing out if you don't build it. Seems like a short cut and you miss all the good stuff!!
dragracechief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Naw

Get the M-Spec and take it apart...It sometimes needs shims in the diffs and tony's o rings along with grease on the ring gears. It would be a great start to tear down the m spec and get it race ready....All the holes are tapped and the shocks are built really well. Also check the set screws in the center axles, If they back out, it sucks....so I like to put some blue thread lock on them.... Just in case....and use that elbow 2.5 to snug the big setscrew more than a regular straight hex wrench...