R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Me personally would go for the kit instead of the M-Spec. Both are great. But one of the best things you can do when trying to learn stuff in the hobby is building a kit. As long as you take your time building, it truly will help you more in the long run in my opinion. If you do run into a problem, post up in the forum and there will be many people that can happily answer any question you have. You can also PM me and I will gladly help you out with any questions you have. The only negative with building the Mugen Kit is the manual is not the best. But the people on this forum will offer better instructions anyways. There are little things that the manual on both the M-Spec and Kit don't answer or tell you. I bought a few Losi 8ight rollers and even after I tore them down and built them back up, I still didn't learn as much then if I built them as a kit.

The Mugen shocks are very easy to build aswell.

Like I said though, if you get the kit just PM me with any questions you may have and I can tell you what I did. For example, just say "I am working on the diffs". And I will let you know everything you need to know about them. Little things like the Mugen likes to have it's diffs shimmed pretty tight at the beginning.
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:10 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRC4Me View Post
The pictures are good but the english is terrible - translated from Japanese and some words/sentences don't come across well. But the pictures are very accurate, the screws shown are exact 1:1 pictures so you can just lay a screw on top of the picture to make sure you have the exact size. PM me if you buy a Mugen and have questions, I've torn my kit apart so many times, I can build it from memory and don't even need the instructions. The best advice I can give is get a good set of tools like Frank L suggested. You tend to use your tools more than your RC is on the track, a good set will last you forever and will lead to far less stripped screws. Take your time, be patient, and don't try to get it done in one afternoon. Good Luck, the Mugen is a very solid platform, I love mine!
tc5_man's "english" is even harder for me to understand than a translated manual, sometimes I had to read his post twice to understand he said...

If you're in control, you're not driving it fast enough!

XRAY / NOVAROSSI / SANWA / AKA TIRES / BYRON FUEL

Last edited by ganymede; 02-02-2011 at 12:21 AM.
ganymede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #18
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys, all of this help is greatly appreciated!

Getting the m-spec does sound like a good idea because then I could just take it all apart after a while, clean it, and rebuild it and learn what it looks like when it is put together so I know how everything goes together.
K-man 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ah, come on. That would be like having sex with a beautiful woman and having someone else do the forplay, just wrong.
dragracechief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganymede View Post
tc5_man's "english" is even harder for me to understand than a translated manual, sometimes I had to read his post twice to understand he said...
I just assume he's using an online translator and doesn't speak English?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #21
Tech Adept

I totaly agree. Everyone should build a kit. very fun and you learn a lot and you should paint it your self its fun. Someday there will be no more kits all rtr and that will suck.You should build one.
fun hawg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #22
Tech Initiate

Kits are the way to go even when I got a RTR revo i disassembled the car and put it back together. Its really important to know how the car is assembled IMO.
Maggpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggpie View Post
Kits are the way to go even when I got a RTR revo i disassembled the car and put it back together. Its really important to know how the car is assembled IMO.
Good to know I'm not the only anal MF in this place, I did the same thing with my first LST in 04.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #24
Tech Addict

I remember a time when this wouldn't have been a question. I built my first kit at 12 with no prior RC experience. Take your time, read as much as you can and follow the manual. You'll be fine.
AMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

remember the kid is 14 guys! the M-spec is better for him unless his dad or someone older that can help when/if he doesn't understand the directions.
Mugen MBX7 Eco / LRP / Airtronics M11x
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #26
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Everything they are saying in here couldnt be more true. But if you are going to purchase a kit,do yourself a favor and purchase a quality set of tools for this build. You really get what you pay for when it comes to these. Good luck . Just take your time......
Old 02-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #27
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semple View Post
I just assume he's using an online translator and doesn't speak English?

no im american in speak english fine mr teacher
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #28
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
remember the kid is 14 guys! the M-spec is better for him unless his dad or someone older that can help when/if he doesn't understand the directions.

+1 i agree.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #29
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracechief View Post
Ah, come on. That would be like having sex with a beautiful woman and having someone else do the forplay, just wrong.
+1 so true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
I don't really see the problem when you have images that show how it's done, I'd still go for a kit.
It's not like someone that's 10 years older knows how to understand images better.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #30
Tech Master

Plus if you do get stuck. It's not like there is no one to turn to to get help. There are 100's of people on those forums that would be glad to help.
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote