R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
Tech Master
 
hookem34's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas.....Y'all!
Posts: 1,793
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Serpent 811 vs. Durango 408

Ok so I am about two weeks away from pulling the trigger on my first buggy. I have been a truggy racer for just over a year (Mugen 6T) and I am looking forward to adding a top notch buggy to my stable

So I have narrowed it down to either the Serpent or the Durango and I want your feedback. I really want to hear from people who currently drive one of these buggy's and am not interested in entertaining any other buggy's.

What are the major differences in the general handling characteristics between these two cars? For reference, I like to drive hard out of corners and I run on a big track that flows nicely (i.e. not overly technical) but is usually loose and rutty.

Thanks!
__________________
Dan Culver
Companies I stand behind with my hard earned cash:
KyoshoClockwork Racing EnginesPT Racing OilsJet Lube ☆ Futaba ☆ Competition Heat ☆ Revolve RCNovarossiBuku PowerBones Motorsports

Last edited by hookem34; 02-01-2011 at 05:57 PM.
hookem34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Tech Master
 
offroad dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,843
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

I had the same problem as you my friend. I bought a Durango and I like it but its really a*s happy or shall I say loose in the rear end. I'm thinking about trying a serpent next if I can find a used one.
offroad dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
D8
Tech Master
 
D8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East from ATL,GA
Posts: 1,285
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Serpent all the way!
__________________
Main Sponsor- My Wallet....
Mugen MBX7/Werks B5/M11
GS CLX PRO/Werks B2/M11
Sidewiinder Fuel
D8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
Tech Master
 
hookem34's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas.....Y'all!
Posts: 1,793
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad dude View Post
I had the same problem as you my friend. I bought a Durango and I like it but its really a*s happy or shall I say loose in the rear end. I'm thinking about trying a serpent next if I can find a used one.
Would you attribute this to set-up or more of a general characteristic of the Durango?
__________________
Dan Culver
Companies I stand behind with my hard earned cash:
KyoshoClockwork Racing EnginesPT Racing OilsJet Lube ☆ Futaba ☆ Competition Heat ☆ Revolve RCNovarossiBuku PowerBones Motorsports
hookem34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
porkchop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: o-h-i-o
Posts: 2,830
Send a message via AIM to porkchop Send a message via Yahoo to porkchop
Default

serpent all the way i have not seen many non pros have luck getting the set up right or to work on it.

i came fomr racing buggy for months to 8 full months of truggy
i still have truggy finger ever now and then and the serpent for sure can be set up to driven hard and fast and still be on times

if you need a set up hit me up
__________________
charles garten
serpent / novarossi / Desoto Racing / Absolute Hobbyz / ko propo / first turn racing usa / KustomRcGraphics / O'donnell racing fuel / Houstons Engine Service / sweep racing tires
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
Tech Master
 
offroad dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,843
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Durango part are dirt cheap. For $100 you can get enough parts for the whole season, and most likely you won't even them.

Serpent part are really expensive. It all boils down to what you want..Real Talk
offroad dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,850
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad dude View Post
Durango part are dirt cheap. For $100 you can get enough parts for the whole season, and most likely you won't even them.

Serpent part are really expensive. It all boils down to what you want..Real Talk
But the Serpent is $200 less to start with. And its very durable and stays slop free for a long time. You can really feel what setup changes do to the car on the track. Love mine so far. Second week out with it, and I finished less than 4 sec. behind Swizter
__________________
Serpent SRX8 electric
Serpent Cobra 811TE-E
Serpent S120LTR 17.5 1/12th and S100LTR Pro-10
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
Tech Elite
 
porkchop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: o-h-i-o
Posts: 2,830
Send a message via AIM to porkchop Send a message via Yahoo to porkchop
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad dude View Post
Durango part are dirt cheap. For $100 you can get enough parts for the whole season, and most likely you won't even them.

Serpent part are really expensive. It all boils down to what you want..Real Talk
you know the parts are up there for the serpent car but serpent is redoing the pricelist for the people and making it better
oh and btw i have had my buggy learning curve and the only thing i broke is a wing mount and the rest has been rock solid so buy the car that made the main at the worlds or buy the car that was only fast enought great rc tech thread ever
__________________
charles garten
serpent / novarossi / Desoto Racing / Absolute Hobbyz / ko propo / first turn racing usa / KustomRcGraphics / O'donnell racing fuel / Houstons Engine Service / sweep racing tires
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
schreff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,015
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to schreff
Default

I can help with some feedback here as well.

While I do run for Serpent USA and run an S811... I've driven a JQ car and a new Durango car helping friends with setup of their new rides at the indoor track we've been running at. The track is pure clay and extremely smooth with wood jumps so track variations are very minimal with the exception of how much water is put down. Traction is moderate, but not crazy blue groove.

The Durango car was a completely different animal than I expected. The car was VERY rear end happy. Getting on power hard would almost make the car spin out and it was very difficult to drive hard. Not something I expected. It could possibly be a setup issue, but hard to say as it was a box stock kit and I'm unfamiliar with the box setup. I recommended some diff changes and camber link changes but it didn't seem to change the characteristics much.

My Serpent has been unreal on the clay with lots of stability and plenty of steering. Granted, I've had time on the car and know what setup changes to make so that helps a lot.

While I know you're asking specifically between the Durango and the Serpent, I would honestly pick the Serpent. I'm not trying to be biased just cuz I run for them. I think the Durango is in need of more testing from their team to post setups to help people out. That lack of rear traction that I felt was pretty tough to handle and probably needs quite a few changes to get under control.
__________________
-Jason Schreffler-
TLR|Horizon Hobby|Spektrum|AKA|Team CRC|CR Graphics|TQ Wire|Radio Impound Podcast
schreff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
Tech Master
 
hookem34's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas.....Y'all!
Posts: 1,793
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreff View Post
I can help with some feedback here as well.

While I do run for Serpent USA and run an S811... I've driven a JQ car and a new Durango car helping friends with setup of their new rides at the indoor track we've been running at. The track is pure clay and extremely smooth with wood jumps so track variations are very minimal with the exception of how much water is put down. Traction is moderate, but not crazy blue groove.

The Durango car was a completely different animal than I expected. The car was VERY rear end happy. Getting on power hard would almost make the car spin out and it was very difficult to drive hard. Not something I expected. It could possibly be a setup issue, but hard to say as it was a box stock kit and I'm unfamiliar with the box setup. I recommended some diff changes and camber link changes but it didn't seem to change the characteristics much.


My Serpent has been unreal on the clay with lots of stability and plenty of steering. Granted, I've had time on the car and know what setup changes to make so that helps a lot.

While I know you're asking specifically between the Durango and the Serpent, I would honestly pick the Serpent. I'm not trying to be biased just cuz I run for them. I think the Durango is in need of more testing from their team to post setups to help people out. That lack of rear traction that I felt was pretty tough to handle and probably needs quite a few changes to get under control.
Jason this is GREAT feedback and I really appreciate all the feedback thus far. I am not at all concerned about the cost of replacement parts and my LHS stocks both of these brands. I really don't want to spend a lot Of time trying to chase the perfect set up. I just don't have enough time to do it

I can truly appreciate the "beauty" of the Durango and I want to LOVE it, but I also want a car that doesn't require 10 hours of practice a week to dial in.

This is my quagmire
__________________
Dan Culver
Companies I stand behind with my hard earned cash:
KyoshoClockwork Racing EnginesPT Racing OilsJet Lube ☆ Futaba ☆ Competition Heat ☆ Revolve RCNovarossiBuku PowerBones Motorsports
hookem34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
D8
Tech Master
 
D8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East from ATL,GA
Posts: 1,285
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

The Serpent buggy also has a bunch of upgrades and aftermarket parts available.. I also saw several Durango buggies last weekend at the 1st round of the Georgia State Championship in the PRO class and I wasn't impressed at all! the guys were having all kinds of setup problems getting around some sharp turns and other parts of the track., i read a post not long ago in a euro website a comment that some people feel that the buggy doesn't flex enough!
__________________
Main Sponsor- My Wallet....
Mugen MBX7/Werks B5/M11
GS CLX PRO/Werks B2/M11
Sidewiinder Fuel
D8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #12
Tech Elite
 
heavyjeffd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,796
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Serpent 811, hands down.
heavyjeffd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:38 AM   #13
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem34 View Post
Would you attribute this to set-up or more of a general characteristic of the Durango?
I wouldn't. I think the car takes a while to wear in and until then it is a bit tail happy, but once that stage is over I haven't found it tail happy at all.

Very stable in fact. I have only been racing 1.5 years and find it easier to drive than both an 8ight and an RC8..

I have found that it is far more responsive to set-up changes than anything else I have had experience with. Small suspension changes on the arms/towers make for a very different feel.
David1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:51 AM   #14
Tech Addict
 
Kolunatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: san antonio,Texas
Posts: 646
Default

I'm definitely not a seasoned driver, but I myself was looking for no flex. My rc8b was flexing to the point of broken engine mounts and chewed up clutch bells. I don't get as much track time as I'd like to but I'm happy with my Durango. I ran it awhile last weekend before my 4 yr old steering servo gave out, and not because I got it wet with fuel, noticed some problems when it was in my last buggy.
It was already showing better jumping abilities on short distance where my rc8 wouldve lost the rear.
I was running stock setup and xcons tires at rchq.
The Durango may not make me a better driver, but I like it, and
I look good !
Kolunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Serpent 811 Cobra Buggy Preston777 Nitro Off-Road 11732 04-22-2016 10:59 AM
Serpent vs. Durango...let the war begin! hookem34 Nitro Off-Road 18 05-24-2010 07:23 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:01 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net