Wiki Posts
Search

Driving How To-Steering in the air

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AlanHall
when we see videos of bigger events and tebo ,maifield etc etc are dropping the nose hard on pretty much every jump. are they really hitting the brakes everytime or the car is set up to fly nose down? i assume they are doing it becouse its not every jump that flys that way. just a good %.
They are definitely doing this on purpose. Just like Jesse stated a few post earlier. Its all about getting the wheels on the ground where you can go faster. Dropping the front end will help keep the car lower in the air and allow you to get on the throttle that much quicker once you land.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Yeah fosure. But I was asking are they on the brakes that much every jump or is the car setup to let the nose drop
Old 03-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Tech Addict

When you see cars go nose down pretty much immediately after leaving jumps there are two reasonable reasons why this happens? One is the jump is rutted and bad and the cars just can't jump it well or the driver isn't approaching the 'bad' jump properly. The second is the jump is most likely a higher speed type jump and the driver is doing this on purpose. This turns the whole top of the body something the air can act against getting the car onto the ground faster by kind of keeping it from going as high in the first place (if done soon and abruptly enough after leaving the jump face) and by pushing down on the chassis while the car is airborne. For smaller slower speed jumps, the benefit of doing this is non-existent and might be more for show if someone does it. The less time the car is in the air and the slower it is traveling means the smaller the effect is of doing something like this.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

great info. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jesse Robbers
When you see cars go nose down pretty much immediately after leaving jumps there are two reasonable reasons why this happens? One is the jump is rutted and bad and the cars just can't jump it well or the driver isn't approaching the 'bad' jump properly. The second is the jump is most likely a higher speed type jump and the driver is doing this on purpose. This turns the whole top of the body something the air can act against getting the car onto the ground faster by kind of keeping it from going as high in the first place (if done soon and abruptly enough after leaving the jump face) and by pushing down on the chassis while the car is airborne. For smaller slower speed jumps, the benefit of doing this is non-existent and might be more for show if someone does it. The less time the car is in the air and the slower it is traveling means the smaller the effect is of doing something like this.
So are you saying they are hitting the breaks on the face of the jump, or right after leaving the face of the jump?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Tech Addict

There is no standard answer for that, different circumstances call for different driving actions. This is something only learned with trial and error. Personal opinion or interpretation also plays a factor in this. Two drivers of equal skill may not do things the same for their own different reasons.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

lots of tire flipping here...

http://www.liverc.com/videos/20-NC_T...g%3A_Mix_Tape/
Old 07-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Tech Adept

Default how to fly through the air with the nose down and not endo

something no one has mentioned is how to tap the brakes up the face of a jump and not have the car just endo and do and front flip/tumble. I have a B4 and a B44. On the B44, I can let off the throttle at the top of a jump and it will fly pretty level and tap the brakes on my way down and it will nose-down slightly to downside the back of a jump, but if I hit the brakes up the face of the jump or just after I start my ascent and I endo super hard and the car goes tumbling. I have heard people here say "Jam" the brakes up the face of the jump, but if they are doing this, they must have a super mild setting on their radio or ESC for braking.

The B4 seems to be less susceptible to the big endo (2 powered wheels spinning in the air instead of 4 and more rear weight) but it will want to endo on my too if I hit the brakes up the face of a jump.

I have seen the really good racers (Cav, Tebo, Truhe) in person with their 2wd and 4wd buggies and on big jumps it looks to me like they are able to get the nose to point down almost immediately after leaving the jump and they simply fly forward through the air with their nose pointing down. You can REALLY see it when they are racing 8th scale buggies. How the F do they do this and keep the back end from going over the front? Do they just dial in enough drag brake so when they hit a jump, they just let off the throttle and it takes care of itself and they give small inputs to the throttle or brake as necessary?
Old 07-17-2011, 06:12 PM
Tech Regular

These discussed techniques do work, and ive found that under teh right conditions, they do come in handy.
A decent example would be to look at the 2010 world 1/8th offroad champs, on the step on-step off just before the carousell, drivers peg the landing by applying right hand steering to angle the car for the left hand turn....
Old 07-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bryan562
something no one has mentioned is how to tap the brakes up the face of a jump and not have the car just endo and do and front flip/tumble. I have a B4 and a B44. On the B44, I can let off the throttle at the top of a jump and it will fly pretty level and tap the brakes on my way down and it will nose-down slightly to downside the back of a jump, but if I hit the brakes up the face of the jump or just after I start my ascent and I endo super hard and the car goes tumbling. I have heard people here say "Jam" the brakes up the face of the jump, but if they are doing this, they must have a super mild setting on their radio or ESC for braking.

The B4 seems to be less susceptible to the big endo (2 powered wheels spinning in the air instead of 4 and more rear weight) but it will want to endo on my too if I hit the brakes up the face of a jump.

I have seen the really good racers (Cav, Tebo, Truhe) in person with their 2wd and 4wd buggies and on big jumps it looks to me like they are able to get the nose to point down almost immediately after leaving the jump and they simply fly forward through the air with their nose pointing down. You can REALLY see it when they are racing 8th scale buggies. How the F do they do this and keep the back end from going over the front? Do they just dial in enough drag brake so when they hit a jump, they just let off the throttle and it takes care of itself and they give small inputs to the throttle or brake as necessary?

Hit the brakes right before leaving the jump and tap the gas immediately after to stop your car or truck from over rotating and tumbling.