Wiki Posts
Search

Driving How To-Steering in the air

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drewmugx5t
If you were jumping into a right hand turn, turn the wheels to the left. this will make the car fly so that the right wheels are lower, this setting it up to turn right. right before you land turn back to the right and accellerate through the corner. As a retired mx guy there are ways to stay lower on jumps with an rc car, mostly brakeing or letting off on the jump face and letting the chassis drag.

I'm sorry but there is no way to "scrub" the way James does it on a motorcycle. Try to find an atv racer "scrubbing" a jump like james does, it has more to do with the number of wheels than anything else.
Good info, thanks!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

You can scrub a jump in RC just like MX by using the brake on the face. Its all about hitting it at the right time and how much. You also let the nose drop to push the car down...

As for turning in the air its all about setting up for the next section/turn, and sure its got some style if done right...

Think of it just like using gas/brakes in the air if jumping normal.
If you turn right slightly off a jump face to hit a inside right hand turn, the left side of the car will drop just b/c of how the car angle off the jump. So you would turn left and blurp the gas, this will bring the left side up just as it will bring the front up.... you then turn right to set up for the turn and use the throttle brake to level car for landing...

It takes practice as the car will react in many ways when turning off a jump face as they are not the same, some steeper, some longer and some just little kickers...

When done right its fun to setup a jump for an inside turn
Old 02-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

As you can see in riders video he actually turns waaay before the face of the jump which of course whips the bike around and stays alot lower then everyone else which in turn he lands quicker and can jam on the gas to cut down on lap times...ive been doing this for years in supercross...I am actually getting close to doing this perfect in my buggy..instead of on the gas right before the fast of the jump..i actually slow down or tap the brakes before the jump..an right before the face just like that video i jam on the gas and turn the wheels..when you do that it breaks the tires loose which in turn whips the cars and you stay lower since your not actually jumping from the face of the jump..like everything in life PRACTICE makes perfect..try it out and let me know how it works for you!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

What's your name?
Old 02-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Zack....Trust me im no pro driver or anything like that...just a guy that's been in the hobby for awile and have alot of free time on my hands since i work on road and home months/years at a time!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

just think about how a giroscope works...thats what your doing when you pitch your vehicle in the air. there is many reasons why you may do this but usually its to correct a bad take off off of a jump. also it can set you up for a corner. its usually easier to do with a 4wd vehicle, but with a 2wd vehicle you can adjust how your nose is sitting in the air. i would just suggest to watch videos on you tube and ask around at your lhs. people there should be a wealth of knowledge. good luck!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by harris414
You can scrub a jump in RC just like MX by using the brake on the face. Its all about hitting it at the right time and how much. You also let the nose drop to push the car down...

As for turning in the air its all about setting up for the next section/turn, and sure its got some style if done right...

Think of it just like using gas/brakes in the air if jumping normal.
If you turn right slightly off a jump face to hit a inside right hand turn, the left side of the car will drop just b/c of how the car angle off the jump. So you would turn left and blurp the gas, this will bring the left side up just as it will bring the front up.... you then turn right to set up for the turn and use the throttle brake to level car for landing...

It takes practice as the car will react in many ways when turning off a jump face as they are not the same, some steeper, some longer and some just little kickers...

When done right its fun to setup a jump for an inside turn

Nice description. The mental training has begun.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

if you have a lander that ends right at a turn, in a double turn the wheels the way of the turn as you are rising the face of the jump. the car will fly straight with a bit of sideways action. if in a triple when you come off the jump you turn the wheels opposite of the turn thats coming up next, inertia will make the back end of the car move the same direction the wheels turn (if wheels turned left the back of the car goes left making the car face more to the right), right before you land you turn the wheels the opposite way and you are half way around the turn before you even land. it helps if done right, if done wrong you're certain to crash. if done too much its just a bad habit.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I personally think that coming to a jump much faster than usual and letting the chassis drag the top of the lip by NOT tapping throttle and letting the momentum carry the car keeps it much lower. I have also noticed that different brand cars react slightly different to this technique.

Its this simple. Bikes have 2 wheels and buggies have 4. The whole scrub whip thing IMO isnt going to work well for a car.... I personally think that landing the car at a slight angle, either front to rear, left to right or a little of BOTH actually settles the car nicely, allowing one wheel to absorb the shock at a time.

Pitching the car when landing into a turn is a whole different conversation. I think a lot of folks here are trying to associate motocross with rc and thats ok, but not with techniques like these. IMO!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:31 PM
D8
Tech Master

if you were a good MX rider then you have a great idea on how it gets done but, it is more difficult on 4 wheels.. it takes some good practice to get it down!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

How many people are going to break axles, hinge pins and hubs trying to do this now?

worry about corner speed

while your trying your lil whips and tumbling and breakin ill be huggin corners full throttle!!! BRAAPPP!!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Tech Regular

I keep watching this awsome video inspired by MX videos. JQ shows how you CAN change directions in the air at 55 sec. into the clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2byc7FZ04s

and this one about 1:27 through
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQEkES4_m58
Old 02-01-2011, 08:12 PM
D8
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RockStar_199
How many people are going to break axles, hinge pins and hubs trying to do this now?
i wonder the same..
Old 02-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D8
i wonder the same..
me too ... but then again if you can get it down it will be faster...
Old 02-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My laps got faster last season learning how to have the car pointed toward the upcoming corner. Still learning how to control the car in the air as second nature.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.