Old 02-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
here is a good video of whipping. scrubbing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Yr5l8RXvA
Great video to show the technique.....thanks...Now to figure out how to do it......
Old 02-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I turn in the direction I want to go . At our track there is a double with an immediate left so I turn in the air hold it when I land then it helps rotate my cars through the turn.
DezSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Steering in the air could help setting your car up correctly for the next section or to balance out the car while in the air. A very good example was seen at the 2009 Off-Road Gas Nats at Leisure Hours, where there was a double between 2 left hand turns. If you did not counter steer the car in the air to flatten out the car, you would land on the outside wheels. By counter steering in a section like that and using the throttle a little bit, you can bring the inside of the car down to land on 4 wheels instead of 2. It's counter intuitive, as you steer (in this specific example) right, while you are between two left hand turns.... For sure takes practice to get it down!
ehartman_49348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlz View Post
Yessir. I don't think its do able in Rc.. accept maybe running a little softer setup so it soaks up the momentum and flys a little lower?
it works in RC also, just harder to do than MX
Mugen MBX7 Eco / LRP / Airtronics M11x
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider313 View Post
Its not really scrubbing. As a motocross racer the scrub takes place on the face of the jump by laying the bike over so the suspension rebounds at an angle instead of up. As a result you stay lower and faster to the ground.

I prefer to call what the OP is talking about with RC cars as "Pitching" for you are pitching the cars angle in the air to set up your next corner. Since this is done in the air and not on the face of the jump its not truly scrubbing.

Just my 2 cents
I agree scub in mx is way diffrent from rc scrub. In rc scrub you want to get low to save some time, and you dont really whip the car. The fastest scrub in rc i see is carry speed then at nose tap brake and u should scrub and perfectly nose the jump allowing you to gas it smootly on the landing for more momenom. Or when ur a lil to far nose down hit gas and straighten the car. Not real hard to do also steering in air is easy. Its like a reflex to me, and you know how the car should react to what ur doing, most just twist back and forth for looks. Also turning can pitch the car a diffrent way for like i said before to line up for a turn. Also like rider said, Rider is spot on imo!

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

here is a good video of the suspension unloading at an angle and not rebounding up for a motocross scrub. showing its not possible with an RC car.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Yes its an old vid but it shows the suspension movement best.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider313 View Post
Its not really scrubbing. As a motocross racer the scrub takes place on the face of the jump by laying the bike over so the suspension rebounds at an angle instead of up. As a result you stay lower and faster to the ground.

I prefer to call what the OP is talking about with RC cars as "Pitching" for you are pitching the cars angle in the air to set up your next corner. Since this is done in the air and not on the face of the jump its not truly scrubbing.

Just my 2 cents
not always true. there is TONS of ways to scrub in MX. you dont have to lay the bike over on the take off to stay low. i could stay lower than most people that lay it over and i didnt, you can turn the bars at the last second, take feet off the pegs and brake up the face and stay much lower with less effort... but this isnt a MX lesson .... but same goes for RC if you flip the wheel at the last sec or brake up the face you can stay far lower than anyone else so its like scrubbing ... scrubbing came from scrubbing speed, its not always like the MX video of Stewart.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Whipping the car in the air is certainly not just for show. It is very useful when setting up for a corner right after a jump, or to flatten the car out after a bad takeoff or even to correct the car side to side on a landing. It takes some practice to get it right, but it can be very useful when you do.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Quote:
not always true. there is TONS of ways to scrub in MX. you dont have to lay the bike over on the take off to stay low. i could stay lower than most people that lay it over and i didnt, you can turn the bars at the last second, take feet off the pegs and brake up the face and stay much lower with less effort... but this isnt a MX lesson .... but same goes for RC if you flip the wheel at the last sec or brake up the face you can stay far lower than anyone else so its like scrubbing ... scrubbing came from scrubbing speed, its not always like the MX video of Stewart.
What you describing is soaking up a jump to not launch as high and you will loose a major amount of speed doing that. When a scrub is preformed properly you are going way faster at the face of the jump then you would if you were to not scrub it. But like you stated this is not an MX lesson. If you want those and live in MN PM me and i will be glad to help you out.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AlanHall Send a message via Yahoo to AlanHall

Quote:
it works in RC also, just harder to do than MX
I meant an actual mx style scrub.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to RockStar_199 Send a message via MSN to RockStar_199 Send a message via Yahoo to RockStar_199

TRUE SCRUBS
J&T Bearing Co.
RC Pro TX10280
RockStar_199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #27
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to grubster

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
Great video to show the technique.....thanks...Now to figure out how to do it......
THanks guys! This slowmo video is perfect. It appears he turns opposite of the direction he wants the car to rotate and hits the gas. He turns to the left and hits the gas and the car appears to simultaniously rotate back, pitch to the right, and spin to the right. It seems that pitch happens more at first and more spinning the longer he holds it. THen he turns back to the right to pitch the car back to level before landing....what do you guys think?
grubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubster View Post
THanks guys! This slowmo video is perfect. It appears he turns opposite of the direction he wants the car to rotate and hits the gas. He turns to the left and hits the gas and the car appears to simultaniously rotate back, pitch to the right, and spin to the right. It seems that pitch happens more at first and more spinning the longer he holds it. THen he turns back to the right to pitch the car back to level before landing....what do you guys think?
all in all, it just takes PRACTICE and alot of it
Old 02-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to CJ Weaver

It's the same concept as Motocross. If you turn off of a jump, you can approach is much faster and not overshoot it like someone above said. You can also do it to set-up for a corner that is right after the jump.
CJ Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

If you were jumping into a right hand turn, turn the wheels to the left. this will make the car fly so that the right wheels are lower, this setting it up to turn right. right before you land turn back to the right and accellerate through the corner. As a retired mx guy there are ways to stay lower on jumps with an rc car, mostly brakeing or letting off on the jump face and letting the chassis drag.

I'm sorry but there is no way to "scrub" the way James does it on a motorcycle. Try to find an atv racer "scrubbing" a jump like james does, it has more to do with the number of wheels than anything else.

MBX6-XZ-B Speed, MBX6T-Ninja, Hitec, Savox, Futaba 4pk
drewmugx5t is offline   Reply With Quote