R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Hotbodies D8 Set up Help!!!

Well I got a D8 and have about 5 or 6 races on it now. I raced it this last weekend and every little bump I hit the car was very jumpy. Going down the straight away and cornering was great but any little jump or roller would jump it around really bad. The local hotbodies sponser man set up my car to the way he has his and his is like on rails. Mine on the other hand is not. Any set up ideas to make the car more planted and be able to hit jumps and not bobble every landing would be great. Oh and please talk to me like im a retard. I was also looking at some oh the Pro setups on hb website. If you think that any of those would help let me know. Thanks.
Fatam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Did he setup your car before you ran any that day? If it wasn't broke don't fix it and go back to what you were running if you liked it.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatam View Post
Well I got a D8 and have about 5 or 6 races on it now. I raced it this last weekend and every little bump I hit the car was very jumpy. Going down the straight away and cornering was great but any little jump or roller would jump it around really bad. The local hotbodies sponser man set up my car to the way he has his and his is like on rails. Mine on the other hand is not. Any set up ideas to make the car more planted and be able to hit jumps and not bobble every landing would be great. Oh and please talk to me like im a retard. I was also looking at some oh the Pro setups on hb website. If you think that any of those would help let me know. Thanks.
thats your problem right there. his is setup for his likings... a setup that works for one usually doesnt work for the next. everyone does a little something different. you cant copy a pro's setup either, start with the basic setup, run it and then make tweaks. the pro's and the local HB driver setup are aggressive and have to be driven hard to work.
Mugen MBX7 Eco / LRP / Airtronics M11x
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

lots of setups and tips in the existing HB threads
Old 02-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Try looking through the D8 thread. I came to realization that I need the longer rear shocks on my car for my track no matter what i did the rear was just loose all over. That maybe your problem.
DezSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Fatam give me a call. It looked like your shock oil was a litle heavy for the cold temps. we were racing in. Ill help you any way I can.
Steve
Losi 22 Buggy
Losi xxx SCT
aj slidways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Cool

That's the thing the ass end has never been good. I made no changes before the race. The buggy has never driven right. Just looking for pointers. I will check out the threds and steve I will do buddy. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

yes Adam your oil might be a tad heavy for this cold temp. last time u raced was couple months ago , car always seems to look good though
Owner of Midwest Rc Tour
blktransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Change oils, maybe work on shock rebound so bumps will soak up better. Also even though its a sponsored driver I prefer getting comfterble with the stock set up, then tweaking myself. A good set up to one is worlds diffrent from another. Also for rough tracks try long rear tower and shocks.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Did you let that sponsored driver run your car? If so how did it look when he was driving it?
I have learned that if I think I am off I will let a fast guy run my car and I will watch it. The only problem I have is the fast guys always rave about my car being dialed and it always looks fast when they drive it .
kvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

lol I hear ya ^^, I did not drive his car this past weekend. I had family obligations last time he raced was back in october so his car has been sitting for awhile dont worry Adam we will get it dialed in for ya just takes some trial and error and once kewanee is up and going I will be able to devote alot more time to this beings it will be closer to home. with the new baby at home I havent even had time to really dial my car in for indoors I throw it down and race it is pretty much how my last 3 races have gone.
Owner of Midwest Rc Tour
blktransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I have driven many buggies and the D8 is one tail happy puppy.
Several things can be a result.
1, More engine than your skills can handle.
2, To much clutch
3, Tire choice
What worked the best for me was running the yellow springs on the rear of the long shocks. While some claim the short shocks are fine, the longer shocks will make the car easier to drive. Not a faster car but one you can handle. Next, I figured more droop in the front will transfer more weight to the rear while on power. I installed the longer truggy shock ends on the front. Cut 3mm off the end and screw it on the shaft. Contrary to what you may hear about the front driveshafts, you can get a good amount of droop from the front.
This give the car much more control and tamed the rear down.
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here is a thought, try learing to drive your car. Stop trying to tweak it everytime the rear kicks out just a little. If a pro was on rails its because he was a Pro. Ryan Lopez of Team Losi(formerly Xray) ran his car to a podium finish as the pro series last year with a camber link bent in half at a 45 degree angle at that point setup didnt matter. BUT HE CAN DRIVE... its 90% driver 10% setup.
brandundecided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Ok guys you are taking this way to far. What im saying is that Ryans felt great and mine doesnt. Driver or no driver if your fighting it the whole time then its not as much fun. Its funny that everyone is so concerned about this and that. Thanks for the advice guys. No need to respond to this thread anymore. I dont need my mom to give me advice.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you cant take advice and criticism then why ask? We gave you legitimate responses. Im just going to leave it at that.
brandundecided is offline   Reply With Quote