R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)
Default Tires

I wanted to know if they is anyone who uses a hard compound tires. Ive use medium or M2 but never hard nor have i really seen anyone use a hard compound. But i was thinking, when it get hot like 95 and humidity is high like 90+ could a hard compound be used, do to the fact that the surface of the track is warm which might soften up the compound. Or am I thinking to much into it.
koopesv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

that is the theory, but i don't see anyone in my area doing it very often. myself, i usually run super soft compound and when it gets really warm i move up to soft.
nitroal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
Tech Prophet

im, not sure i never saw anybody use a hard compound on a hot day i mean i use soft compound tires on my buggy/truggy spring and summer when its dusty and really hot.

i use aka soft premounts city blocks/i-beams.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Compunds are used on what surfaces your on. Compunds are just tire life basically. Compunds dont really matter to a normal club driver normally super soft, soft or mediums are the norm. hard is never really used.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Ok thanks, I just wasnt sure. I see them for sale but not at the track. The track I run at is a little abrasive, could I use Hard for practice because of the longer life I could get out of them.
koopesv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

the hard compound will not handle the same as the softer compounds. if you are looking to work on your lines during practice, i would run what you race. if you are just looking to get some wheel time and not real concerned about lines and such, hard would be a good lasting option. i personally practice with what i race with. there are times when a bunch of us get together to just go to the track and tear up some dirt. on those days i have some harder compounds and also some worn out racers that i will run so i don't wreck my good tires.
nitroal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to CJ Weaver

The only time you see anyone run Hard compound tires is when it is hot out and they have to run a 45 minute main on an abrasive track.
CJ Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I usually run a harder compound tire than most racers I know,

My thought is this. A harder tire will last longer, is usually cheaper to come by as many want the soft or super soft tire from their favorite tire Mfg. of choice. I have ran soft and super soft tires and some days they are the ticket. The issue I have seen is that for one run, they almost always work, but put 5 or 10 runs on them and the rubber starts to tear just above the glue bead. My thinking is that the soft and super soft tires are too soft on the side wall and thus tearing itself apart. With a harder compound tire that isn't usually an issue, though I have busted the glue apart on the bead.

Most club racers try to get the most life out of a tire they can. I don't know too many club racers that can afford one run tires. I have a few sets for that, but not enough to do all the time. To help with the med./hard tires I have I do use a lot of Buggy grip. Most of the time it works for me and I actually like the smell of that stuff. I just recently started to treat the tread surface with the Buggy Grip and not the side walls. The thought is that I would gain better traction, but have a harder side wall. Not sure if it will work yet as I haven't got to try it out.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel Racing View Post
I usually run a harder compound tire than most racers I know,

My thought is this. A harder tire will last longer, is usually cheaper to come by as many want the soft or super soft tire from their favorite tire Mfg. of choice. I have ran soft and super soft tires and some days they are the ticket. The issue I have seen is that for one run, they almost always work, but put 5 or 10 runs on them and the rubber starts to tear just above the glue bead. My thinking is that the soft and super soft tires are too soft on the side wall and thus tearing itself apart. With a harder compound tire that isn't usually an issue, though I have busted the glue apart on the bead.

Most club racers try to get the most life out of a tire they can. I don't know too many club racers that can afford one run tires. I have a few sets for that, but not enough to do all the time. To help with the med./hard tires I have I do use a lot of Buggy grip. Most of the time it works for me and I actually like the smell of that stuff. I just recently started to treat the tread surface with the Buggy Grip and not the side walls. The thought is that I would gain better traction, but have a harder side wall. Not sure if it will work yet as I haven't got to try it out.
HAHA, you have not got to try it out because you sleep through Main races!

Just poking fun James..

I try to run Soft tires of Med/soft tires..

Tracks here are not real harsh on tires.. and i have a smooth trigger finger and i try to keep wheel speed to a minimum.
smokinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Thanks Marcus,

Though you've MIA for a while now too. Been getting ready for Az. and the Nitro Pit in a few weeks. Not a lot of time to try things out with snow on the ground or cold temps.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to roblupo

Is there anything you can take a new set of hard tires and soak them in something to make them soften up? You always see sales on Hard tires, just woundering if its worth doing for like club races. And are the tires consistant, like you soak four tires at once the same amount of time, are they all going to come out feeling "softer" but about the same?
Low Country R/C, Philhurdraceway.com, Savannah, GA
roblupo is offline   Reply With Quote