Need to settle this truggy thing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by devnull
Disagree...

Losi starts sloppy and gets worse.
And somehow manages to drive BETTER! Slop allows me to shoot through the rollers on throttle when others crash, or slow to a crawl.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Integra
Ah Ignorance is Bliss.

ah being bias is bliss.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Bugman
I agree with what my fellow racers said. I would see what truggy you get the most support for at your lhs and track. I own a rc8t but updated every thing to a ce never had any real breakage issues even though a few guys said before i got it you will be breaking rear hub,s only broke one once on a real hard landing off a big jump at one of the tracks I race at I think their both capable truggy,s just comes down to driving style in imo i think you will be happy with either one Good Luck

yea, thats what i was thinking the only way to break a hub on any truggy is a pretty hard landing or just a bad landing on its side.

a plastic one im talking about.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:48 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by melonpeel
And somehow manages to drive BETTER! Slop allows me to shoot through the rollers on throttle when others crash, or slow to a crawl.
Funny, I have this conversation about Losi slop all the time and it still is an absolute mystery how the Losi slop actually seems to help, but I agree that it does.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tc5 man
yea, thats what i was thinking the only way to break a hub on any truggy is a pretty hard landing or just a bad landing on its side.

I have never broken one, but they have worn out causing me to blow bearings, switched to alum and bearing last alot longer
Old 01-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by devnull
Funny, I have this conversation about Losi slop all the time and it still is an absolute mystery how the Losi slop actually seems to help, but I agree that it does.

I call it free forming suspension.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:57 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by token
I have never broken one, but they have worn out causing me to blow bearings, switched to alum and bearing last alot longer

i, never have broken one but on my eight-t on the rear hubs the outer smaller bearings kept on getting nochy so yea il probety get alum hubs no matter what truggy i get.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Both Losi and AE truggies are awesome! I personally like the Losi, but the AE is right there with it. Ive raced both, and can honestly say that the losi is higher maintenance. You really gotta keep an eye on your rear diff or else it will knock you out of a race in a heartbeat with stripped ring and pinion. I usually shimmed mine with one shim on a new gearbox and after every race i would check for play in the gears by hand. A little play is fine, but if you feel a big gap you should add a shim or two on the left side to tighten it back up. I would usually go until i had 5 shims max and then replace the gear box as the old one is swollen and the pinion bearing journals may be tweaked. This is the downside to the Losi truck, but once you get the feel for what it should "feel" like its just something you can do after a race when you go through your truck. On the upside, i think the Losi truck handles and jumps twice as good as the AE. Also, whichever truck you end up with, use Mobil1 synthetic grease to coat the ring and pinion and your shimming and maintenance should be cut in half!! Good luck in your decision!
Old 01-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by SuperSmoove
Both Losi and AE truggies are awesome! I personally like the Losi, but the AE is right there with it. Ive raced both, and can honestly say that the losi is higher maintenance. You really gotta keep an eye on your rear diff or else it will knock you out of a race in a heartbeat with stripped ring and pinion. I usually shimmed mine with one shim on a new gearbox and after every race i would check for play in the gears by hand. A little play is fine, but if you feel a big gap you should add a shim or two on the left side to tighten it back up. I would usually go until i had 5 shims max and then replace the gear box as the old one is swollen and the pinion bearing journals may be tweaked. This is the downside to the Losi truck, but once you get the feel for what it should "feel" like its just something you can do after a race when you go through your truck. On the upside, i think the Losi truck handles and jumps twice as good as the AE. Also, whichever truck you end up with, use Mobil1 synthetic grease to coat the ring and pinion and your shimming and maintenance should be cut in half!! Good luck in your decision!

of course the 2.0 t whould jump better its wider and more stable than most truggys .

i like a truggy thats not to easy to drive.

me i rather not mess with diff shimming and worry about when im racing.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Every chassis on the current market jumps well. Its all what the driver feels comfortable with.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man

Just to give you a little information. When the RC8B came out, they also made a running change to the rear hub. The hub was made stronger and out of a different material. The way to know if you have the updated hubs is to check them for a line. it will go along with the upper hinge pin on the outside. If your hub is smooth, it is the older and those will break easier then they should. The new plastic hub was much stronger, but i wanted the bling factor.

Also, i said earlier. With the Losi the outer bearings go bad fast. The kind heads rear AL hubs change the bearing to an 8x16 bearing, or you can go with the Modded hubs which are the stock hubs machined for a 8x16.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Bigedmond
Just to give you a little information. When the RC8B came out, they also made a running change to the rear hub. The hub was made stronger and out of a different material. The way to know if you have the updated hubs is to check them for a line. it will go along with the upper hinge pin on the outside. If your hub is smooth, it is the older and those will break easier then they should. The new plastic hub was much stronger, but i wanted the bling factor.

Also, i said earlier. With the Losi the outer bearings go bad fast. The kind heads rear AL hubs change the bearing to an 8x16 bearing, or you can go with the Modded hubs which are the stock hubs machined for a 8x16.

oh ok thats for the info yea why does the bearings in the rear hubs on losi truggys ?

on my eight-t the outer bearings last longer than the inner smaller bearings i do wonder if adding 1/2 hubs on it causes more stress on the bearings on it ?
Old 01-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Lots of info. Thanks guys for all the tips and advice. I pretty much narrowed it down.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:42 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bre1979
Lots of info. Thanks guys for all the tips and advice. I pretty much narrowed it down.
Narrowed it down to two???

LOL (had to, sorry bud)...
Old 01-26-2011, 02:55 PM
Tech Prophet

bre1979: if you want the rc8t champ ed and you dont have a lhs the cheapest price you can get it for is at www.discountrcstore.com.'

$179 plus free shipping !

i never shoped there but thats proberty were i will get my at.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.