R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   1/8 nitro run away car (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/474748-1-8-nitro-run-away-car.html)

jeff14346 01-24-2011 02:48 PM

1/8 nitro run away car

what is the proper way to help prevent a run-a-way vehicle do to loss of
signal to the reciever or battery dumps??? working with a Losi eight 4wd buggy
thanks

rc racer 103 01-24-2011 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by jeff14346 (Post 8539633)
thanks

to prevent a run away make sure you have a throttle return spring and make sure your receiver batt's are charged !! but if you do have a run away hold the car down on the ground and get my SAFETY NITRO ENGINE STOPPER (you can find in the for sell thread) and plug the pipe to shut down your engine b4 it blows up !! hope this helps !!

smccolp 01-24-2011 03:05 PM

Go buy you a failsafe bro! Although it only helps if your signal drops. As far as the receiver battery goes, Ive seen people wrap a rubber band around the servo arm to pull the carb shut. I dont know of any other way, and you have to use a strong enough rubber band to overcome the servo! On another note, if you plan on upgrading your tx/rx, some come with a built in failsafe!
Sean

tc5 man 01-24-2011 03:20 PM

just keep your receiver battery pack charged and make sure the connections are good and use a rubber band around the carb to close the carb if something goes wrong thats it.

chunk t 01-24-2011 06:57 PM

+1 SMCCOLP

I use a failsafe on all of my boats and trucks. a 50+mph boat with a whirling prop is nothing you want to see heading toward people; and an equally fast car can sure bite an ankle hard:cry:

pointforward 01-24-2011 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by jeff14346 (Post 8539633)
thanks

the simplest solution is to run a rubber band from the nub which connects the carb slide to your throttle link to the top-end adjuster. an average rubber band would be looped about 4 times. this ensures that your throttle stays closed regardless of whether there's power to the servo or not.

Stickman!! 01-24-2011 08:53 PM

They sell these little black rubber bands at wal-mart in the hair care section. They are ponytail holders. About the size of a nickle or quarter, they vary. Anyway you can get 100's of them for a dollar. Been using them for a few years now, they are so cheap I replace them every time I do my clutch.

Spektrum receivers have a failsafe built in, you have to set it up. A little tip some people set the failsafe to full brake. If you do this your car will stop in the middle of the straight and you won't be able to get out of the way, it will get slammed into and somebody will be mad. Also if you ever turn your transmitter off and forget to turn off your car, in 20 minutes or so your throttle brake servo will melt from trying to pull your brakes for that long. So set it to neutral so you can coast to the nearest pipe.

jammin32j 01-24-2011 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Stickman!! (Post 8541975)
They sell these little black rubber bands at wal-mart in the hair care section. They are ponytail holders. About the size of a nickle or quarter, they vary. Anyway you can get 100's of them for a dollar. Been using them for a few years now, they are so cheap I replace them every time I do my clutch.

Spektrum receivers have a failsafe built in, you have to set it up. A little tip some people set the failsafe to full brake. If you do this your car will stop in the middle of the straight and you won't be able to get out of the way, it will get slammed into and somebody will be mad. Also if you ever turn your transmitter off and forget to turn off your car, in 20 minutes or so your throttle brake servo will melt from trying to pull your brakes for that long. So set it to neutral so you can coast to the nearest pipe.

That is a good tip...My brother had his fail safe set to full brake and after the race he went out to turn marshal and his pit guy forgot to turn his car off. When he was done turn marshaling he noticed his car was still on....by then it was too late.

aussies1129 01-25-2011 05:04 AM

here you go mate problem solved:D
http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=19338

cbonner99 01-25-2011 07:19 AM

If you use the rubber band method, make sure you use the silicone ones. The ruber ones will deteriotate if fuel gets spilled on them.

jeff14346 01-25-2011 07:23 AM

thanks for all the tips :nod:

token 01-25-2011 07:40 AM

One aspect I see alot of people forgetting to check on their nitro cars is the electronics. When you tear your ride apart for maintenance check, and make sure all your connection are clean, make sure wires have not been partially cut. Make sure when you connect wires together, the two connectors (male/female) go together tightly. Any wobble or bad connectors, change!!!!! Make sure batteries in the transmitter is good. Dont try to save a buck and try to run your radio with weak batteries, same with the receiver pack.

Flipfly 01-25-2011 08:54 AM

If you wanna know how quick your car really goes, then let it run away, they always seem to be alot faster during a run away than at any other time :lol:

I use the reciever failsafe (Sanwa mqq 2.4 ghz) and carb O's to shut the throttle.

IMHO if you buy the best radio gear and make sure all your connections are good and change ya battery regularly, you would have to be unlucky to get a run away.

I still believe that the best failsafe is good maintainence.