R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-26-2011, 05:18 AM   #91
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFriery View Post
ive found the ultimate cleaning products.

a garden hose and an air compressor.

I must say I would of doubted this idea but at the Nats warm up race last year I saw Adam D run pretty much his entire car under a hose after running in the mud, including his motor!!! I was like wtf are you doing and he asked me how I would clean my dirt bike, hmm. I never really thought about it this way but it made some sense. Not saying I would do my clean up this way, I love the kal guard degreaser, however it was very interesting.
jay5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:52 AM   #92
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AlanHall Send a message via Yahoo to AlanHall

Everyone keeps saying how stupid it is to use water. But yet no one wants to explain how to clean anything accept a dusty car.
If your car is actually dirty.. and all your using is cleaner and a air hose you must be using a TON of cleaner and taking for ever. . With as much maintenance most do to the car unless you don't blow it off DRY or put any protection on it after cleaning then there is no reason for it to be rusty regardless of your method. Dry it good and pritect it.. done deal.. I used to have 6 KX85s to take care of a few use ago.. as well as I detailed cars for nearly 10 years then also. Plenty if experience with simple green and a airhose and wd40.. no rusrty kx85s lol. Im just not seeing how your getting the muck, buildup, and left overs of with nothing to rinse. Unless like I said your using a butt load of cleaner to rinse as well. Just explain it to us stupid ones how its done. Although I use simple green..water... hose dry And sc1. No rust... but im still curious if there's something better.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:41 AM   #93
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Melton View Post
Trevor- don't feel bad, I am with you, lol. The only thing water touches is a stripped bare aluminum chassis. I ran two races where we had to run in the mud, and each time I waterhosed and used a ton of wd-40 and air hose, and tons of the car still rusted. Besides, all the wd-40 that people spray on to prevent rust collects dust and trashes the car quicker when you go back out the next time, but to each his own.

As for cleaning, I only have two things I use, Greased Lightning "orange blast", and brake cleaner. If you actually try the orange blast you will never buy simple green again. The orange blast evaporates better, leaves it looking better, and also doesn't gunk up the bearings. Simple green is horrible on bearings. The orange blast is much thinner and easier to work with.
I think Grease Lightning is 10x better then simple green, But i do know that grease light will take off the anodizing on alloy, dont know about orange blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5280 View Post
I must say I would of doubted this idea but at the Nats warm up race last year I saw Adam D run pretty much his entire car under a hose after running in the mud, including his motor!!! I was like wtf are you doing and he asked me how I would clean my dirt bike, hmm. I never really thought about it this way but it made some sense. Not saying I would do my clean up this way, I love the kal guard degreaser, however it was very interesting.
+1 on cleaning the dirt bike!LOL
Brandon Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #94
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin32j View Post
Do any of you guys that do not hose their car off race on tracks that have calcium in them? I don't know about other states but in Florida a lot of the tracks use calcium to 1: hold moisture and 2: get the track to blue groove. Just wondering because calcium will rust a car faster than water.
++1 I was going to ask the same thing. In addition, those tracks that are using calcium of some sort will not fess up to it either. So, you can not get an honest answer.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #95
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlz View Post
Everyone keeps saying how stupid it is to use water. But yet no one wants to explain how to clean anything accept a dusty car.
If your car is actually dirty.. and all your using is cleaner and a air hose you must be using a TON of cleaner and taking for ever. . With as much maintenance most do to the car unless you don't blow it off DRY or put any protection on it after cleaning then there is no reason for it to be rusty regardless of your method. Dry it good and pritect it.. done deal.. I used to have 6 KX85s to take care of a few use ago.. as well as I detailed cars for nearly 10 years then also. Plenty if experience with simple green and a airhose and wd40.. no rusrty kx85s lol. Im just not seeing how your getting the muck, buildup, and left overs of with nothing to rinse. Unless like I said your using a butt load of cleaner to rinse as well. Just explain it to us stupid ones how its done. Although I use simple green..water... hose dry And sc1. No rust... but im still curious if there's something better.
I use Degreaser, if the car is heavily soiled I brush off excess with stiff brissle brush. Then degreaser and air. Works like a charm.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #96
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
How many of you are racing on mud everyweek? The bigger chunks of dirt can be knocked off, before you spray anything. The calcium, lime and all else that is sprayed on the track is way I try to keep water away from my buggy.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #97
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

only reason you seen Drake doing that was the 10lbs of mud caked to his vehicle.........what choice other than a hose do you have when a car looks like that.......I dont race my car in mud or on excessively wet tracks, if it gets muddy when Im out there, I pull off............I only club race, so nothing is on the line for me forcing me to finish under those brutal conditions.....I do all I can preventitive maintenance wise to keep my equipment in tip top shape.

KaL-Gard ROCKS!
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #98
Tech Elite

I dunno. I don't see the big deal with water. As long as yge after wash maintenance is done. Which id have to think its getting done regardless of method. How does kalgard stop rust?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #99
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

unfortunately, I cant give you a educated answer besides it just does'nt........man, when I used to race bmx as a kid, I would'nt even hose my bikes off...LOL.....but, obviously some do it and it's not a problem for them.....kudos
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #100
Tech Elite

So I was reading on kalgards site. Its funny the degreaser description mentions how nicely it rinses away with water lol
Old 01-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #101
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

www.Motosport.com had Kalguard products on sale this week. Degreaser was only $5.77 a can.
Sirio ExTech
Pro Match Racing
Ramirez24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #102
Tech Addict

Quote:
So I was reading on kalgards site. Its funny the degreaser description mentions how nicely it rinses away with water lol
+1...lol
O'Donnell, D.I.R.T. R/C ultimate Tire Gluer
Jeremy Davis
jammin32j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #103
Tech Elite

If it's gonna rain or be muddy. My buggy won't see the track. If I was Adam D I could go back to the pits and grab a new buggy out of my pit bag. I won't run in the wet no matter what race it is. i will watch everyone else clean up and complain about it. I've seen it to many times. I just stand back and smile.

Water only see's my buggy when it's fully taken apart. Usually after every time I race or practice with it. Except maybe shocks and diffs. Depending on the last time they were done. A clean buggy is great.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #104
Tech Elite

Water only after you race or practice? Lol... sounds like the best time to clean it
Old 01-27-2011, 05:59 AM   #105
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (85%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACEBOY View Post
To replace prep n shine use Pledge. No foolin. It's the best stuff for a good shine. I use it on all my street and race bikes.
Be sure to do your bike seat after all it OK....

NOTHING IS AS GOOD AS KALGUARD thats been proving

After you tried all the rest come back to the best KALGUARD ROCKS