R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
I personally use a switch. There's plenty of reasons not to, but if you mount them properly, use a dust cover, and replace them often you won't have any troubles. I've used both methods and the switch is much easier to use for you and your pit man. I'd rather change the switch every couple months than run a lipo dead or fry my servos by leaving the battery plugged in all day. Use good switches and they last pretty long. This is one electronic item that I think JR has down. The JR small switch is great(unlike the rest of their products!).
What's the difference between forgetting to unplug a battery and leaving a switch on? If your going to forget to unplug a battery, your going to forget to turn a switch off. So I don't think a negative to not running a switch is forgetting to unplug the battery.
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:06 AM   #47
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

just for the electronic builders:

http://www.eleccircuit.com/one-butto...93-and-irfz44/
Old 01-25-2011, 08:08 AM   #48
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanty140 View Post
What's the difference between forgetting to unplug a battery and leaving a switch on? If your going to forget to unplug a battery, your going to forget to turn a switch off. So I don't think a negative to not running a switch is forgetting to unplug the battery.

TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #49
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Exxaaaactly...
Byron Fuels-http://byronfuels.com
MB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #50
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
I don't know about you, but when I'm done racing I go out to marshall the next race like I'm supposed to. Meaning my pit guys have to take care of the car. It is easy for them to flip a switch off. Not so easy to find the plug and unplug it. Like I said I've tried both ways and the switch is much easier.

I think people blame switches for problems way too often. What some people don't realize is just like the rest of your car there are parts of the electrical system that need to be maintained too. I don't see how switches can cause any problems if you just maintain them.

Switches turn off in a bad crash? Easy solution, buy a decent switch that has some "snap" to it and mount it properly.

You guys can argue about this all you want, but take a look at the Pro's cars. You think they would really be running switches at the WORLDS if they were such a problem?

Sure I've had switches fail, but it wasn't the switch's fault. It was mine for leaving them in there for a year and thinking they should last that long. They're 5 dollars. Replace them often. Or play around with your little plugs. I don't care what you do. If you like fumbling around with little connectors then you shouldn't run a switch. If you're a normal person, run a switch and replace it every now n' then.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #51
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
I don't know about you, but when I'm done racing I go out to marshall the next race like I'm supposed to. Meaning my pit guys have to take care of the car. It is easy for them to flip a switch off. Not so easy to find the plug and unplug it. Like I said I've tried both ways and the switch is much easier.

I think people blame switches for problems way too often. What some people don't realize is just like the rest of your car there are parts of the electrical system that need to be maintained too. I don't see how switches can cause any problems if you just maintain them.

Switches turn off in a bad crash? Easy solution, buy a decent switch that has some "snap" to it and mount it properly.

You guys can argue about this all you want, but take a look at the Pro's cars. You think they would really be running switches at the WORLDS if they were such a problem?

Sure I've had switches fail, but it wasn't the switch's fault. It was mine for leaving them in there for a year and thinking they should last that long. They're 5 dollars. Replace them often. Or play around with your little plugs. I don't care what you do. If you like fumbling around with little connectors then you shouldn't run a switch. If you're a normal person, run a switch and replace it every now n' then.

The last sentence is hilarious!
"If you're a normal person, run a switch and replace it every now n' then."
Old 01-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #52
Tech Master

Quote:

LOL lots of racers where not running a switch at the worlds. For example Savoya doesn't have a switch in any pictures I have seen. And if you have the plugs setup right, it should be in the exact same place the switch would be. So if you can't find the plug, I have no clue how to respond to that but you may have bigger problems then how to wire you vehicle. And if your pit man knows how to start and fuel your vehicle. Unplugging a battery should not be any harder then turning a switch off. Switch's can fail at any time even if they are new. For example the switch I had in my MBX6T last year had 2 tanks on it. I was lucky and it failed during practice.

All I am saying is a negative to not running a switch shouldn't be forgetting to unplug a battery when people can forget to switch off there vehicle.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:33 AM   #53
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't see what's so hard about telling your pitman "yank this plug apart".

I think we can find better things to argue about, really. Like who has a bigger.........

.....Pitbag.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #54
Tech Master

I love my pit bag. It's average size but does the job very well.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #55
Tech Elite

Quote:

Old 01-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #56
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I love my pit bag. It's average size but does the job very well.
thats what she said
Old 01-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #57
JP4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This has been topic of debate a few times in our pits. I go switch-less here(after a few switch failures) and have for a couple of years now...but its not without issues. The Pit guy problem is the most common. I had a runaway 1 time from my pit guy not plugging my battery in all the way. Also...if you plug up while the body is clipped in...you will eventually crack your body.

I'm not for or against either way...but you have to use your head and turn your switch off or unplug it after the race.

For you Switch guys....What are some good switches out there? Please include brand and part number if you have it..I'm always open to returning to "normalcy"

JP
Old 01-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #58
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What's wrong with being special?

I like riding in the short bus, plenty of room.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (98%+)

No switch here. They suck and always go out at the wrong time. I have had 3 or 4 go out, No more. Just plug it in and forget about the switch!

Vision Racing Products (VRP)- www.visionracingproducts.com
"Smiley" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #60
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I use the standard JR small switch. Never had one fail. Never had one turn off. Haven't had a runaway in years. Don't plan on ever having one. Don't plan on ever removing the switch.

Pit guys have enough to be thinking about during/after a race. I'd rather make life a little easier on them. Being that I pit for a bunch of guys myself, I know what it's like trying to remember everything. If having a switch makes their job a little easier, that's what I'm going to do.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote