R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

811 handles good, parts prices are out of line, rear shock caps will be the most common part you will have to replace, bearings dont last long i raced one for a few months

durango looks pretty, parts are reasonable, dosent look good on the track there are 4 or more at local track havent tried one myself
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #17
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via Yahoo to Chad Millikan

I have had the serpent since it came out. And it drives Awsome. Super durable and they are taking care of little nick backs as they come out, such as the radio tray and they are coming out with new shock caps. Really nice build quality, no screw will back out due to tight standards
Old 01-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Well, bit the bullet and ordered one.
The buggy seems too be well made and handles good. The kit should be here next week and should have it out next week for a shake down.
Then I can see if I can keep up with the rest of you.
Honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I love my Durango. It was driving really good at the Nitro Pit. I would say drive both first. It has a different feel than the Car or Losi. I came from a D8. D8 is a great car but this feels more planted for me and turns better for my driving style.
Bernarossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjayjay1 View Post
I noticed the 408 was very skirmish in the rear from all the Youtube videos is this common? Coming for the LOSI what did you loose?
The car I drove had Losi green springs. Stock rear springs are way too stiff. The Losi seemed to react quicker for me. The 408 felt like an old Kyosho to me.

JQ Products, Pro-Line, TKO, Buku, Werks Fuel, Savox, A Main Hobbies, and Uncle Don's Hobbies
8ight-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I ran a friends 811 when they first released. Only lasted 3 tanks untill blew servo and stuck full pinned but I heard that issue was fixed. Car handled ok to me but the stuff wasn't even ran in, it was still all new(haven't seen the guy since). I personally think the shocks in front of tower in the rear is diffrent and i dont like it. But both durango and serpent are like that. I have not seen a durango but they seem nice. IMO i would say 811 but the dnx aswell is nice. Maybe just hold off and wait to see, maybe durango is nicer than what people think. As it hasn't been out long.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:07 AM   #22
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I came from a Losi, to the 408.

People say 'This brand XXX car likes to be driven this way, but that brand YYY car likes to be driven that way' and so on....

The thing I noticed most with the 408, is that I can hand my radio to anybody and they can go fast with it.

Tonight at the track, 4 different people drove it and all commented on how well it handled, the steering ability, etc. They all 4 had different driving styles and all were able to go fast with it.

The 408 has proven to be exceptionally durable, not breaking anything in 3 race outings with a not so great driver at the wheel (read as-I crash a LOT).
Add in that I race indoors, in 20-25* weather, so breakage is very common.

Not taking anything away from the 811, as it is a very nice ride. Friend of mine has one and it looks good on the track too. I have not driven it, so I can't comment on that subject.

Bottom line is this, both cars are very nice and you have a tough choice on your hands.

Good luck, but I really don't think either one would be a 'bad' choice.

BTW, the deciding factor for me was all the bling-bling on the 408.
McFly505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honu View Post
Well, bit the bullet and ordered one.
The buggy seems too be well made and handles good. The kit should be here next week and should have it out next week for a shake down.
Then I can see if I can keep up with the rest of you.
you got the 408 or 811??
Old 01-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #24
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly505 View Post
I came from a Losi, to the 408.

People say 'This brand XXX car likes to be driven this way, but that brand YYY car likes to be driven that way' and so on....

The thing I noticed most with the 408, is that I can hand my radio to anybody and they can go fast with it.

Tonight at the track, 4 different people drove it and all commented on how well it handled, the steering ability, etc. They all 4 had different driving styles and all were able to go fast with it.

The 408 has proven to be exceptionally durable, not breaking anything in 3 race outings with a not so great driver at the wheel (read as-I crash a LOT).
Add in that I race indoors, in 20-25* weather, so breakage is very common.

Not taking anything away from the 811, as it is a very nice ride. Friend of mine has one and it looks good on the track too. I have not driven it, so I can't comment on that subject.

Bottom line is this, both cars are very nice and you have a tough choice on your hands.

Good luck, but I really don't think either one would be a 'bad' choice.

BTW, the deciding factor for me was all the bling-bling on the 408.
Good comments coming from the 8ight are you faster?

What the one thing that shines coming from the 8ight (2.0??)
Old 01-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #25
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 View Post
I ran a friends 811 when they first released. Only lasted 3 tanks untill blew servo and stuck full pinned but I heard that issue was fixed. Car handled ok to me but the stuff wasn't even ran in, it was still all new(haven't seen the guy since). I personally think the shocks in front of tower in the rear is diffrent and i dont like it. But both durango and serpent are like that. I have not seen a durango but they seem nice. IMO i would say 811 but the dnx aswell is nice. Maybe just hold off and wait to see, maybe durango is nicer than what people think. As it hasn't been out long.
Radio is fixed on the 811 thanks for the heads up. Im buy a new buggy cuase these kits are different.

Your right the rear shock are backwards but thats one of the major reasons Im moving
Old 01-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #26
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Good comments coming from the 8ight are you faster?

What the one thing that shines coming from the 8ight (2.0??)
Definitely faster and way more consistant with the 408.

One thing.....hmmmm....

I'd have to say, ease of tuning?

What I mean is, on my Losi, I could make a minor change and not see a difference on the track. I would have to make a major change to see any improvements, only sometimes it was too much and the car went backwards.

On the 408, a 1mm change in ride height, or moving the camber links up or down by one hole, etc, etc, produces a noticeable change in the cars performance, without going too far.

Just seems like its easier to get the car dialed in to whatever conditions I am running on.
McFly505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #27
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have own a Serpent for a 6-8months now, and it took me a while to fall in love with the car cause I was chasing the setup. Since I put a setup on that everyone seemed to like and My love has grown. You point the wheels in a direction and it goes. carries alot of speed in corners. It's been very forgiving when I've made mistakes. And it's overall made me a faster driver.

I'm surprised to see all the negative comments about the Durango. There are a few guys at my track running them and it looks like it gets around so effortlessly. The top Durango driver at my track didn't follow the setup in the Durango manual. From what he's told me he pretty much put his Losi setup on the thing with a few tweaks and the thing looks very stuck to the track.

Overall I think either one is a great buy. The Serpent parts are a little more expensive and you mainly have to purchase via online, where as I'm seeing a lot more Hobby shop support for the Durango. The Serpent is a very durable car, bearings are a little questionable but I'm over the $24 price to replace every bearing from AVID.

It's like a good woman, go with your heart.

"A bad race day is still better than a Good work day!"
Goomba_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The Serpent handles great. It seems a little harder to work on than most buggies, but its very durable and fast. Its like an offroad car with a lil onroad flavor. Shocks are very good shocks. Durango still has to prove itself also from what I have seen the plastics do not seem as good as the Serpent.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
you got the 408 or 811??
I got the 811.
Honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:40 PM   #30
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I need to build my jq the car and come out to trcc for some fun as it sounds like the nitro 1/8th buggy class is growing. Between the 811 and 408 (not driving or owning either one) I have read how great the 811 handles. People compare it to a touring car in 8th scale. My vote would be 811 since Honu as one so you have someone to share set-up and spares if need be.
JQ The CAR LE #21
airboy808 is offline   Reply With Quote