Wiki Posts
Search

Tire softening tip

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tire softening tip

Have you found yourself wanting a softer tire? Did your buddy sell you his hard compound tires like my buddy did? Well here's a quick tip to help soften the rubber effectively and its way cheaper than buying a new set of duds. Find a spray can of paint stripper that contains the chemical NMP or the chemical toluene. I place a mounted tire with the flat side of the rim down on a rag or towel. Spray the paint stripper on the knobbys with good coating of stripping foam and let it sit. In 40* weather, an hour of sitting was good enough to take my hard crime fighters to a soft compound. keep in mind the stripper used, temperature, and tire will determine the time. Do this in a well ventilated area for sure! After sitting, you can was the residue off with a garden hose and simple green. I know this does work on other tires as well. These are the same chemicals we used in oval kart racing and it works wonders. My motocross experience has led me to believe that simple green doesnt soften the tires but conditions them, which is perfect for tires that are already soft.
Sean
Old 01-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have heard this before. Do you have a brand name for the stripper? lol Paint remover i mean.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Tech Adept

her name is candy! lol! its the aircraft stripper or the aerosol paint stripper. most of them have one or both of the chems i believe. its around 8 or 9 bucks a can but a quarter can got me 3 full sets of tires softened up.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Do they stay soft?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Tech Adept

Its been 3 weeks since ive done mine and I cant tell that they've hardened any yet. IMO, the cleaner you keep them the less prone to drying out the rubber is though. Also, if you can get it, creosote works really awesome too. Usually in karting, we used a special blend of creosote, diesel, toluene, and NMP. That gave us softening and tackiness and the tires never dried out.