Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
New to Nitro, have a ? >

New to Nitro, have a ?

New to Nitro, have a ?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to Nitro, have a ?

Hello all, im new to nitro rc's and have a few questions. I have a couple electric rc's but have never owned a nitro.
I traded a guy some old car parts for a Team Losi XXX-NT. He some how got it and never used it, which is why i got it. He said all it needs to run is a battery and charger and thats where im lost. I was just looking around tinkering with it and theres a battery in a little box on the back. Could that be the battery he thinks i need? or is there another battery?

It also came with a ofna universal starter stand. It has a wheel that spins when you push down, is that all that is needed to start the car ?

Sorry for the dumb questions, i am completely new to the nitro scene.
Thanks, Johnny
Old 01-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)

Originally Posted by mk3vr6SA
Hello all, im new to nitro rc's and have a few questions. I have a couple electric rc's but have never owned a nitro.
I traded a guy some old car parts for a Team Losi XXX-NT. He some how got it and never used it, which is why i got it. He said all it needs to run is a battery and charger and thats where im lost. I was just looking around tinkering with it and theres a battery in a little box on the back. Could that be the battery he thinks i need? or is there another battery?

It also came with a ofna universal starter stand. It has a wheel that spins when you push down, is that all that is needed to start the car ?

Sorry for the dumb questions, i am completely new to the nitro scene.
Thanks, Johnny
yes thats the battery he thought u needed and no question is dumb thats how u learn
Old 01-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Tech Rookie

ok cool, and about starting the car. What all is needed? Just the stand or is there something that goes on top of the motor. Ive seen on videos where they start it with something from the top.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)

Originally Posted by mk3vr6SA
ok cool, and about starting the car. What all is needed? Just the stand or is there something that goes on top of the motor. Ive seen on videos where they start it with something from the top.
thats a glow plug ignitor, u will need a glow plug ignitor, and a starter box if ur motor doesnt have a pull start
Old 01-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

You put it on the starter box. The wheel has to line up with the flywheel on the motor. Usually the box has alignment pins to make sure that happens. Make sure everything is on, and that the throttle opens and closes properly when you move the throttle on the radio. Then put the ignitor on the glow plug (down inside the head), push down, (which should start the wheel spinning) then keep pushing until it makes contact with the flywheel. It should start spinning the motor. Do that until it fires up. It may take a few tries to get it running but that's normal.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Tech Regular

The best way to learn is go to the local track and watch the others, ask questions and remember most rc'ers are all good people willing to help.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Help

Hello everyone I have an Alpha engine its a .21, red head, 5 port engine. Its is basically brand new my buddy said he broke it in. So when I went to go start it The engine wouldn't turn over and the flywheel locked up to a point where I cant even turn it over. I have had a few suggestions but I want to hear what you all have to say. Thank you
Old 01-21-2011, 05:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RcRacerBeast
Hello everyone I have an Alpha engine its a .21, red head, 5 port engine. Its is basically brand new my buddy said he broke it in. So when I went to go start it The engine wouldn't turn over and the flywheel locked up to a point where I cant even turn it over. I have had a few suggestions but I want to hear what you all have to say. Thank you
If its a brand new motor and it was barely broken in the motor is probably still real tight. Get a blow dryer or a heat gun and get some heat into your crank case before trying to turn it over.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Snowbum32
If its a brand new motor and it was barely broken in the motor is probably still real tight. Get a blow dryer or a heat gun and get some heat into your crank case before trying to turn it over.
Yeah thats what I have been doing. How will I know when its fully broken in.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RcRacerBeast
Yeah thats what I have been doing. How will I know when its fully broken in.
Usually takes 3/4 gallon or more to fully break in.

Does the engine still lock up even when heated? Check your flywheel for hitting the case, if it's clear check the rear crankcase bearing.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tromoly
Usually takes 3/4 gallon or more to fully break in.

Does the engine still lock up even when heated? Check your flywheel for hitting the case, if it's clear check the rear crankcase bearing.
No once it is running its fine its just when it starts up
Old 01-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Tech Regular

run thr crap out of the motor, the piston will eventually seat in the sleeve.