Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 buggy help

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Default 1/8 buggy help

I'm looking at getting a 1/8 buggy for racing. But don't know which one to get.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

do you need everything like radio, motor, pipe? If you are starting from ground up,the 8ight 2.0 is the way to go. If you have some of the stuff needed, your options open up. Alot if new buggies out there. Are you comfortable wrenching? Tons of good buggies for sale on ebay. I buy used stuff most the time.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Tech Adept

ahh, this is familiar territory. I just got mine the beginning of the month, and after hours and hours of research I landed on the jammin x1x. If i were to do it again I would probably go with the associated rtr. I believe its the rc8 rtr buggy and comes with starter box and a spectrum 2.4 radio. Sure the price seems high but you get a lot of goods for the price. I have as much or more in my jammin as the rc8 would have cost, but I got a great starter box, a good spectrum servo for steering, and a novarossi n21r engine. Im using my traxxas 2.4 tx/rx for it so radio is my next upgrade. If you plan on being serious about racing most if not all rtr kits come with crappy servos and make sure you get a 2.4 rx/tx. The main reason that i went with a jammin is because of its reliability. Ofna/jammins are known to be strong. They are heavy, but strong and being a newb to buggies, i will crash. A lot of info here but just know that an rtr is not the way to go for serious racing. Personally if I were to build a racer, Id go mugen or losi with a novarossi engine. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Tech Initiate

I do have radio and stuff. I used to race about five years ago. looking to get back into it.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nascarsimracing
I do have radio and stuff. I used to race about five years ago. looking to get back into it.
Check out "The Car" by JQ and the Durango DNX408, both just came out and are getting rave reviews. I like the durango just a hair more than "the car", but both would be very competitive today. The first racing season for both would start in the spring, but i'm assuming both will be on the podium quite a bit.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

what sims did/do you run? I used to race NR2003 and was a beta tester for iRacing NetKar and rFactor.......i was leagues CRSOL ASCORS MNRL and many others
Old 01-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Tech Initiate

I used nr2003. I play iracing now.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

you got a price range? That would help.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ya know I am all for helping a newcomer get going. But how mant times do one of these "whats the best" threads do we need. There have to be 100's of them already to read back on.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (94%+)

Originally Posted by brandundecided
Ya know I am all for helping a newcomer get going. But how mant times do one of these "whats the best" threads do we need. There have to be 100's of them already to read back on.
I was thinking the samething lol this is one of those things that just turn bad because people all think different cars are better then others. Just like people said the car is good or the 408 car but I would say a mbx 6 is the best but if you are wanting to know the most popular cars right now then we can all help you mp9 is a great car along with the other three cars I have said so far. Best of luck and hope this helps
Old 01-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

i went down to the local track and hung out and talked to people before i bought mine.....i started from scratch and went with the MBX6. Im glad i did as IMHO its the toughest buggy/truggy out there. When i first built it and started to practice i look back now knowing all i know about other brands i think that the MBX6 is the best starter brand to run. What i mean by that is it took stuff i did to it better than others that were at the track and they broke. I cant count how many times it has cartwheeled down the staight and kept on going.

ease of maintenance, parts avail, wear theres nothing like the MBX6. The others are great cars and i could easily run anyone of them as they are great products but for just getting back into to it like i did MBX6 is the way to go.....

Now tho im either going 808 or Team Durango

what was your screen name on NR2003??