Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Who else gets the Jitters when Racing.???? >

Who else gets the Jitters when Racing.????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who else gets the Jitters when Racing.????

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 04:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default re jitters when racing

im heading out to the crcrc nitro race right now.

ill have a severe case of the jitters on sat when im in a first round qualifier with pro guys like ryan mafield , cody king and ryan lutz. talk about the jitters. lol

listening to some music before you race definately helps.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:47 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

My hands are always shaking before a race or practice. My transmitter's antenna was also shaking a lot LOL Now with 2.4Ghz, no one notices it anymore

After few laps, I'm OK
Old 01-20-2011, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Thanks guys for your input.

Very interesting to read.

I really want to stop this. I do put alot into my racing.

Maybe i will have a stubbie from bosh.

The ear plug thing i might try too.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Jitter is a natural reaction of your body for the rising adrenalin!Drink a beer before you go up (but don't get drunk lol!).I have seen other guys they just smoke something what is legal in Amsterdam ..hahaha
Old 01-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gabor szilagyi
Jitter is a natural reaction of your body for the rising adrenalin!Drink a beer before you go up (but don't get drunk lol!).I have seen other guys they just smoke something what is legal in Amsterdam ..hahaha
Awesome
Old 01-20-2011, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Man, this is actually a cool thread. When I first started racing, like 15 years old, I ran oval. I ran against the best in the area, at that time, and I never got nervous. I didn't care how I did as it was just for fun. When I started getting good at it and people started helping me, it made it even more fun to be as fast as the guys that did it for years. Even then, no shakes, no nothing, just had that confidence that I can drive and do well.

When I switched to touring car, I had a natural knack for that. But then came the REAL big races. SnowBirds, ROAR Nationals, IIC... races where they truly meant something. That's when I started getting nervous. Sometimes I shook, sometimes my eyes watered... you could really feel the tension. When I won SnowBirds my first time, it was one of those weekends where everything went right and I just had confidence. No shaking, no nothing... I just knew I was going to do well. I didn't worry about sponsors or anything... just me and the car.

Now with going to 8th scale, it's sort of a "start all over" kind of thing. I have to build that confidence up again and know that I can be as fast as the fast guys. It's VERY hard compared to touring car where there are soo many more variables. When I first ran against a Pro, Ryan Maifield, and finished a qualifier only 6 seconds behind him and my run wasn't clean (not sure on his)... I know now I can drive and have speed. It's just a matter of being more consistent like the pros and know how and when to push in certain places on tracks.

It's really all about confidence. If you know you can do well, then nerves really don't play a huge role. If you're worried something is going to go wrong or doubt your ability in ANY way, then you'll be nervous and you will make mistakes.

And ya, a beer or 2 does help.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by schreff
Man, this is actually a cool thread. When I first started racing, like 15 years old, I ran oval. I ran against the best in the area, at that time, and I never got nervous. I didn't care how I did as it was just for fun. When I started getting good at it and people started helping me, it made it even more fun to be as fast as the guys that did it for years. Even then, no shakes, no nothing, just had that confidence that I can drive and do well.

When I switched to touring car, I had a natural knack for that. But then came the REAL big races. SnowBirds, ROAR Nationals, IIC... races where they truly meant something. That's when I started getting nervous. Sometimes I shook, sometimes my eyes watered... you could really feel the tension. When I won SnowBirds my first time, it was one of those weekends where everything went right and I just had confidence. No shaking, no nothing... I just knew I was going to do well. I didn't worry about sponsors or anything... just me and the car.

Now with going to 8th scale, it's sort of a "start all over" kind of thing. I have to build that confidence up again and know that I can be as fast as the fast guys. It's VERY hard compared to touring car where there are soo many more variables. When I first ran against a Pro, Ryan Maifield, and finished a qualifier only 6 seconds behind him and my run wasn't clean (not sure on his)... I know now I can drive and have speed. It's just a matter of being more consistent like the pros and know how and when to push in certain places on tracks.

It's really all about confidence. If you know you can do well, then nerves really don't play a huge role. If you're worried something is going to go wrong or doubt your ability in ANY way, then you'll be nervous and you will make mistakes.

And ya, a beer or 2 does help.
Sorry man u set youself up for this one!!! Not sure that was good old h2O in that bottle!!
Attached Thumbnails Who else gets the Jitters when Racing.????-brians-cell-pivtures-227.jpg  
Old 01-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (94%+)

I would have to agree with the last few post about drinking a beer. I am not saying get drunk but I know I have been to a race not to long ago and I did have a couple beers because I have heard and saw several guys do it and it seems to help so I tried it and loved the out come of the race
Old 01-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by THE PHILLY JYNX
Sorry man u set youself up for this one!!! Not sure that was good old h2O in that bottle!!
That was NOT a couple beers. In fact, I don't know what Joe was mixing that morning. Alcohol + 9:00am before qualifying = missed round 1 passed out. And that wasn't nerves. That was plain ole' having fun with my buds. I didn't plan getting drunk. LMAO. I still TQed that day though!!!! Too bad the engine wouldn't run in the main.

And it wasn't the water bottle... it was the red cup to the right of my head.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Tech Adept

Schreff passing out drunk at 9:30 will never get old!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dishsoap
Man the jitters getting nervous and shortness of breath is why I do this. To me its the best part and the adrenaline rush that you get is awesome.

Its crazy cause people outside of what we do will never understand unless they do it themselves.

I can stand in front of a group of 50 people and give presentation without skipping a beat. I dont get nervous and actually feel very relaxed because this it what I do for a living.

Something happens when your standing on the drivers stand hearing 10 to 13 nitro engines going nuts. Then comes the sweaty palms. I think to myself how the hell does this happen with an rc car. The truth is I do not want to know why I just want it to keep happening.
+1000

I love the rush I get from hearing all the nitros rev up right before the down and quiet. The crazy pungent smell of burnt nitro fuel as everyone clears out their engines in anticipation of the tone. The fact that if I'm TQ, I got 9 other guys gunnin for me. If I'm dead last on grid, I'm gonna pick cars off, one per lap until I battle the leader. That's what I like to think about just before the main starts.

As I'm waiting to get up on the stand, I like to look around, take it all in and appreciate that what I'm doing, not a lot of people can afford to do or have the skill to do. Then I like to run a few perfect laps in my head where I hit every apex perfectly, land every jump just right. The mental laps help out a lot. I run lots of mental laps!

The jitters/adrenaline rush is just awesome though and is why I love racing big events.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

i think everyone gets alittle nervous. im sure cody was even nervous at the worlds during the main. i know i was a little nervous trying to stay with you guys last weekend shreff haha
Old 01-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 42 (96%+)

I read all the posts and I can relate to this big time..... I had the M11 Radio and had to go to another radio becuz this was too heavy and was making my hand shake at the end or middle of a long race. It sucked but I hate getting nervous just kills my races.... Idk gunna have to start listening to more music haha
Old 01-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

This is a good thread! I hope that some of the Pro's chime in! For me I never got nervous until I got sponsored. Thats when I started getting the jitters. What helps me is getting a lot of practice in before the quals and during the quals. This lets me feel comfortable by the time the mains come around. Even if my car is dialed I still get a little nervous. If I didn't I'd get worried! I have seen lots of guys who listen to music chew gum talk slam energy drinks all kinds of things to get that "edge". I think what really helps me is breathing. You would be suprised how much breathing helps out. Slows the heart rate down and lets you think and react much better.

I'm with you guys tho if I didn't get a little jittery I wouldn't race anymore!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I always breathe too slow...or is it my heart beating too fast? so after a few minutes I find my arms and hands falling asleep.

if that counts as jitters....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.