R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #16
Tech Rookie

[QUOTE=crazdgunman;8513996]Well I will have a great "like new" D8T by next week. I am buying one from a fellow member here as a race roller. I am currently shopping for servos, engine/pipe and clutch. I would like your suggestions based on these factors:

#1 DURABILITY !
#2 ease of use/tunability
#3 race worthiness
#4 reasonable cost...... but NO CHEAP JUNK !

PS> I am leaning toward an OS .25 engine but would like to hear everyone's thoughts.

Toro Nero with JP-3 or Nova 9901

High tec servos all the way!! Best customer service which I have never had to use because there servos are the best!!!!!

Ascendacy clutch!! You will race all season on that clutch!!
Then start making the Amains!!

Purchase quality first never look back!!
GFDracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePeTe View Post
i usually run a CRF, but after running the 5port discovery, its about the same.

The B5 is a great engine aswell, i was just throwing up a different option.

I do feel you are underestimating the new discovery though.
No I'm not underestimating anything and I'm quite familiar with the engine. All that I'm saying is that if you are going to compare sport engines then you should compare them to sport engines. If you are comparing engines intended for racing purposes then you should compare racing engines. The intention of a product is dictated by it's feature set. This does not mean that a lower cost product can not perform well, it just means that if it does not have certain features it probably is not intended to perform well in that type of environment. Do your research and understand the true differences in the products that you are using/recommending and you will start to see what I'm talking about. That is all that I wold suggest, either way though Orion's engines are great products so I'm not saying anything negative in that perspective.
Werks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

... so a $200 B5 is a "race" engine and a $200 discovery is a "sport" engine?

"This is probably the best engine+pipe combo/price going on right now IMO (Orion 5port + 2058 Pipe $259)
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...cs&pn=ORN80678"

+1
AKA, Proline, Hotbodies Rubber
Elite Performance - HORRC.com
j_blaze14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So the general train of thought here (correct me if I am wrong) is that a good .21 engine is plenty good for my D8T to be competitive. A larger engine is not really needed. I do like the added fuel economy & lighter weight that the .21 motors offer !

I am trying to keep a budget of $350 or less for the engine & pipe combo. What would be a great combo at my price point from Werks, Orion & O.S. ?
Those are the three I have narrowed it down to at this point. I REALLY appreciate all the great advice from you guys here !!
crazdgunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

In my D8T I am currently running an EB Mod Extech .24. I have no problems at getting 8 Minutes out of it. I was using a Losi 4 shoe but blew up a bell. Now running the stock setup and have had no problems at all. I also have ran a Reedy .21VR/2035 and it still ripped and got awesome run time. A .21 can and will push this truck easily. This season I may switch to a werks later.

As for servos I am running the hitec 7954sh on throttle and steering with now issue's. Set your linkages up correct.Haven't had one problem.
DezSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

just because they both cost 200.00 does not mean anything...a B5 with pretty much surpass any other truggy engine out their from bottom to top.

also the Toro is not a "easy" to tune engine, it is well known to be a pita unless you know "what" you are doing, with the OP being new I think a Toro is out of the question ( I have seen several run and they are animals though when tuned correctly)

lets not turn this thread into a pissing match guys...just give him some opinions on engine/clutch/servos
Owner of Midwest Rc Tour
blktransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

cant go wrong with the b5 and 2013 its under 300 combined, only other combination i liked in my truggy as much as the b5 was the ninja jx with 2060 that combo will be 450-500 both setups rip and can get 10 mins
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #23
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm1126 View Post
cant go wrong with the b5 and 2013 its under 300 combined, only other combination i liked in my truggy as much as the b5 was the ninja jx with 2060 that combo will be 450-500 both setups rip and can get 10 mins
That seems to be a great combo. It has been mentioned several times as well as on other forums. The price is within my budget too !

Is the B5 a relatively "easy to tune/run" motor or are they all about the same.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #24
Tech Adept

I'm loving my alpha s852 orange head engine...just dropped it's nuts and it has more than enough power to push my heavy x2 around the track.
kommando98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_blaze14 View Post
... so a $200 B5 is a "race" engine and a $200 discovery is a "sport" engine?

"This is probably the best engine+pipe combo/price going on right now IMO (Orion 5port + 2058 Pipe $259)
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...cs&pn=ORN80678"

+1
ITS THE FEATURE SET!!!!
RePeTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:15 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazdgunman View Post
That seems to be a great combo. It has been mentioned several times as well as on other forums. The price is within my budget too !

Is the B5 a relatively "easy to tune/run" motor or are they all about the same.
Werks B5 and 2013 combo is well within your budget and is a top of the line race engine, you will be very pleased with that combo. What you have to remember is although a .23 or .28 or whatever numbers they are now will give you more power, it's useless if you can't put it to the ground plus the mileage leaves a little to be desired in my opinion. The werks B5 has more than enought grunt in truggy, all motors are pretty similar to tune with the same basic principles but some can be a little more finicky than others. If you pay attention to the motor it's easy to tell what it needs. No matter what motor you purchase ensure that you preheat the engine before starting, do a proper break in, and make small incremental changes while tuning until you get the hang of it. The local guy that fires his motor up cold and starts pinning it to warm it up and cranking the needles 3 hrs either way is not the guy to ask if you have any questions or need help
WideOpenThrottle RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

my Werks engines seem like they tune themselves (J/K) but they seem to hold consistant tune every weekend, and only need minimal adj. (weather change etc etc) the werks combos just works!
Owner of Midwest Rc Tour
blktransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #28
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WideOpenThrottle RC View Post
Werks B5 and 2013 combo is well within your budget and is a top of the line race engine, you will be very pleased with that combo. What you have to remember is although a .23 or .28 or whatever numbers they are now will give you more power, it's useless if you can't put it to the ground plus the mileage leaves a little to be desired in my opinion. The werks B5 has more than enought grunt in truggy, all motors are pretty similar to tune with the same basic principles but some can be a little more finicky than others. If you pay attention to the motor it's easy to tell what it needs. No matter what motor you purchase ensure that you preheat the engine before starting, do a proper break in, and make small incremental changes while tuning until you get the hang of it. The local guy that fires his motor up cold and starts pinning it to warm it up and cranking the needles 3 hrs either way is not the guy to ask if you have any questions or need help
Great advice ! I am going to my LHS this afternoon to order my Werks B5 &
2013 pipe. Can't waite to get that D8T barkin' ! I will throw in some HiTech servos for good measure as well. I think I am going to get an Airtronics MX-3X
2.4ghz radio system to run. It is priced right at $179 and seems to be a good system to start off with.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

If its in your budget the werks clutch is also a great buy, makes spring changes sooooooo much easier and tuning your clutch makes a huge difference if you race on tra ks that go from loose to high grip traction. PM me or email me if you have any specific.questions you need answered.
WideOpenThrottle RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #30
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WideOpenThrottle RC View Post
If its in your budget the werks clutch is also a great buy, makes spring changes sooooooo much easier and tuning your clutch makes a huge difference if you race on tra ks that go from loose to high grip traction. PM me or email me if you have any specific.questions you need answered.
which Werks clutch (model #) to buy ?