Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
what types of track makes you faster >

what types of track makes you faster

what types of track makes you faster

Old 01-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

hello i am not sponsored but know alot of sponsored drivers
some turn in resumes to companies to get sponsored or if you have good finishes at big races you have good chance of being approached but have found that there is alot of fast expert guys out there and the sponsored ones always seem to know someone to get them in the door.
when i win a few big races or go top three in big points series like jbrl in the expert class then i will seek sponsorship till then i am just another semi fast guy
and to get fast you need to get a timing system for your home track orion pLc is good for just counting your laps then you can try different lines and driving styles to see which is faster i also have full size track in back yard and when i go out and run on it tyring to get faster i use my counter to record laps 60 at a time it will hold then download to computer then run different lines and such into corners and out of them. till i find the fastest way to drive and it carries over to other tracks now i just need to learn to control my nerves and i will be there i run in pro class at club races let the super fast guys go by then try to run my own line behind them when i do not crash i find that i can keep up pretty well and a year ago they just left me so spactice makes you faster oh yeah dont go out to your track and drive unconcentrated this will not help you at all really try to run your best laps every time counting system required for that
Old 01-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

pics
Attached Thumbnails what types of track makes you faster-10-17-2010-track-005.jpg   what types of track makes you faster-10-17-2010-track-006.jpg  
Old 01-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Build a backyard track with narrow lanes.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jewn_beef
pics
bud !, your track looks sweet !!!!! what state do you live in ? what kind of dirt is it ? what kind of lap times are you runin ? and how much did you pay for your lap counter and were do i look for it, name brand?
Old 01-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just run LAPS! It doesnt matter where, track condition, etc. Just go out and run laps and put in the time. You wont have any option but to get faster.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:21 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SuperSmoove
Just run LAPS! It doesnt matter where, track condition, etc. Just go out and run laps and put in the time. You wont have any option but to get faster.
+1
Old 01-19-2011, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SuperSmoove

Or just further ingrain bad habits.

use practice or racing itself in a structured manner and you will get farther in less time. In fact cut the course short if possible to focus on certain aspects of the track. Hence I feel smaller tracks are more conducive to skill building than large ones, you just get to repeat the same fewer obstacles/corners over and over while still fresh in the mind. regular large track experience is still necessary; to take those new skills and apply them to the greater scale and reduced visuals. not to mentioned develop the large track mindset which seems to me maintaining more patience or impluse control and compartmentalize the longer course into smaller sections in the head.

When I first started snowboarding all we have here around chicago is small ski hills with runs 1 minute tops. at first I thought this lame, until I went out west on a real mountain and realized obstacles I could hit dozens of times in an hour back home I would only be able to hit once an hour if I was lucky enough to find it again. So it made me have a little more respect for the dinky little ski areas back home and used that small size (and very quick chairlifts) to focus on individual aspects of boarding over and over and was able to get quite good quickly. no pro mind you, but there was no pipe, park, or double diamond run out west I couldn't clean when I did get out there.

plus small tracks offer you the ability to better visually read what the car is actually doing on the track, so when you are out on a bigger track that is harder to actually see on, you can better gauge what the car is doing out there due to what you feel at the controls and instinct. And this is helpful for both negotiating the course and moreso car setup.

I wish I could apply faithfully what I learned above. I would be a faster driver but I am a poorly disciplined, impatient type. but the times I could focus on these aspects I always found my speed or skills increase measurably.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

And the end of last season I started to do some more focused training. I knew my problem was my approach to corners, so I started focusing on that, and kinda take it slow on the fast corners and straights. I wouldn't say I got faster, but I make less mistakes on those 180 turns that where killing me before. I would come in to hot, or com in just to early and get the inner wheel hung up on the corner marker.

It doesn't feel faster, but because of the fewer mistakes it is. Last race I made it through a 15 minute 1/4 final only having to be marshaled once. Big improvement for me.

I would say, deconstruct a lap round your track and see where you can improve. Maybe even get someone to take some video of your efforts. Watching video of my own driving has helped me identify some bad habits that needed attention.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

As many tracks as possible, under the clock most of the time.

When I'm learning a new car or experimenting with setups I try to do short 2-3 minute runs just to test a change and make the changes quickly so the track conditions don't change much between run to run. Thus trying to eliminate the question, "Was that change better, or did the track just get better?"

When I feel the setups are good I will typically do longer, almost full tank, runs and work on consistency under the clock.

You can also do exercises at home that I believe help with on track performance. Exercises that increase/better attention span, focus, hand eye coordination, and reflexes are all good to do.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You can also do exercises at home that I believe help with on track performance. Exercises that increase/better attention span, focus, hand eye coordination, and reflexes are all good to do.[/QUOTE]

LOL i was going to say, get off our fat lazy asses and get some exercise! i started that last summer and noticed it helping in my driving! This is got to be the most unhealthy sport! LMAO
Old 01-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Brandon Black
You can also do exercises at home that I believe help with on track performance. Exercises that increase/better attention span, focus, hand eye coordination, and reflexes are all good to do.
LOL i was going to say, get off our fat lazy asses and get some exercise! i started that last summer and noticed it helping in my driving! This is got to be the most unhealthy sport! LMAO[/QUOTE]

ha it cant be any lazyer than golf

but trust me i love to have a small backyard track to improve my skills but i cant.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Tech Adept

here"s cuple pics of my track but haven problems pulln some other pics
http://img254.imageshack.us/i/124201...layout029.jpg/
http://img651.imageshack.us/i/124201...layout030.jpg/
http://img839.imageshack.us/i/124201...layout031.jpg/
http://img687.imageshack.us/i/124201...layout032.jpg/
http://img522.imageshack.us/i/124201...layout035.jpg/
http://img822.imageshack.us/i/124201...layout036.jpg/
http://img810.imageshack.us/i/124201...layout037.jpg/ few more add ons the track
Attached Thumbnails what types of track makes you faster-my-back-yard-track-106.jpg   what types of track makes you faster-my-track-015.jpg   what types of track makes you faster-my-track-017.jpg   what types of track makes you faster-my-track-016.jpg  

Last edited by 151 RACN; 01-26-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:56 PM
Tech Adept

track flows great to learn some good throttle control
Old 01-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 151 RACN
bud !, your track looks sweet !!!!! what state do you live in ? what kind of dirt is it ? what kind of lap times are you runin ? and how much did you pay for your lap counter and were do i look for it, name brand?
the lap counter is orion personal pal counter only counts one car for 60 lap incrimints then can download into computer
i live in san diego county in the sticks part of SD
my lap times are faster by about 2.5 secs. a lap after using the timing system to compare driving styles
i found that the slower feeling lines were faster and also the most consistent
i have yet to learn to put this practice to the test because i loose my temper quickly at big races so all my practice goes out the window by i am getting faster just need to learn how to transfer practice to race day
Old 01-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I started racing competitively about 8 months ago. The way I improved tremendously was to put down my stick and watch all the fast guys. I would examine everything they did from: where they start to brake, where they get on the throttle, where they land off jumps, how there riggs respond to track condition, etc. I also would look at their lap times and see who was fastest, then see who was most consistent.

This helped a lot! Now I know how my truck should look and react on the track; I know what lines to follow and where I should get on the throttle. After I kept practicing that, I found my own lines and smoothness. Now on practice days I see some of the fast guys watching me A couple of them will even tell me I am getting pretty good and we all know that is code for, Man You Got FASTER!

Find a fast guy at your local track and offer to pit for him, and if you're really smart you will ask a fast guy that has the same rigg as you do.

Now my problem is nerves. I will apply everything I learned at race day and it works. However, when I get in the lead I get sick and start driving all clumsy. The only way to fix this is more practice.