Wiki Posts
Search

switching to lipo

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default switching to lipo

I'm sure this will get moved but this is probley the best place to get an answer.

I'm planning on making the switch to lipo soon. I've heard more than once and seen that a Hitec 7955 will run fine off a lipo rx pack, but I'm also running a 7985MG on throttle. Will the 7985 also hold up to the voltage, without burning up and needing a regulator?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bboard
I'm sure this will get moved but this is probley the best place to get an answer.

I'm planning on making the switch to lipo soon. I've heard more than once and seen that a Hitec 7955 will run fine off a lipo rx pack, but I'm also running a 7985MG on throttle. Will the 7985 also hold up to the voltage, without burning up and needing a regulator?
Hey mate, you should consider a Life rx battery - I'm not sure how your servos will go using a lipo rx, but I ran a lipo pack in my RC8b and had to use a voltage regulater, I can tell you - man it was a tight fit to install the reg.
The best thing I ever did was go to life as the reg was no longer required, you wont be disapointed using one.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Tech Adept

im not real sure why everybody has to run lipo unregulated. i have the 7955's and i know that the speed rating is some what slow and running them unregulated really picks the speed up but i think that they are more then fast enough with a 5 cell ni-cad pack. i have'nt seen a car yet that will respond to a extremely fast servo. i run a lipo regulated for 2 reasons #1 i can run all day long without a recharge on a 2000 ma pack #2 the weight , and if it wasnt for #1 i would proble stick with a ni-cad or ni-mh pack.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MCR82
Hey mate, you should consider a Life rx battery - I'm not sure how your servos will go using a lipo rx, but I ran a lipo pack in my RC8b and had to use a voltage regulater, I can tell you - man it was a tight fit to install the reg.
The best thing I ever did was go to life as the reg was no longer required, you wont be disapointed using one.
I'm running a LiFe pack right now, but the D8 is picky on which batts will fit because the box is so small. I'm running a 1100mah LiFe pack, it's the biggest that will fit, and I'm wanting a little more runtime. I know of people running 1500-2000mah lipos that dont have to worry about runtime. I'm just gonna get a regulator, just didnt wanna add more clutter to the rx box.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

if you have he chance to run life batteries do it alot safer and the same price as lipo
Old 01-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

You will be fine running both on lipo without a regulator. If it makes you feel any better, i have been running the 5955 and 985 on lipo direct in my nitros (truggy,buggy,revo) for over 2 years without any issues.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:28 AM
Tech Regular

I know it's a LiPo thread but many of you recommend LiFe here so i would like to ask a simple question.

Could you please tell me if i can run my servos (Savox SC-1256TG and Airtronics 94773M) on a LiFe 6.6V pack? I know that almost every servo should be fine with it but i heard that some heat too much what may damage the electronics.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Hitec says no on lipo and the 7985. But lipo is the way to go. You get more out of the servos and the runtime is awesome. Go with another 7955 or 7950 and you will be set
Old 01-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Could you please tell me if i can run my servos (Savox SC-1256TG and Airtronics 94773M) on a LiFe 6.6V pack? I know that almost every servo should be fine with it but i heard that some heat too much what may damage the electronics.[/QUOTE]

I run Li-Fe 6,6V on my Savox 1256TG, no problem.
To next year I have (to be on the safe side) applied some thermal compound to the engine, better safe then sorry!..
Old 01-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

Ok, so i only have to know if the Airtronics will stand the extra voltage.

Have you checked the temperature on the servo while using LiFe?
What is the safe operating temperature for a servo?
Old 01-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...20&p_catid=140

look through the HB D8 Hara thread it fits perfect
Old 01-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by axle
im not real sure why everybody has to run lipo unregulated. i have the 7955's and i know that the speed rating is some what slow and running them unregulated really picks the speed up but i think that they are more then fast enough with a 5 cell ni-cad pack. i have'nt seen a car yet that will respond to a extremely fast servo. i run a lipo regulated for 2 reasons #1 i can run all day long without a recharge on a 2000 ma pack #2 the weight , and if it wasnt for #1 i would proble stick with a ni-cad or ni-mh pack.
I have.................Especially in buggy.

I run Losi Lipo and can go ALL DAY unregulated. I dont because it makes no sense to risk a run away.

I have seen more cars run away with a regulator than servos burnt up with out regulator.

I rather have 7.2 v going into a 45 min main than 6v...

Last edited by token; 01-14-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token

I run Losi Lipo and can go ALL DAY unregulated. I dont because it makes not sense to risk a run away.

I have seen more cars run away with a regulator than servos burnt up with out regulator.

+1..not to mention the fact that 7.2 volts will do wonders for the performance of your servos..you wont get 7.2 volts from life, or nimh..thats why so many of us prefer lipo
Old 01-14-2011, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

You'll be good running both on Lipo.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by token

I run Losi Lipo and can go ALL DAY unregulated. I dont because it makes no sense to risk a run away.

my point to this whole deal is that it is not needed to go fast, some pros still dont run lipo or life packs because it may upset the car if you take the weight off that spot. if you run on carpet with a 1/12th scale i can see a faster servo making it trun faster but the 4 years that i run on carpet i found it takes less steering input because you have more traction then you know what to do with and when you get used to running on carpet then go back to dirt you see how much your buggy is really pushing when you trun that wheel. and also a lipo pack peaks out at 8.4 volts when it gets to 7.2 volts it's just about dead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.