R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #31
Tech Regular
 
bre1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pasco, WA.
Posts: 337
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Are you refering to the rc8t rtr or the kit ce edition
__________________
Team Associated, Venom, Tekin, Ofna, DE RACING, J CONCEPTS, Savox, AKA, PROLINE,
bre1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #32
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bre1979 View Post
Are you refering to the rc8t rtr or the kit ce edition


i think he refering to the ce kit i dont think the rc8t rtr was that good.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #33
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,644
Default

All of these products have their weakness. Some just have a few more than others.
__________________
TLR - Spektrum - Horizon - TLR 8ight 4.0 - TLR 8ight-T 4.0 - TLR 22 4.0 - Orion
token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #34
Tech Regular
 
aray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 368
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee1 View Post
Thanks guys for the valuable input. Where I live the local HS isnt an issue, I source from ebay solely. I would like to know anyones opinion that knows re: team edition vs championship edition as far as handling and driving gos if there is much difference.
thanks
I used to run the Losi, now I run the RC8T CE, and I had a RC8T FT that I used for practice so I can share my firsthand experience....of course take fwiw.

I did have to invest heavily to get the Losi "right", sorry....I did. Larger modded hubs on the rear to fit larger bearings, alum insert on rear gearbox diff, alum servo saver horn, extended 2mm front hubs to avoid cracking rims, and KHZ engine extended mount to not have to use two sets of clutch bearings in one day. I think if you peruse the Losi thread 90% of people over there are running those same upgrades. Once you do that, the truck is great.

On the Associated I do run alum rear hubs ($25 ebay ones) for safety, but I've never had any issues with the plastic ones on my practice truck...and it gets abused 3x my race truck, and almost never gets rebuilt.

They're both great trucks, I agree with the Ford/Chevy comments already made.... it's going to be a lot of personal preference.

In my opinion the "stock" setup on the Losi is going to be easy to drive, and great for larger tracks. The RC8T CE setup turns on a dime, great for smaller tracks, but not so easy to drive.

The Losi probably has more innovation in it, while the Associated is a bit more simple. My challenge with the Losi was that some of the "high tech" designs were not supported by the appropriate manufacturing prowess.

For example compare the rear diff cases.... The Losi has gone to a lot of trouble to make the pinon come out of one side of the case for balance, and uses a design with an insert to accomodate this. The diff case also drops into the chassis so the rear diff has a lower center of gravity, and 8x14 bearings are used for less weight. All well and good, but the plastic used by the rear diff always seems to expand. After 3 races I was adding a shim on both sides, or having to replace the case.

The Associated doesn't really have that creative of a design. Yea, they're spiral diffs, but that's no biggie. The diff sits on top of the chassis, and the pinon comes out the center, and it uses bigger bearings. Just a simple clamshell. Associated plastics are really no better than Losi, but since they have a fairly simple design, it works fine.

Regarding the FT vs. CE, they're very similar, just some changes which are debatable in value. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a FT if you saw a deal. In retrospect the only CE upgrade I would add would be the front battery box, which can be done with $10 in parts....well and the punisher body mount.
aray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #35
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aray View Post
I used to run the Losi, now I run the RC8T CE, and I had a RC8T FT that I used for practice so I can share my firsthand experience....of course take fwiw.

I did have to invest heavily to get the Losi "right", sorry....I did. Larger modded hubs on the rear to fit larger bearings, alum insert on rear gearbox diff, alum servo saver horn, extended 2mm front hubs to avoid cracking rims, and KHZ engine extended mount to not have to use two sets of clutch bearings in one day. I think if you peruse the Losi thread 90% of people over there are running those same upgrades. Once you do that, the truck is great.

On the Associated I do run alum rear hubs ($25 ebay ones) for safety, but I've never had any issues with the plastic ones on my practice truck...and it gets abused 3x my race truck, and almost never gets rebuilt.

They're both great trucks, I agree with the Ford/Chevy comments already made.... it's going to be a lot of personal preference.

In my opinion the "stock" setup on the Losi is going to be easy to drive, and great for larger tracks. The RC8T CE setup turns on a dime, great for smaller tracks, but not so easy to drive.

The Losi probably has more innovation in it, while the Associated is a bit more simple. My challenge with the Losi was that some of the "high tech" designs were not supported by the appropriate manufacturing prowess.

For example compare the rear diff cases.... The Losi has gone to a lot of trouble to make the pinon come out of one side of the case for balance, and uses a design with an insert to accomodate this. The diff case also drops into the chassis so the rear diff has a lower center of gravity, and 8x14 bearings are used for less weight. All well and good, but the plastic used by the rear diff always seems to expand. After 3 races I was adding a shim on both sides, or having to replace the case.

The Associated doesn't really have that creative of a design. Yea, they're spiral diffs, but that's no biggie. The diff sits on top of the chassis, and the pinon comes out the center, and it uses bigger bearings. Just a simple clamshell. Associated plastics are really no better than Losi, but since they have a fairly simple design, it works fine.

Regarding the FT vs. CE, they're very similar, just some changes which are debatable in value. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a FT if you saw a deal. In retrospect the only CE upgrade I would add would be the front battery box, which can be done with $10 in parts....well and the punisher body mount.






how come the stock setup on the rc8t ce is hard to drive twichy steering or something else ?

heck, its got to be easier to drive than my eight-t 1.0 even with the flex chassis on it it still was bit hard to drive on a rough track.

so the rc8t ce isnt to good on a large 1/8 offroad track ?
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:21 AM   #36
Tech Elite
 
AlanHall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Watson ,Louisiana
Posts: 2,963
Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AlanHall Send a message via Yahoo to AlanHall
Default

I wouldn't call it twitchy. But it turns.. very very well.
__________________
Alan Hall
AlanHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #37
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlz View Post
I wouldn't call it twitchy. But it turns.. very very well.


thats, good i hate a twichy 1/8 good for a small track not a big one i like turn in for sure and rotation not to much of that though or to fast of rotation where it catches me off guard but i know that can be fixed with changes anyways.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #38
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 66
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

what does wrenching to the front end mean?
jaydee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #39
Tech Elite
 
kman16jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tampa,Fl.
Posts: 4,005
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

hey josh man it is kevin,hey i would go with the rc8-t ce because it does not wear out as fast as losi.i might get flamed for this but this is the truth.I constantly replaced the bearings because they are under-sized from the rest and replaced them almost every day of running.The cvd's werar pretty quickly,you Need the aluminum gear box inserts to keep the rear diff in line.Similiar people i asked who now have the rc8t-ce told me that they also had these issues constantly,oh and the suspension wears out faster than most.Now on the rc8t-ce it has 8x16 bearings all round instead of the losi 8x14 bearings.it is simple to work on and most people who run at lake park including dave runs it.And i know your and associated guy after that rc8be.And may i mind it is cheaper on parts and upgrades are about the same price.
__________________
Kevin Welfley
AE rc8b3-AE rc8b3e-AE b64d-AE b6d-AE b6
Sponsors:|DDHrc|Team Trinity|Jconcepts|Rc Adiction Products|NitroPro Fuel|M2c racing|Ultimate racing engines|Highest servos|Bellgate Distibutors|
kman16jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #40
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,867
Default

kman16jr : you, wont get flamed by me on the losi eights i dont have a 2.0 t but a 1.0 t and it has the same kind of wear on the supension parts and if you ask me it needs alum hubs.

or the enlarged 2.0 j dud hubs and the drivetrain wears a lot also and i dint race every weekend in 2010.


thats, why im not getting the 2.0 t because i know it needs a few upgrades i think if losi would include upgrades that it needs i can see the price for it .

dont get me wrong the eight truggys arent bad at all just high mateience on the drivetrain and the wear rate .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #41
Tech Elite
 
kman16jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tampa,Fl.
Posts: 4,005
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
kman16jr : you, wont get flamed by me on the losi eights i dont have a 2.0 t but a 1.0 t and it has the same kind of wear on the supension parts and if you ask me it needs alum hubs.

or the enlarged 2.0 j dud hubs and the drivetrain wears a lot also and i dint race every weekend in 2010.


thats, why im not getting the 2.0 t because i know it needs a few upgrades i think if losi would include upgrades that it needs i can see the price for it .

dont get me wrong the eight truggys arent bad at all just high mateience on the drivetrain and the wear rate .
yeah about the wear,you might notice a change in my signature.lol.the drivetrain is the best on the market.my kyosho does not wear not much if at all.the drivetrain is 3 years old and still looks new.oh and the kyosho shocks never need rebuilt for some reason.did you do the shock mod on the front?
__________________
Kevin Welfley
AE rc8b3-AE rc8b3e-AE b64d-AE b6d-AE b6
Sponsors:|DDHrc|Team Trinity|Jconcepts|Rc Adiction Products|NitroPro Fuel|M2c racing|Ultimate racing engines|Highest servos|Bellgate Distibutors|
kman16jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #42
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman16jr View Post
yeah about the wear,you might notice a change in my signature.lol.the drivetrain is the best on the market.my kyosho does not wear not much if at all.the drivetrain is 3 years old and still looks new.oh and the kyosho shocks never need rebuilt for some reason.did you do the shock mod on the front?


on, the 1.0 i dint do try out the mod i would take a look at the kyosho but man there is nobody at my track that runs the truggy they have so i know i said it before and others get tried of it but im looking to get the rc8t ce ed pretty soon.

and, theres a couple of people who run them so thats good and i have a guy i race with that runs one not a nitro one but a electric rc8t.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #43
Tech Elite
 
kman16jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tampa,Fl.
Posts: 4,005
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

the rc8t ce is an awesome truggy bro.all the shock travel in the world.lol.and overall just amazing quiality.
__________________
Kevin Welfley
AE rc8b3-AE rc8b3e-AE b64d-AE b6d-AE b6
Sponsors:|DDHrc|Team Trinity|Jconcepts|Rc Adiction Products|NitroPro Fuel|M2c racing|Ultimate racing engines|Highest servos|Bellgate Distibutors|
kman16jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #44
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman16jr View Post
the rc8t ce is an awesome truggy bro.all the shock travel in the world.lol.and overall just amazing quiality.

yea, ive heard it defietly looks like it has a lot of travel which isnt bad for me on my track it has so many adjustments it can confuse you lol which isnt a bad thing to have.

a, couple of guys that i raced with at a indoor track this year said they love it one guy had a 2.0 t and he said he had a v2 shock tower everything and he said he liked the rc8t cd ed a lot more.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #45
Tech Apprentice
 
alphaplus-guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlz View Post
From whhat I've HEARD... losi needs a bit of after market stuff to be "right" and they eat bearings. The rc8t trucks are al basically the same truck and very durable winners out the box. I've heard the same about the d8t. Are you a internet shopper for your misc odds and ends? I personally shop at my local shop. They stock all my AE parts. That's something to consider
you heard wrong
__________________
Ask me anything about alpha plus series engines. z852(green), F850(red), S852(orange)
alphaplus-guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:46 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net