Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Buggy recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Nitro Buggy recommendations

Any recommendations on purchasing a new/used 1/8 scale nitro 4wd buggy. I currently race a Blitz ESE SCT and Team Associated B44 buggy, both electric. I want to try nitro buggy this spring. I know there are many out there to choose from. What would you guys recommend for a nitro newbie to race. I don't want to spend a fortune starting out, but want a good deal for the $. A good driving car with durability is preferred. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

just wait this shortly available:
xray 808 2011 model
http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/new...2f71bb6d036ddf
if no then:
mugen mbx6 m-spec
cheers
Old 01-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If price may be a factor. I would get a Hot Bodies D8 If you can find one. If you can't the next one I would recommend is the Hot Bodies D8 Hara Edition. You can find really good used D8 right now because of the newer Hara Edition. Then for motor I would recommend a Werks B5, and if you can spare the extra $30 I would get the Werks B6. I don't recommend cheeping out on electronics.

If you are looking for a RTR platform. The best RTR kit is the Losi 8ight RTR. Comes with a starter, and a DX3S radio. If you already have a good radio, sell it one of the two.

If you notice I don't have any of the products listed. Which proves i am not being biased towards a product because I own it.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Tech Adept

If you are just getting into nitro, I would say go with the Losi RTR for the reasons stated above. Everything you need for a good price instead of buying the buggy and then everything else you need to run.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just got a d8 with a RB WS7 and jp1 pipe. Had several upgrades and spare parts. Only cost me 160 on ebay. With the new hara edition, several people are selling D8 real cheep.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for your input. I have been looking at the D8, Mugen, and Team Associated. Anyone have any input of the RC8b? How do the RTR kits hold up for racing? Keep in mind this is my first nitro.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Resqnu
Thanks for your input. I have been looking at the D8, Mugen, and Team Associated. Anyone have any input of the RC8b? How do the RTR kits hold up for racing? Keep in mind this is my first nitro.
Losi RTR is good but you'll need some servos. Stock ones aren't race worthy at all. Try some hitec 7955 if running nimh or 7950TH if running lipo. Starter box that come with it is fine just use a heat gun when breaking in the motor(this is a MUST). Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bacchus
Losi RTR is good but you'll need some servos. Stock ones aren't race worthy at all. Try some hitec 7955 if running nimh or 7950TH if running lipo. Starter box that come with it is fine just use a heat gun when breaking in the motor(this is a MUST). Hope this helps.
The Hitec 7955 runs Lipo just fine.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

D8--price is great even better is hara edition its full lit bad.

Mugen- more money but i still think hb hara for price is better. Mugen is very nice tho.

Losi- very good to when you have correct gear and set up.

AE- heard alot of good and rc8b is nice.

Xray- personally i dont like but they are nice and very strong cars.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Get an Ofna.

They're RTR's

They're Durable

They're Cheap

They're perfect for beginners.

Just change out the servos.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Any recommendations on purchasing a new/used 1/8 scale nitro 4wd buggy. I currently race a Blitz ESE SCT and Team Associated B44 buggy, both electric. I want to try nitro buggy this spring. I know there are many out there to choose from. What would you guys recommend for a nitro newbie to race. I don't want to spend a fortune starting out, but want a good deal for the $. A good driving car with durability is preferred. Thanks for your input.
If you allready run a b44 and a Blitz,probably you are good on the track so i do not recommand rtr .The reason is : i bet u gonna be faster and faster on the track ,so u gonna need the durability what some of the rtr bugges doesn't have.I do recommand RTR s but only for absolut begginers.I see lot's a good deal on used but good buggy rollers on trading post and around 200$ u can buy a good engine like an alpha or werks or an argus.Look at this buggy you can't beat for the price: http://carolinasrcracers.com/forum_p...750&title=rc8b
Old 01-13-2011, 07:02 AM
Tech Master

Like I said above D8 is an awesome choice. If you can afford it. I have been liking the Mugen MBX6 platform. To give you a straight answer. As long as you get one of the more mainstream buggies it all comes down to the driver.

Mugen MBX6
Hot Bodies D8
JQ THE Car
Team Durango DNX408
Serpent S811
Kyosho MP9 TKI2 (They have a worlds buggy releashing soon)
Losi 8ight 2.0
Team Associated RC8B
Agama A8
Xray 808B 2011 Spec
Tamiya TRF801X
Jammin X2

If you pick any of these the car will be able to get you to first, the question is only if you can. My advice would be go to the track and see what the fast guys are running. The reason I say this is because they will be able to give you setup tips. Maybe someone would like you drive there buggy for a second to see if there is one that fits your driven style more. And Local parts support should be good if racers are using that vehicle. If this brings you done to a couple vehicles, pick the one that looks the best in your opinion.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks to all for your input. I am currently looking at a few used: Mugen, Losi, D8, and RC8b. I'm just wanting to spend my $ wisely. I would like to be in a used buggy for $400-$500 that is ready for the track. I guess that is why the RTR kits look good, but don't want to have to start replacing low end parts that will not stand up to weekly racing. Sounds like most are recommending a used buggy, then purchase the needed parts (motor, servos and pipe).

Currently, Out of 10 vehicle mains, I place 7th-10th in a main, to 1st-3rd in B main with my SCT. With my B44 I place middle to end, as the B44 guys are very good (few pro drivers). I race in Greensboro and I have only been racing for 2-3 months. But I love it.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I saw a used Mugen with a Ninja engine and 7955 servos on here for 500 shipped. Mugen was already hopped up and looked really clean. Offer him 400 and see where it goes
Old 01-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thanks to all for your input. I am currently looking at a few used: Mugen, Losi, D8, and RC8b. I'm just wanting to spend my $ wisely. I would like to be in a used buggy for $400-$500 that is ready for the track. I guess that is why the RTR kits look good, but don't want to have to start replacing low end parts that will not stand up to weekly racing. Sounds like most are recommending a used buggy, then purchase the needed parts (motor, servos and pipe).

Currently, Out of 10 vehicle mains, I place 7th-10th in a main, to 1st-3rd in B main with my SCT. With my B44 I place middle to end, as the B44 guys are very good (few pro drivers). I race in Greensboro and I have only been racing for 2-3 months. But I love it.
Hey!I see you r in NC and you race indoor so probably you know Rob Meyer Jr.He is the guy who selling that rc8b (posted link) .He is a pro and his stuff is top noch !I am running MP9 and Rob not my close friend so i am not biased about my recommandtation ...Plus AE has great support in NC by Brandon Melton and Chris Pace.Let me know if u need help ...Gabe!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.