R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #121
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 17
Default

Hey Ryan and all rc tech readers. I do not come on these much, but this was a pretty interesting topic. I did enjoy reading most of these posts. To give my 2 cents.

Rc is a hobby to most, just like car racing, motocross, golf...it is also a sport to some, just like the others I mentioned. For me it is a sport and something I truley love. There are a small few that make a living.....let me make that clear to the people...small few!!! I am lucky enough to be one of those few. I really enjoy it and would not trade it for anything. I am very blessed for my situation.

It is very tough though like Ryan said. By the way congrats on the 10 year deal....I thought I was crazy to do 5 years. There is so much more work put in than most think. We all race multiple classes and have to drive alot. We have to always have nice looking and great working cars. I can't go to the track and have a dirty car with worn out tires and just have fun a drive around. I have to be Jared Tebo everytime I go to the track. Most people don't see that. If I get beat on a club night....it is like a wild fire on the websites and it isn't really that good. Then all the traveling and racing at the big races. The real work is at home.

For an example: The 1/8 worlds. I only ran 1/8 buggy for the 2 months before the worlds. I built 3 new cars for practice and for racing the worlds. And we can't just throw a car together. Then I spent 100s of hours at the track. The month before (october I drove 7 gallons of fuel) I was at the track over 40 hours a week for 3 weeks straight. Went to Thailand to practice. Not to party and just have fun. At the track all day long working on my car and driving all day!!!!

Like JQ stated. It is all about what you want. To me the time was worth it. I had a great week at the worlds and almost got my first 1/8 title. I know how much time and effort I need to do. The companies also know how much time and effort we spend. The drivers that do the time, they make the money. It isn't like big time money, but we are not in a big time industry. If I win every race, Kyosho isn't going to sell a million cars, and I will not make a million dollars.

Look forward to 2011 and seeing everyone at the races. Thanks to all that support rc and give us a chance to do what we love to do.
Jared Tebo
jaredtebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:11 AM   #122
Tech Elite
 
slaytanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,171
Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)
Default

What a great song! Thanks for getting it stuck in my head!
__________________
Team Epic
Team Terribles~Answer RC~Fastlane Graphics~Torco Race Fuels
XB808 Mamba Max Pro/Tekin 1900kv RC-monster mount and tray 4s
XT8 Hobbywing 150a esc/2000kv combo KILLER! Full rc-monster e conversion. 4s
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:46 AM   #123
Tech Rookie
 
ct#67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredtebo View Post
Hey Ryan and all rc tech readers. I do not come on these much, but this was a pretty interesting topic. I did enjoy reading most of these posts. To give my 2 cents.

Rc is a hobby to most, just like car racing, motocross, golf...it is also a sport to some, just like the others I mentioned. For me it is a sport and something I truley love. There are a small few that make a living.....let me make that clear to the people...small few!!! I am lucky enough to be one of those few. I really enjoy it and would not trade it for anything. I am very blessed for my situation.

It is very tough though like Ryan said. By the way congrats on the 10 year deal....I thought I was crazy to do 5 years. There is so much more work put in than most think. We all race multiple classes and have to drive alot. We have to always have nice looking and great working cars. I can't go to the track and have a dirty car with worn out tires and just have fun a drive around. I have to be Jared Tebo everytime I go to the track. Most people don't see that. If I get beat on a club night....it is like a wild fire on the websites and it isn't really that good. Then all the traveling and racing at the big races. The real work is at home.

For an example: The 1/8 worlds. I only ran 1/8 buggy for the 2 months before the worlds. I built 3 new cars for practice and for racing the worlds. And we can't just throw a car together. Then I spent 100s of hours at the track. The month before (october I drove 7 gallons of fuel) I was at the track over 40 hours a week for 3 weeks straight. Went to Thailand to practice. Not to party and just have fun. At the track all day long working on my car and driving all day!!!!

Like JQ stated. It is all about what you want. To me the time was worth it. I had a great week at the worlds and almost got my first 1/8 title. I know how much time and effort I need to do. The companies also know how much time and effort we spend. The drivers that do the time, they make the money. It isn't like big time money, but we are not in a big time industry. If I win every race, Kyosho isn't going to sell a million cars, and I will not make a million dollars.

Look forward to 2011 and seeing everyone at the races. Thanks to all that support rc and give us a chance to do what we love to do.
Jared Tebo
I obviously don't know you personally JT, but I have got to say what a well thought out post mate.

I have been following this thread since the initial post and with a bit of luck, your post will draw a line through it for all those that can't seem to understand that the current crop of high profile drivers out there, yourself and Ryan included, are not millionaires and you don't just turn up on race day, zoom a few laps, wave at the fans, smile for the camera, win a trophy or two and bugger off back home to your multi-dollar homes and spend your days between the next big race, just playing about on a full scale RC complex in the backyard and counting the vast piles of money you have earned.

As you and JQ have explained quite plainly, it's all about hard work. What you put in doesn't naturally equate (financially) to what you get out. And this can be applied to almost any sport that has an engine involved, but especially RC competition.

Another point you raised and what a lot of people should remember or try to think about, the next time they see yourself or any other high profile driver out practicing or racing a club meeting etc and before rushing home to condemn whoever it is, on a forum or suchlike, is that anyone can be beaten by anyone.

Having formerly raced motocross at a pretty competitive level, this fact of racing life is a hard one to accept.
And for those that have only stood by the side of a track and not been on the bit that matters, its easy to say this or that about someone who spends their daily life doing nothing but what is a hobby to the critic.

Thats the nature of any form of racing, but especially a key fundemental of what RC racing is all about. The fact that we (joe public) all have access to the same parts etc that you guys use, with the odd exception to R&D parts of course. So with a good set-up, half an idea of what to do and some racing luck, it is possible.
So to criticise, is a failure to understand or appreciate the fact that that particular RC "star", might just want to have a fun days racing and treat it as such. Or they are just plain envious and it's easy to criticise from that side of the fence.
It is a pity that's the way it is, but that's the nature of the beast when you reach a certain level of competition.
Which makes me wonder how well many of the wannabe "RC pro drivers" out there, would handle that kind of pressure everytime they went to the track?

They wouldn't give a sh*t how much money they were "supposedly" making, they'd just want to be left alone and wish for it to be just a hobby again.
ct#67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #124
Tech Adept
 
jbranham50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 247
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ View Post
What pointers, if you are serious about achieving something you dont need pointers. You want to win, you practice and test and race and then you may or may not win. If you practice enough, and practice well enough, you WILL win, guaranteed, specially in a sport like RC where the amount of people who really put in the time is fairly small, and more importantly it's not a case of who has the most money or best equipment, it's a case of who wants it most. The younger you are the easier it is, when you get older, start thinking about life after racing, or already have a family, it is harder to find the time to put in the massive amount of time required to gain that last few % so you can win the big races. Some people disagree, and think that they put in a lot of work, but didn't reach a high enough level. Well the truth is, that is because they didn't practice enough! It's pretty simple really. The thing is, most people know what they want, but few actually bother going about getting it.
JQ, You're 100% correct! By also reading what Jared wrote, kind of what I already knew, about 40 hour practice weeks is just something I'm not as fortunate to be able to do. I do work very hard though to race at the level I do race at, one because I want to compete with the best and win but also because I LOVE to do it. I feel very fortunate to race at the level that I do race at and be provided with the equipment to do so.

I understand the commitment that guys like Ryan, Jared, Cody, JQ and many others make each year to travel, be away from family and friends for periods of a time, the 100 billion hours spent in the garage wrenching and testing. There is a lot of sacrafice involed to make this a profession but like many of you have stated "I would do it too if I had the chance".

I give a lot of respect to the guys who do make a living racing RC cars and hope one day that this is the norm and that RC can support its sport, drivers and fans like SX does.
jbranham50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:19 AM   #125
tp
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 238
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Jq is the man! You are absolutely right, hard work is what it takes to get good results..... I have put in as many hours as possible in between working full time and our crappy weather. Lol i plan on working even harder this year now that i know i will be racing you alot more!

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the races

Tp
tp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #126
Tech Master
 
DS Motorsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,437
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ View Post
What pointers, if you are serious about achieving something you dont need pointers. You want to win, you practice and test and race and then you may or may not win. If you practice enough, and practice well enough, you WILL win, guaranteed, specially in a sport like RC where the amount of people who really put in the time is fairly small, and more importantly it's not a case of who has the most money or best equipment, it's a case of who wants it most. The younger you are the easier it is, when you get older, start thinking about life after racing, or already have a family, it is harder to find the time to put in the massive amount of time required to gain that last few % so you can win the big races. Some people disagree, and think that they put in a lot of work, but didn't reach a high enough level. Well the truth is, that is because they didn't practice enough! It's pretty simple really. The thing is, most people know what they want, but few actually bother going about getting it.
I agree on the practice and the mentality to win part.
But I think the money part is a lot more important as you say it is.
When you want to practice every week, and compete at the big races you will need a lot of money, more then most people are able to spend.
Until club level or so most are able to have the budget needed to compete.
But when you get to a national and european level the budget needed to compete will go through the roof.
I race 1/10 onroad and on such a level you are looking at 10K euros (14K$) a year, this is quite a lot for the average guy, and even more for a 22 year old student.
__________________
P1-RC.com
DS Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #127
Tech Prophet
 
houston's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: portland OR
Posts: 15,088
Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp View Post
Jq is the man! You are absolutely right, hard work is what it takes to get good results..... I have put in as many hours as possible in between working full time and our crappy weather. Lol i plan on working even harder this year now that i know i will be racing you alot more!

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the races

Tp
Who are you kidding you lil turd?!

You don't even practice but you go to worlds and finish 13th , you are amazing taylor!

tell your old man I said hi!
Cabin fever?
__________________
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #128
JQ
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp View Post
Jq is the man! You are absolutely right, hard work is what it takes to get good results..... I have put in as many hours as possible in between working full time and our crappy weather. Lol i plan on working even harder this year now that i know i will be racing you alot more!

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the races

Tp
HAHA, yes me too. The last 3 years or so my focus has been elsewhere, but now I am back trying to make it happen! Going to be working hard to get to the top and get some wins, and most importantly destroying you and earning chicken fingers. At this point I owe you some.
JQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #129
JQ
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
I agree on the practice and the mentality to win part.
But I think the money part is a lot more important as you say it is.
When you want to practice every week, and compete at the big races you will need a lot of money, more then most people are able to spend.
Until club level or so most are able to have the budget needed to compete.
But when you get to a national and european level the budget needed to compete will go through the roof.
I race 1/10 onroad and on such a level you are looking at 10K euros (14K$) a year, this is quite a lot for the average guy, and even more for a 22 year old student.
I disagree. I started fooling around with RC when I was 16, because then I had the money to buy a car. I started racing when I was 17, and when I was 19 I went to USA for 3 months, got up to speed, and then I got all sorts of sponsors.

I did all that with money from my summer jobs, as I was going to school I wasn't working full time. I bought second hand cars off the local top drivers, and used my money wisely. My main focus was to get max track time, and make the best of what I had.

I live in Finland, where we have a 5 month season, and not a very high level of competition.

So I really do think that anyone with the possibility to live with their family, have a summer job, can make it in RC.

But the trick is to start early, so when you reach 20 you are already at he top and getting paid :-) I didn't get the memo.

I started too late, but now I hope I managed to create a situation where I can race a lot and still have a future eventhough I'm 27 :-)
JQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #130
Tech Prophet
 
houston's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: portland OR
Posts: 15,088
Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ View Post
I disagree. I started fooling around with RC when I was 16, because then I had the money to buy a car. I started racing when I was 17, and when I was 19 I went to USA for 3 months, got up to speed, and then I got all sorts of sponsors.

I did all that with money from my summer jobs, as I was going to school I wasn't working full time. I bought second hand cars off the local top drivers, and used my money wisely. My main focus was to get max track time, and make the best of what I had.

I live in Finland, where we have a 5 month season, and not a very high level of competition.

So I really do think that anyone with the possibility to live with their family, have a summer job, can make it in RC.

But the trick is to start early, so when you reach 20 you are already at he top and getting paid :-) I didn't get the memo.

I started too late, but now I hope I managed to create a situation where I can race a lot and still have a future eventhough I'm 27 :-)
you are a good guy Joseph , great rapport and charisma make you special (not short bus special ) , i think (or hope) you will have a long standing career in the RC field and are able to keep yourself in the black.

good luck with your endeavor bro

gonna be at the nitro challenge?
__________________
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #131
Tech Master
 
pitpop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,445
Default

TP is going to practice?! God help us!
__________________
Cody King's Wrench (and dad :))| Team Kyosho International | Reds Racing Engines | Pro-Line Tires
KO Propo | Byron Fuels | AbsoluteHobbyz.com | Stickit1 Racing | kustomrcgraphics.com
LiveRC.com | OCRC Raceway | codykingrc.com | ROAR Sanctioning Director
pitpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #132
Tech Adept
 
calrosse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: B main and movin up to the A main
Posts: 206
Default

Hey everyone, well I don't really want to be a PRO DRIVER I just want to own the facility that brings in the Big GUYs to race. Thats what I want, and that is what I am saving my pennies for.

Love this thread, gives alot of insight on what you guys have to go through. Thank you.



Schuyler
__________________
THIS SITE HAS THE BEST PEOPLE..........THANK YOU
calrosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #133
Tech Master
 
bgbelden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cleveland, TN
Posts: 1,980
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussies1129 View Post
so it looks like that people who do this for a job dont do it for the money
Find a job you enjoy so much that you would do it for free, and if you get paid doing it, it's just icing on the cake.
I pay to race, i would love to be paid to race.
__________________
''Life's tough ........
it's even tougher if you're stupid..''
-- John Wayne
bgbelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #134
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 711
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Very nice. Thanks for the good read, really enjoyed all 9 pages. Thanks for a "peek" inside a pro driver's life. I had no idea, my perception went 180 degrees.
DuckStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #135
Tech Master
 
bgbelden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cleveland, TN
Posts: 1,980
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem34 View Post
If your on this thread really wanting to know what these guys make, your sorely misguided. Please remember that this is a HOBBY and we race TOY cars (with all due respect).

Granted, there are a few very gifted individuals (Lutz, Tebo, King, Hara,Drake, etc.) that are fortunate to make ends meat, but nobody is making millions like true professional athletes do.

Not trying to bring anybody down, but we should all keep this in perspective. Most everyone on this forum makes their living doing something other than racing toy cars.

If you are looking to make some cash, get a good degree from an creditable University, start a company or inherit a fortune

Either way, keep this as a hobby and quit worrying about what other people ALLEGEDLY make.
I don't believe an Rc car that can travel as fast as the speed limit, spins at 40,000 rpm, burns the same fuel as dragsters and can seriously maime and injure anyone in the way, should be considered a "toy". Lego's never put a knot in my chin or cracked a skull.
Just like any sport, you need endurance for the hour long main and the watery eyes, shaking hands and emotional ups and downs of every lap while you compete for the victory. doesn't sound like childs play to me.
P.S. I hope all the big dogs make loads of money.
__________________
''Life's tough ........
it's even tougher if you're stupid..''
-- John Wayne
bgbelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
West Coast RC Raceway Onroad Racing! charlie_b California Racing 6202 11-17-2015 03:49 PM
Hong Nor / Jammin Products And RC Fans Thread plazma Malaysian R/C Racers 1717 04-02-2013 01:07 AM
Dirtdawgs Rc Money Race oct. 19 Elburn Illinois cheesecake Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 106 10-22-2008 07:49 PM
Does anyone know how much a pro driver like Kinwald or fransis makes? Jhyten Electric Off-Road 101 02-24-2006 06:43 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:53 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net