R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #106
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpop View Post
you guys are wacky, slow your roll a little...

if you eliminate the gag order, all you are doing is ALLOWING the driver to talk about it if he wants to. The manufacturers aren't going to say squat because they don't want anyone to know. It's not going to broadcast everyone's details to the whole world, it would just be a start. Right now it's buttoned up too much. The up and coming drivers have no clue what they should be getting. This wouldn't hurt the industry one bit.

So, manufacturers should take away the 'gag order' and allow the drivers to tell people what they make "if they want". But the manufacture isn't going to say anything because they don't want anyone to know..?
Phrased a different way for emphasis, if a manufacturer doesn't want anyone to know why should they give the driver the ability to talk about it.?

I understand the last point that up and coming drivers have no clue what's available and what they 'should' be getting. I've been in that situation and I know of many other drivers who have been, or are in that situation as well.
At the same time that is what negotiations are for. Just like with any job if you don't ask you don't get. So you shoot for the stars and hope to land and agree on the moon.
What is there out there to quantify someones worth to a company. One driver may be worth $10,000 to one company because they fit the image and the requirements the company is looking for. At another company they may be only worth $5,000 to them. So then when it comes to making contracts you have drivers who will say, well so and so makes $15k a year and I beat him last year so I'm looking for $16k. Again, IMHO..bag of worms.

That's the nice thing about Forums, we can all share our viewpoints, same or different. Just wish some didn't have to call people names because of theirs.

Just let your viewpoint do the talking.
My website = www.lutzinator.com, Find me on Facebook at Facebook.com/lutzrc
-Follow me on Twitter @Lutzrc, #LutzRCRevolution
DRCRacer299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #107
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manufacturercup View Post
You probably right Ryan, depend on how you look at it

Some sports like NFL, MLB, NBA the public knows what the contracts are but you don't know what their endorsement deals are.

I may have brought up a whole different argument of race purses. Might just need to be a thread of its own some day. haha
True that, i'm sure we can make a multitude of threads based on the premise of this topic!
Old 01-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #108
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreff View Post
Ryan, I hope one day to get to meet you. I've heard nothing but great things about you and my little buddy Kyle never stops talking about how you let him run your Truggy at the Pro Series Finals since UPS quarantined his equipment. That's a class act man.
You won't be disappointed a single bit! Class act all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCRacer299 View Post
I'm loving some of the contributions! Many very funny!

RaceCrafters answer of 0) $0 - $50k would be the average! If you win 10 big races a year you can possibly break into #1 based on contingency. If you win all the big ones you might hit #2.
086-75-3090
All very true. Sometimes a win or a loss can determine what your eating next week!
And true that to the last point!
Dude Happy Birthday! Awesome! 26......so young! You got a great start Ryan thats for sure! Make sure to tell your parents thanks today! They raised you right brother!

I can't believe thats all you guys make, it really brings some things into perspective for sure. I have a lot more respect for Pro Rc racers now. That ain't much cash for the time involved!

For A good time call 867-5309....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussies1129 View Post
so it looks like that people who do this for a job dont do it for the money
Praise the Lord, something that isn't money driven! That makes this one of the few honest professions left on this earth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanem121 View Post
I see on NeoBuggy that Ryan has signed a 10 year deal with Team Durango.
LOL, welcome back , how was your time travel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
A paid R/C racer can make anywhere from $200/month (basically gas money) to a little over 100k/year (if they win races that pay a bonus).
Geez, i don't know how they race with such good manners...... Knowing your paycheck comes from the top of the podium, its got to be tempting to take the other guy out!

Quote:
Would this not open up another can of worms? Because there can be so many layers to contracts. Should people be aware of what the World Champion won for winning the Worlds? Should they know what kind of contingency the World Champion got from each of his sponsors? Should people see what kind of potential pay raises the World Champion got from his sponsors?

So say there were no Privacy contracts. Everyone knew what everyone else was making. Everyone knew what was on the line for each driver during each A-main.
We could sit back and say Driver A has $5,000 on the line if he wins. Driver B could walk away with $6,000, while driver C is the underdog and if they win they walk away with $500 but maybe can renegotiate their contracts at the end of the year with the victory....
I can't see how this would be good for the industry.

JMHO
Making the dollars open to the public is going to make RC racing a money grab like every other sport. When the next top guy comes along he wants more than the guy before him. Thats not a healthy way to go about it.

How about this.
You race because you WANT too and LOVE it. So now you need to figure out how to make a living of it. You get REAL good, talk to a couple of car companies. Tell them what you need to support your family and save for the future. They say YEAH OR NO, then its in your court, take it or leave it.

Pretty simple!
Kyosho SCR#86
My Kyosho Stable:Ultima *RB5-sp*Ultima SC-R*Ultima Stadium truck*
Jesus Christ Follower
Hotshotrc.com
Ghostrider86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #109
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider86 View Post
You won't be disappointed a single bit! Class act all the way.

Dude Happy Birthday! Awesome! 26......so young! You got a great start Ryan thats for sure! Make sure to tell your parents thanks today! They raised you right brother!

I can't believe thats all you guys make, it really brings some things into perspective for sure. I have a lot more respect for Pro Rc racers now. That ain't much cash for the time involved!

For A good time call 867-5309....

Praise the Lord, something that isn't money driven! That makes this one of the few honest professions left on this earth!

LOL, welcome back , how was your time travel?

Geez, i don't know how they race with such good manners...... Knowing your paycheck comes from the top of the podium, its got to be tempting to take the other guy out!

Making the dollars open to the public is going to make RC racing a money grab like every other sport. When the next top guy comes along he wants more than the guy before him. Thats not a healthy way to go about it.

How about this.
You race because you WANT too and LOVE it. So now you need to figure out how to make a living of it. You get REAL good, talk to a couple of car companies. Tell them what you need to support your family and save for the future. They say YEAH OR NO, then its in your court, take it or leave it.

Pretty simple!
Thanks for all that Jeff!
Old 01-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #110
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Thanks Ryan,

Just a different perspective on things I have seen from time to time.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #111
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Coming from a contractual based job I'm not sure there is a single simple answer on what should or should not be public. I can see reasons for doing both. I guess it depends on how people see things.

Racing for money? At the top level, to a point, they already are. So making the step to a cash purse for larger events could be done. Wether or not it should be is probably another topic all together. For those that may be concerned that someone might try to take out someone else if money is on the line, it could happen. Though at the top level the professionalism should be such as that shouldn't happen, but could. Lets face it, most of the "top" drivers have raced the same racers for a long time and I would think that by now they "know" each other well enough on the track to know who might be a problem and avoid them if need be.

I think many of the "top" drivers have used their contracts as stepping stones. Meaning that they have tried to make sure each time they sign, it's a better contract than what they had. For them. It may be something as simple as going to more races or less that may make it a better deal. Just depends on what that driver is looking for in that contract. As far as what a driver is worth to a Mfg.? Way too many things that go into that. Glad that I don't have that job.

I have seen people totally screw up a good sponsorship and be left with nothing and have seen people take a lesser deal and make it work wonders for them. Just depends on who the person is.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #112
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

As this hobby developing and growing of course more money get involved .People want to know and they have right to know how much their "star'" making.The industry changing .This pro drivers are our celebrity .You have to expect that people gonna talk about it more and more !Do we know how much Kyle Busch makes ?Yes!Or ,how much money made Floyd Mayweather by beating Oscar De La Hoya.Yes!How about our RC "stars"?...Cool people gonna be cool,envious gonna be envious anyway......
Old 01-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #113
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Ryan thanks for the great topic! Your such a class act and anyone would know that if they have met you. Most of you don't have a clue what Ryan did for a kid at the RC Pro International finals in Alvarado Tx. Pretty dang awsome to see a pro driver let a kid get to use there own personal race cars to qualify and then race. I do not the kid personally but here is the story...

"This past week at the International Finals was one of those times that made me glad to be in the industry and be able to call a lot of these people friends.

We had a young racer Kyle Exley fly in from the Northeast for his 1st Finals and simply put nothing went right for him. His tools made it to the arena but his cars apparently fell into a black hole at UPS. Currently his folks have spent way to much money to try and get this problem taken care of with UPS and get his equipment to the event but none of it ever came through. This was brought to my attention Tuesday so I set off trying to see what we could do to help. After talking to a few of the racers we had a truck and e buggy lined up for qualifying. After more talk with UPS he was assured he would have his equipment early the 1st day of qualifying so he opted to wait on it and returned the borrowed equipment. Thanks to James Sublette, Robert LeVaughn, Kelly Hilmer, Thomas Rogers, Mike Battaile and everyone else who donated equipment for that effort.

So the next day we find out that UPS blew it AGAIN! So I called Ron Wall who races for RC Pro Products and Castle Creations to ask if he has a backup E Buggy he could loan Kyle. He didn't but he offered to let Kyle use his buggy in qualifying to see if he could put it into the A with the anticipation of Kyle's own equipment arriving before main day. While we were talking in the booth with Ron and Kyle another of our team guys was on hand and heard what was going on and that Kyle needed a truck for his Intermediate Arena Truck qualifying............ within seconds of hearing this he offered the truck he was running in Pro Arena Truck for Kyle to run in his class. That racer was Ryan Lutz!

In qualifying Kyle wound up in the B main for E Buggy and B main in the Intermediate Arena Truck both of which were scheduled to run on Saturday so hopefully UPS could get his stuff to the arena now.
Saturday morning no equipment......... HMMM big surprise! The phrase "What can Brown do to YOU" was used numerous times over the day after that.

In E Buggy Ron Wall opted to let Kyle run the B Main instead of him and see if he could get it to the A Main. He came close just missing the bump spot.
In Int Arena Truck Kyle ran Ryan's truck again I believe leading for some time and hanging in the bump spot until late in the event before a mechanical issue took him out of the last bump spot.
Although not quite as great as it could have been had he made both A Mains I think most of the weekend was salvaged for Kyle and his Dad. I know they still have the problem finding and getting back their equipment. Kyle should have something to remember for a long time especially the chance to race a top Pro's own truck.
Kyle and his Dad came to me on Saturday and wanted to express their thanks to everyone who played a part in the week.

I personally want to thank everyone that stepped up so quickly to help a fellow racer with a problem. The response simply amazed me"

I do not think alot of the Pro drivers would do this for a fello racer but I could be wrong. I think Durango got an awsome deal when they signed you because of your personallity and the way you conduct your self at the track. Im sure any RC company would love to have you on there team. Keep up the good work.

And will we see you again this year in Dallas, Tx. for the Ice Breaker Race on Feb. 26th & 27th.? Seems like you had bad luck there last year at that race.

Lance Plant
Old 01-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #114
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
Happy Birth Day Ryan!
I share a Birthday with the Lutzinator?? I knew I liked Ryan for a reason.. LOL
Old 01-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #115
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
A paid R/C racer can make anywhere from $200/month (basically gas money) to a little over 100k/year (if they win races that pay a bonus).
In my book they Don't pay you enough Ryan !! What ever it is ,,You are a true Ambassador for this sport ,your integrity ,your generosity on and off the track and your turn marshalling is second to none !! Oh yea almost for got your pretty fast on the track too !! A millon dollar man if you ask me !!
I'm sure that Team Durango and you will win alot of races in the next 10yrs !!
Team Durango is pretty smart to offer you a 10yr deal ! IMHO
Good luck in 2011 !! GO LUTZINATOR !
rc racer 103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #116
Tech Master

Quote:

So, manufacturers should take away the 'gag order' and allow the drivers to tell people what they make "if they want". But the manufacture isn't going to say anything because they don't want anyone to know..?
Phrased a different way for emphasis, if a manufacturer doesn't want anyone to know why should they give the driver the ability to talk about it.?

I understand the last point that up and coming drivers have no clue what's available and what they 'should' be getting. I've been in that situation and I know of many other drivers who have been, or are in that situation as well.
At the same time that is what negotiations are for. Just like with any job if you don't ask you don't get. So you shoot for the stars and hope to land and agree on the moon.
What is there out there to quantify someones worth to a company. One driver may be worth $10,000 to one company because they fit the image and the requirements the company is looking for. At another company they may be only worth $5,000 to them. So then when it comes to making contracts you have drivers who will say, well so and so makes $15k a year and I beat him last year so I'm looking for $16k. Again, IMHO..bag of worms.

That's the nice thing about Forums, we can all share our viewpoints, same or different. Just wish some didn't have to call people names because of theirs.

Just let your viewpoint do the talking.
No, the driver should remove the secrecy statements out of the contract before they sign it... simple.
pitpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #117
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Reality Check....

If your on this thread really wanting to know what these guys make, your sorely misguided. Please remember that this is a HOBBY and we race TOY cars (with all due respect).

Granted, there are a few very gifted individuals (Lutz, Tebo, King, Hara,Drake, etc.) that are fortunate to make ends meat, but nobody is making millions like true professional athletes do.

Not trying to bring anybody down, but we should all keep this in perspective. Most everyone on this forum makes their living doing something other than racing toy cars.

If you are looking to make some cash, get a good degree from an creditable University, start a company or inherit a fortune

Either way, keep this as a hobby and quit worrying about what other people ALLEGEDLY make.
hookem34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:43 AM   #118
JQ
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbranham50 View Post
I will take some of those pointers too!

What up TP and you too JQ!
What pointers, if you are serious about achieving something you dont need pointers. You want to win, you practice and test and race and then you may or may not win. If you practice enough, and practice well enough, you WILL win, guaranteed, specially in a sport like RC where the amount of people who really put in the time is fairly small, and more importantly it's not a case of who has the most money or best equipment, it's a case of who wants it most. The younger you are the easier it is, when you get older, start thinking about life after racing, or already have a family, it is harder to find the time to put in the massive amount of time required to gain that last few % so you can win the big races. Some people disagree, and think that they put in a lot of work, but didn't reach a high enough level. Well the truth is, that is because they didn't practice enough! It's pretty simple really. The thing is, most people know what they want, but few actually bother going about getting it.
JQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:00 AM   #119
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ View Post
What pointers, if you are serious about achieving something you dont need pointers. You want to win, you practice and test and race and then you may or may not win. If you practice enough, and practice well enough, you WILL win, guaranteed, specially in a sport like RC where the amount of people who really put in the time is fairly small, and more importantly it's not a case of who has the most money or best equipment, it's a case of who wants it most. The younger you are the easier it is, when you get older, start thinking about life after racing, or already have a family, it is harder to find the time to put in the massive amount of time required to gain that last few % so you can win the big races. Some people disagree, and think that they put in a lot of work, but didn't reach a high enough level. Well the truth is, that is because they didn't practice enough! It's pretty simple really. The thing is, most people know what they want, but few actually bother going about getting it.
nice
J-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #120
Tech Rookie

I'm gladI clean pools for a living and race for fun.... Hope to see everyone at the PNBIV...
arrow22a is offline   Reply With Quote