Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
How much does a Pro RC Driver make? >

How much does a Pro RC Driver make?

How much does a Pro RC Driver make?

Old 01-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

A paid R/C racer can make anywhere from $200/month (basically gas money) to a little over 100k/year (if they win races that pay a bonus).
Old 01-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

Do they get an Education budget? A 401K? A Pension? How about health/life insurance?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tp
Jq send me some pointers on how to make that happen..... My back is only gonna last so long roofing. Lol It is a hobby as i make no income but someday it would be cool to be an elite driver, just gotta step up my game And win more chicken fingers from you!!!! Ha!!!!!!!

Tp
I will take some of those pointers too!

What up TP and you too JQ!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Ryan great post and congrats on you new deal.

Rick you stole my thunder. LOL. Not really.

I think what many people see is what the top guys have and would like to have that same thing without knowing all the details that go into it. I would think Ryan's post helped with that. I for one am not sure if I could do that at that level, though some days it'd be nice to have that option.

The actual ammount a top driver can make varies between drivers and their contracts, which is probably why they those drivers don't come out and say what they make or can make. I am sure many of those top drivers have an idea of what their fellow drivers get, but exact numbers are probably not known. There are some drivers that work directly for one of their sponsors and may earn income from that more than any other money they might get from winning races.

Say the top 10% of sponsored drivers get paid some ammount to race, figure 5% may get enough to say it's their job, then figure only 1-2% of those get enough to be on the high end of the pay scale. My numbers are just general numbers to work with, but I think people will get the idea. The number of "paid" racers is a pretty small number on the whole of the hobby/racers. To be at and stay at that level is not an easy thing to do and I am sure that many "top" guys have been burnt out more than one time in their time at that level. The pressure of having to win any time they show up to a race (club race or big event) affects people in different ways. It is what it is. It does make it very nice to come accross "top" racers such as Ryan and a few others I have met over the years that still have an enjoyment in the hobby and will help anyone just about any time.

Anyway back to what people seem to want to know. I do know of a former "top" driver that said that he did make 100K or slightly over that. Those that heard that figured that that is what he made all the time and didn't stick around to hear that other part. He said that making that was only one or two years of his career and the rest of the time it was not even close to that. Of course that was over 12 years ago, but I think that still is a fair logic even today.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pointforward
Thanks for the article Ryan! In this day and age, it's rare to see people put themselves out there with as much candor and sincerity.

Kudos as well on the long-term deal, which is even more rare. Says a lot about your character, and for that, kudos should go to your folks too.

Apart from the monetary value, I think that you can just make a living (not necessarily getting filthy rich) doing what you love is in itself PRICELESS. I'm sure not a few of us here would give up a higher paying job -- which might not necessarily be our passion, gives us stress, which would eventually lead to some stress-induced ailment, and early death -- for a career in something we're truly passionate about.

How many can really say that they're passionate about being a banker, a manager, a supervisor, an accountant? I think true passions are those that stirred your imagination when you were a kid, something like being a basketball player, a fireman, James Bond, or a member of the A-Team.

And that's what RC racing probably is to you -- something that got you excited as a kid, and let's you get excited like a kid even as an adult. Priceless, right?
Priceless!

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
A paid R/C racer can make anywhere from $200/month (basically gas money) to a little over 100k/year (if they win races that pay a bonus).
And there you have it folks. From someone hi up in R/C and been around this industry for a long time.

Originally Posted by Chris Peralta
Do they get an Education budget? A 401K? A Pension? How about health/life insurance?
This depends on the deal and who your racing for. Some top drivers are employees of the company. They still go into the company certain days of the week or maybe are simply on the companies payroll and are considered an employee. In those instances Insurance and a 401K may be included. I'm sure some may also offer an education budget but with the race schedule expected honestly going back to school or what not is a big commitment for the company and it's someone they would want to hire on for a purpose later on.
Other drivers are considered more self employed. They may get a salary and get reimbursed for travel and such but other than that they are on their own as far as insurance or investments ext.

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing
Ryan great post and congrats on you new deal.

Rick you stole my thunder. LOL. Not really.

I think what many people see is what the top guys have and would like to have that same thing without knowing all the details that go into it. I would think Ryan's post helped with that. I for one am not sure if I could do that at that level, though some days it'd be nice to have that option.

The actual ammount a top driver can make varies between drivers and their contracts, which is probably why they those drivers don't come out and say what they make or can make. I am sure many of those top drivers have an idea of what their fellow drivers get, but exact numbers are probably not known. There are some drivers that work directly for one of their sponsors and may earn income from that more than any other money they might get from winning races.

Say the top 10% of sponsored drivers get paid some ammount to race, figure 5% may get enough to say it's their job, then figure only 1-2% of those get enough to be on the high end of the pay scale. My numbers are just general numbers to work with, but I think people will get the idea. The number of "paid" racers is a pretty small number on the whole of the hobby/racers. To be at and stay at that level is not an easy thing to do and I am sure that many "top" guys have been burnt out more than one time in their time at that level. The pressure of having to win any time they show up to a race (club race or big event) affects people in different ways. It is what it is. It does make it very nice to come accross "top" racers such as Ryan and a few others I have met over the years that still have an enjoyment in the hobby and will help anyone just about any time.

Anyway back to what people seem to want to know. I do know of a former "top" driver that said that he did make 100K or slightly over that. Those that heard that figured that that is what he made all the time and didn't stick around to hear that other part. He said that making that was only one or two years of his career and the rest of the time it was not even close to that. Of course that was over 12 years ago, but I think that still is a fair logic even today.
Great addition thank you. Yes, the top top elite on their best years can crack 100k. It's not a guarantee and for sure not easy. Winning that many races to be able to do that is hard with the level of competition out there today. Also their contracts would have to reflect good enough contingencies for winning for this to happen as well.

Also true is that most pro drivers have some 'idea' of what others make but really I don't think anyone really knows what anyone else makes or can make. Of course there is always rumors but generally they are false and exaggerated.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

This is a dangerous thread, but I can't help but dip my toe in the pool.

To piggy back on what you just said, I'm a firm believer that the privacy clauses should be eliminated from contracts.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pitpop
This is a dangerous thread, but I can't help but dip my toe in the pool.

To piggy back on what you just said, I'm a firm believer that the privacy clauses should be eliminated from contracts.
Would this not open up another can of worms? Because there can be so many layers to contracts. Should people be aware of what the World Champion won for winning the Worlds? Should they know what kind of contingency the World Champion got from each of his sponsors? Should people see what kind of potential pay raises the World Champion got from his sponsors?

So say there were no Privacy contracts. Everyone knew what everyone else was making. Everyone knew what was on the line for each driver during each A-main.
We could sit back and say Driver A has $5,000 on the line if he wins. Driver B could walk away with $6,000, while driver C is the underdog and if they win they walk away with $500 but maybe can renegotiate their contracts at the end of the year with the victory....
I can't see how this would be good for the industry.

JMHO
Old 01-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by jwm2
Once you make a hobby your full time job the fun seems to get sucked out. No matter if its rc's, competitive gaming or anything you compete with and make money. The same can be said for professional bass fishermen. I love rc's and i love fishing, but i can't see doing it for a living. As much as i'd like to, i know once you cross that line, you can't go back. I wish you the best of luck, and i enjoy your posts and insight. You are a rare breed who can take the pressure and enjoy doing it
This is so true i used to play paintball at a pro lvl and now have no desire to ever play again after a few years of it. if you want to keep it fun keep it a hobby.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

everyone needs to show their paycheck stubs at race signup. new rule.

Class
Frequency
Transponder
Income
Old 01-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DRCRacer299
Would this not open up another can of worms? Because there can be so many layers to contracts. Should people be aware of what the World Champion won for winning the Worlds? Should they know what kind of contingency the World Champion got from each of his sponsors? Should people see what kind of potential pay raises the World Champion got from his sponsors?

So say there were no Privacy contracts. Everyone knew what everyone else was making. Everyone knew what was on the line for each driver during each A-main.
We could sit back and say Driver A has $5,000 on the line if he wins. Driver B could walk away with $6,000, while driver C is the underdog and if they win they walk away with $500 but maybe can renegotiate their contracts at the end of the year with the victory....
I can't see how this would be good for the industry.

JMHO
I agree that that would open a can of worms and that each contract has different layers. this can cause a lot of problems.

but as far as people everyone knowing whats on the line, I think that information could be good for the hobby in a way. As a spectator i think the main would be a lot more exciting if i knew what each driver has on the line. If people want our hobby to go "main stream" and be taken serious in the eyes of the non-rc racing spectator, then informing them of the amount of money on line line can help with that. If people knew what was really on the line at each big event, it would be hard to think of our hobby as racing "toy" cars.

Look at the PGA tour. People watching can associate with what is on the line for the last put on the 18th green. That makes it even more exciting to watch. many sports are like this.

I would like to see prize money at these large event. not that i would ever win any. lol
Old 01-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Tech Rookie

my 12 year old has a fully sponsered drive he gets free travel free hotels and food and still gives me grief. kids who`d have em

i,m thinking of making him pay for it himself lets see how fast he is then;
Old 01-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I would think that being a professional in most sports would tend to allow terms of contracts and such to be more public. We can find out what the RB of the NY Jets makes, SS of the KC Royals, ect. There was just an interesting story on ESPN this past sunday on what NFL players stand to make on performance incentives of their contracts as their season was coming close to an end. Now one can ask is RC a sport entity like the NFL, NBA, ect? Should the professional racers be viewed the same? I know it is not on that grand scheme but are the ones that are truly professional in RC that much different? Food for though.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Manufacturercup
I agree that that would open a can of worms and that each contract has different layers. this can cause a lot of problems.

but as far as people everyone knowing whats on the line, I think that information could be good for the hobby in a way. As a spectator i think the main would be a lot more exciting if i knew what each driver has on the line. If people want our hobby to go "main stream" and be taken serious in the eyes of the non-rc racing spectator, then informing them of the amount of money on line line can help with that. If people knew what was really on the line at each big event, it would be hard to think of our hobby as racing "toy" cars.

Look at the PGA tour. People watching can associate with what is on the line for the last put on the 18th green. That makes it even more exciting to watch. many sports are like this.

I would like to see prize money at these large event. not that i would ever win any. lol
Here's the difference that I see. I'm sure if Tiger Woods won a tournament we know what the tournament purse is. Therefore we know how much he made for that tournament. However (and I could be wrong) but we don't necessarily know all the bonuses that he makes from his sponsors for the win.

What would make R/C more mainstream and Legit like you mention is for there to be a Race purse as has been done a few times. Then people know what's on the line like the NitroCross World Championships. I don't follow how much professionals in other sports make but (and correct me if i'm wrong) for instance a NASCAR driver who wins a race, we all know the purse for the race and what he won. However is it possible that many of his other sponsors give him a contingency or something based on his win? But it's something that we don't hear or know the specifics on?

I don't think it's right to know what is on the line for all the drivers when what we are talking about is a negotiated deal between said driver and his sponsors. If it's a race purse, it's different.

Maybe i'm wrong on this but again it's just MHO!
Old 01-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

you guys are acting wacky, slow your roll a little...

if you eliminate the gag order, all you are doing is ALLOWING the driver to talk about it if he wants to. The manufacturers aren't going to say squat because they don't want anyone to know. It's not going to broadcast everyone's details to the whole world, it would just be a start. Right now it's buttoned up too much. The up and coming drivers have no clue what they should be getting. This wouldn't hurt the industry one bit.

Last edited by pitpop; 01-07-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

You probably right Ryan, depend on how you look at it

Some sports like NFL, MLB, NBA the public knows what the contracts are but you don't know what their endorsement deals are.

I may have brought up a whole different argument of race purses. Might just need to be a thread of its own some day. haha

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.