R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

Like others have said, I don't think people really stop and think what's involved, and if you would TRUELY enjoy it even if the opportunity presented itself. People consider it a dream job, and for some it is.

Think about it this way, have you ever gone to a 4 day race, then when you get home late Sunday night or on Monday, you tell yourself, "man, I don't think I want to race again for about a month". Or you feel like you don't even want to spend another 8-12 hrs. to properly race prep 2 nitro vehicles anytime soon, and you look at them with last event's dirt still on them and dread having to do it all over again. Then after you build the car, you know you have a ton of tires that need to be glued. Sure, by Thursday you're ready to wrench again, but these guy are already flying out to the next race, already prepped. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE racing, but when you put into perspective that these guys don't have the option to just "put it off" until next weekend, I'm some times it gets a little fatiguing. In most cases, NOTHING is as FUN when you have to do it for money or a job as to when you do it for fun. Mechanics don't always want to work on their own car, golf instructors don't always want to go out and play a round on the weekend, I am sure R/C careers are the same way. There are surely times you may not WANT to go race, but you have to. For a few of them I'm sure they love every minute, but if you asked half of the worlds paid drivers, most of them would probably admit to some level of "burn out" just like any job has. I admire guys like Ryan who can actually make it look they are having a great time ANY time they are at the track.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #47
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCRacer299 View Post
Little bit of false advertising huh?
Mr lutz

can you give us a range

1) $50k to $100K

2) $100k to $150k

3) $150K to $200K

4) $200k and above
Bear_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #48
Tech Rookie

and your SSN#
arrow22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #49
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

if your the top 10 in the world at anything you should make some good money.. cause at that point its alot of work.
Dnano
fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_ View Post
Mr lutz

can you give us a range

0) $0k to $50K

1) $50k to $100K

2) $100k to $150k

3) $150K to $200K

4) $200k and above
Less than #1

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #51
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
if your the top 10 in the world at anything you should make some good money.. cause at that point its alot of work.
Treyarch won't compensate me for that........

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #52
Tech Regular

you would have to pay me a lot of money to be expected to race that many events and be "expected" to compete at every one. I love racing but people dont realize what it takes to be on the road that much and to be at that level.

I think that they should be paid more.

questions please e-mail Manufacturerscup@gmail.com don't PM (i dont ever check it)
Manufacturercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #53
Tech Addict

Happy birthday Ryan!

I'm looking forward to watching you wheel that Durango around the track on the 15th...you always put on quite a show for all of us who wish we had half of your talent. Thanks for the positive attitude you bring each and every day, and for your passion for helping others...you could teach Charles Barkley what it's like to be a role model...
Team RcRenew...visit us at rcrenew.com!
Triton RC Alpha Plus Engines
rcgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #54
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

From what I've been told, the top guys definitely have a lot of pressure put on them in many ways. One of the ways is that they have contingency money from their various sponsors for various races. If they blow out at a major event, they lose out on contingency money from a lot of different manufacturers:

- Chassis
- Engine
- Electronics
- Tires
- Fuel

And I imagine in some cases there are other sources of contingency money. In some isolated cases, there might not even be a guarantee that the contingency check you just won won't bounce!

By nature, high level racers are extremely competitive and on edge while on the driver's stand, so a huge challenge is to learn to rein in the emotions when others are around.

I've seen top level drivers in the midst of travel burnout. Having done a lot of traveling in the past, I know that it can really turn into a grind going from place to place each week.

It's definitely a different lifestyle than Joe Lunchbox experiences. Tons of fun in some ways, very difficult in others.

Ryan - One good thing about not being paid much is that you're in a lower tax bracket!
Old 01-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #55
Tech Regular

I'm loving some of the contributions! Many very funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbranham50 View Post
26!

I thought you were older than that? No wonder you can turn faster, pull the trigger faster, crash less, faster lap times, more consistent, make National A mains, win big races, 10 year contracts, tune a motor better, see the track better, marshall better, do back flips and still turn faster lap times than me, get away with a pink headed motor, 11 acres with 2 tracks, stay up for a 18 hour race day and still have the energy to pit for people, work on their cars, extra marshal duty,............................................. .................................................. ................... Happy B-Day!

lol!
Case in point...Hilarious Jason!
And thanks for the b-day wish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_ View Post
Mr lutz

can you give us a range

1) $50k to $100K

2) $100k to $150k

3) $150K to $200K

4) $200k and above
RaceCrafters answer of 0) $0 - $50k would be the average! If you win 10 big races a year you can possibly break into #1 based on contingency. If you win all the big ones you might hit #2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow22a View Post
and your SSN#
086-75-3090

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkarTisu View Post
From what I've been told, the top guys definitely have a lot of pressure put on them in many ways. One of the ways is that they have contingency money from their various sponsors for various races. If they blow out at a major event, they lose out on contingency money from a lot of different manufacturers:

- Chassis
- Engine
- Electronics
- Tires
- Fuel

And I imagine in some cases there are other sources of contingency money. In some isolated cases, there might not even be a guarantee that the contingency check you just won won't bounce!

By nature, high level racers are extremely competitive and on edge while on the driver's stand, so a huge challenge is to learn to rein in the emotions when others are around.

I've seen top level drivers in the midst of travel burnout. Having done a lot of traveling in the past, I know that it can really turn into a grind going from place to place each week.

It's definitely a different lifestyle than Joe Lunchbox experiences. Tons of fun in some ways, very difficult in others.

Ryan - One good thing about not being paid much is that you're in a lower tax bracket!
All very true. Sometimes a win or a loss can determine what your eating next week!

And true that to the last point!
My website = www.lutzinator.com, Find me on Facebook at Facebook.com/lutzrc
-Follow me on Twitter @Lutzrc, #LutzRCRevolution
DRCRacer299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #56
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to porkchop Send a message via Yahoo to porkchop

happy birthday ryan
first rounds on me after midwest pratice
Old 01-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

so it looks like that people who do this for a job dont do it for the money
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #58
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Happy Birthday Ryan
see you on the 15th
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #59
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Happy Birthday Ryan!
You are such a great example for everyone to follow.
Doing the what you love for a living is a great acheivement.
You will do great job for Durango!

Russ and Hunter
Russ Kinsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #60
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Melton View Post
Like others have said, I don't think people really stop and think what's involved, and if you would TRUELY enjoy it even if the opportunity presented itself. People consider it a dream job, and for some it is.

Think about it this way, have you ever gone to a 4 day race, then when you get home late Sunday night or on Monday, you tell yourself, "man, I don't think I want to race again for about a month". Or you feel like you don't even want to spend another 8-12 hrs. to properly race prep 2 nitro vehicles anytime soon, and you look at them with last event's dirt still on them and dread having to do it all over again. Then after you build the car, you know you have a ton of tires that need to be glued. Sure, by Thursday you're ready to wrench again, but these guy are already flying out to the next race, already prepped. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE racing, but when In most cases, NOTHING is as FUN when you have to do it for money or a job as to when you do it for fun. Mechanics don't always want to work on their own car, golf instructors don't always want to go out and play a round on the weekend, I am sure R/C careers are the same way. There are surely times you may not WANT to go race, but you have to. For a few of them I'm sure they love every minute, but if you asked half of the worlds paid drivers, most of them would probably admit to some level of "burn out" just like any job has. I admire guys like Ryan who can actually make it look they are having a great time ANY time they are at the track.
That's it very very true. When I worked at a hobby shop the last thing I wanted to do when I got home was work on my RC's after working on customers vehicles all day. LOL I couldn't even look at them.
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote