Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much does a Pro RC Driver make?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Soo.....I missed the part that said how much they make?
Old 01-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ryan, Well said and Congrats on your new deal with Durango!
Old 01-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jwm2
I'm guessing almost enough to pay the bills
That's about right....Almost enough!

Originally Posted by bohdi
enough to afford 11 acre spread and that ain't cheap!

More power to you!
Guess you didn't understand the part of moving in with my wife and her family (mom, dad, brother) and also having another room rented out and we are only renting...
Don't mean to use you as an example but this is what I mean about not knowing the facts and making comments!
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think Ryan said 11 acres worth...lol
Tech Regular

Happy 26th Ryan... You probably don't know me but i am the only tall black guy that goes to delta lol... We have had a few words here and there at delta and during the norcal series.. Just want to say your post was money... Advertising is the key... Heck I'm gonna pick up the Durango buggy for sure soon... Im a truggy guy so the talks of a Durango truggy has me excited also..... Are you gonna be at delta on the 15th? Watching you and Tyler vik battle it out is Simply fun to watch... Those tracks you are building hmmmm wonder if I can do some testing on them for you when you get them done... LOL... Well cheers and hope to see that Durango in action on the 15th
Old 01-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jbranham50
Ryan, Well said and Congrats on your new deal with Durango!
Thanks Jason

Originally Posted by jbranham50
I think Ryan said 11 acres worth...lol
I could only hope to some day be able to get a place like this on my own...Not happening with my current occupation I can tell you that!
Old 01-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Teccmoney
Happy 26th Ryan... You probably don't know me but i am the only tall black guy that goes to delta lol... We have had a few words here and there at delta and during the norcal series.. Just want to say your post was money... Advertising is the key... Heck I'm gonna pick up the Durango buggy for sure soon... Im a truggy guy so the talks of a Durango truggy has me excited also..... Are you gonna be at delta on the 15th? Watching you and Tyler vik battle it out is Simply fun to watch... Those tracks you are building hmmmm wonder if I can do some testing on them for you when you get them done... LOL... Well cheers and hope to see that Durango in action on the 15th
I do plan on being there on the 15th! Stop by and say hi and we can go over the car a bit! Thanks for the B-day wishes.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Man Ryan... you hit the nail on the head, it's not even funny.

I spent YEARS(lost count now) trying to be the best I can be at On-Road touring car racing (and have won 3 national championships at SnowBird Nationals now). That was my passion for the longest time. In 2006, Losi gave me the opportunity to run for them as the first 100% level sponsorship I ever had. They even helped with some travel and expenses, but no salary or anything like that. After a couple years with Losi, they kind of gave up on on-road as off-road is the real money maker in this industry. I then switched to TOP racing, which is who I'm still with and have been an awesome company to run for. They've covered basically everything at some of the larger races I've attended, but it's not a salary thing. I have a normal full time 9-5 job and I can't imagine the grueling hours of testing, preparation, stress level to perform well, and still maintain that professionalism that companies require for you to be an ambassador for the hobby.

It truly takes special individuals to be the "Paid" drivers for companies. Some get it from starting soo young and their families really helping to individuals that started themselves that have just put all their time and energy into racing where they finally get recognized.

I know, when I was 15, all I could think about was getting sponsored by someone big to be able to do it full time. Now being 30 and having a full time job, I treat it more as a hobby to have a blast and use it more as a stress reliever. I'm VERY lucky to have the sponsors that I have and how they're more concerned with you being a "Team" player and helping others than winning everything under the sun. Don't get me wrong, they love you winning too. I've seen some big names go from the top of their game to basically being unemployed as R/C was all they did. Those fortunate to have jobs in the industry that don't require traveling to race are very lucky.

To sum this up... those of you that are Paid to do this for a living should cherish every single moment. The travel, the places you get to go to, the new friends you meet, the competition are all things us little guys envy.

Ryan, I hope one day to get to meet you. I've heard nothing but great things about you and my little buddy Kyle never stops talking about how you let him run your Truggy at the Pro Series Finals since UPS quarantined his equipment. That's a class act man.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Wow, really good informative thread/post! I remember about a decade ago when I tried to make the jump from hobby to job in full time racing (nearly, didn't quite make it!), it is so difficult to explain how it feels to people. On the one hand, it becomes much more serious, more pressure, a lot of the "fun" goes out of it, again travel/time away (rc and full size both tends to be weekend events)....

....but on the other, the intensity goes up to and in a different way the
Enjoyment goes up 10 fold! Both the downsides and upsides become more intense! I'd love to go back to racing one day in a purely fun capacity, but have no regrets at all in making it a "job" last time!!

I imagine in many ways the pr side of things is even harder in rc, you are driving the same product the customer buys (unlike full size racing) so as you say whenever you have an offday it can reflect badly on the product! Much kudos therefore to people like yourself Ryan who've made that jump while being able to keep a reputation as such a friendly and helpful guy trackside!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by schreff
Man Ryan... you hit the nail on the head, it's not even funny.

I spent YEARS(lost count now) trying to be the best I can be at On-Road touring car racing. That was my passion for the longest time. In 2006, Losi gave me the opportunity to run for them as the first 100% level sponsorship I ever had. They even helped with some travel and expenses, but no salary or anything like that. After a couple years with Losi, they kind of gave up on on-road as off-road is the real money maker in this industry. I then switched to TOP racing, which is who I'm still with and have been an awesome company to run for. They've covered basically everything at some of the larger races I've attended, but it's not a salary thing. I have a normal full time 9-5 job and I can't imagine the grueling hours of testing, preparation, stress level to perform well, and still maintain that professionalism that companies require for you to be an ambassador for the hobby.

It truly takes special individuals to be the "Paid" drivers for companies. Some get it from starting soo young and their families really helping to individuals that started themselves that have just put all their time and energy into racing where they finally get recognized.

I know, when I was 15, all I could think about was getting sponsored by someone big to be able to do it full time. Now being 30 and having a full time job, I treat it more as a hobby to have a blast and use it more as a stress reliever. I'm VERY lucky to have the sponsors that I have and how they're more concerned with you being a "Team" player and helping others than winning everything under the sun. Don't get me wrong, they love you winning too. I've seen some big names go from the top of their game to basically being unemployed as R/C was all they did. Those fortunate to have jobs in the industry that don't require traveling to race are very lucky.

To sum this up... those of you that are Paid to do this for a living should cherish every single moment. The travel, the places you get to go to, the new friends you meet, the competition are all things us little guys envy.

Ryan, I hope one day to get to meet you. I've heard nothing but great things about you and my little buddy Kyle never stops talking about how you let him run your Truggy at the Pro Series Finals since UPS quarantined his equipment. That's a class act man.
I really appreciate the post and for adding your contribution to it.
I will be at Motorama and I'm looking hard at the R/C Pro race in Rome this year so maybe we can meet at one of those? Tell Kyle I said Hi and I hope you have a great year!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DRCRacer299
I could only hope to some day be able to get a place like this on my own...Not happening with my current occupation I can tell you that!
Oh come on, it's not that hard to do. All you need is to go out and win 7 or 8 Worlds titles. Then you can make that big Collari money. What are you waiting for.

For those who don't understand emoticons, that was a VERY sarcastic comment.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default WELL SAID

Well said, theres always more than meets the eye!, i can relate, as i owned a hobby shop for 5 years, SOLD it about the same time, when i had the store, i LOST the fun factor, it was easy to sell and walk away from as i had other buisness wich paid the bills " so to speak" anyhow i am enjoying the hobby once again!!!LOL>.. Its a tuff industry , very cut-throat!!.. Thanx for putting things into perspective and sheddiing that light, like the famous saying goes from way back when, " The grass always looks greener, From the other side"
Old 01-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Happy Birth Day Ryan!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wingracer
Oh come on, it's not that hard to do. All you need is to go out and win 7 or 8 Worlds titles. Then you can make that big Collari money. What are you waiting for.

For those who don't understand emoticons, that was a VERY sarcastic comment.
This is True! if I can go win 7 or 8 world titles (which constitutes 14-16 years) I just might be able too!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DaveG28
Wow, really good informative thread/post! I remember about a decade ago when I tried to make the jump from hobby to job in full time racing (nearly, didn't quite make it!), it is so difficult to explain how it feels to people. On the one hand, it becomes much more serious, more pressure, a lot of the "fun" goes out of it, again travel/time away (rc and full size both tends to be weekend events)....

....but on the other, the intensity goes up to and in a different way the
Enjoyment goes up 10 fold! Both the downsides and upsides become more intense! I'd love to go back to racing one day in a purely fun capacity, but have no regrets at all in making it a "job" last time!!

I imagine in many ways the pr side of things is even harder in rc, you are driving the same product the customer buys (unlike full size racing) so as you say whenever you have an offday it can reflect badly on the product! Much kudos therefore to people like yourself Ryan who've made that jump while being able to keep a reputation as such a friendly and helpful guy trackside!
Thanks for the contribution and kudos! Much appreciated!

Originally Posted by TommyBlazin
Well said, theres always more than meets the eye!, i can relate, as i owned a hobby shop for 5 years, SOLD it about the same time, when i had the store, i LOST the fun factor, it was easy to sell and walk away from as i had other buisness wich paid the bills " so to speak" anyhow i am enjoying the hobby once again!!!LOL>.. Its a tuff industry , very cut-throat!!.. Thanx for putting things into perspective and sheddiing that light, like the famous saying goes from way back when, " The grass always looks greener, From the other side"
Yes, My dad also has a hobby shop and has for a long time and he too has lost the enjoyment from the hobby because of it! Cut Throat it is!!

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Happy Birth Day Ryan!
Thanks much! ........14 more years and I'll give you a run for your money in that 40+ class! ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.