Search

How much does a Pro RC Driver make?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pitpop
TP is going to practice?! God help us!
ya i know , i gotta race with him locally!!
Old 01-09-2011, 11:33 AM
tp
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks Monty! Yea i will be at cabin feaver...... Easy PK, i raced twice before worlds in the summer........ That was alot for me! Lol This year i plan on practicing as much as possible between work, i wanna see what will happen if i put some real time behind the wheel before nats. Only bad thing is i have'nt touched a raidio since worlds and can't till feb. Snow and no indoor tracks anywhere where i live.

Pk tell Cody he is my hero and cant wait to try and battle with the wc!

Tp
Old 01-09-2011, 11:38 AM
tp
Tech Adept

Jq,
I'll take my chinken fingers at the NC!

Tp
Old 01-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

This is a cool thread and it is cool to see all the pros on here talking. To me this is a sport also, I raced motocross for 11 years and I get just as pumped racing RC as I did racing motocross and I dont know that many toys that cost $1000's and $100's on race day to be competitive. I lived in AZ and was always like how does Maifield have that killer new Truck New House, 4 wheelers travels the world and country, money all the time and he races RC and then you see all the time he puts in to his racing and you will see why. Even Cav he lives in So Cal Irvine and rent at a small apt cost me $1000 a mounth so there are a few that make money and I am glad because I like showing up at the track and it looking like a Sport with the factory tents and the factory drivers, it's just cool.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jwm2
Once you make a hobby your full time job the fun seems to get sucked out. No matter if its rc's, competitive gaming or anything you compete with and make money. The same can be said for professional bass fishermen. I love rc's and i love fishing, but i can't see doing it for a living. As much as i'd like to, i know once you cross that line, you can't go back. I wish you the best of luck, and i enjoy your posts and insight. You are a rare breed who can take the pressure and enjoy doing it
I know how that is. I raced pro suppercross/motorcross for a cpl years (I was single at the time I could not amagine doing it with a family at home) anyway spending all your time on the road I was a privateer so had to drive from race to race I dint have the extra funds to fly and have my bikes ransborted for me by the end of it all i was at the point I didn't even injoy riding anymore. Now 10 years later I might go out riding once or twice a year for fun. I can say this. Give props to Ryan and the ather factory drivers that go that extra step to help athers out and can still find fun in the hobbie that is now there job
Old 01-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tp
Thanks Monty! Yea i will be at cabin feaver...... Easy PK, i raced twice before worlds in the summer........ That was alot for me! Lol This year i plan on practicing as much as possible between work, i wanna see what will happen if i put some real time behind the wheel before nats. Only bad thing is i have'nt touched a raidio since worlds and can't till feb. Snow and no indoor tracks anywhere where i live.

Pk tell Cody he is my hero and cant wait to try and battle with the wc!

Tp
no prob lil buddy

wish you all the success TP , you are a good kid Taylor (well sometimes )
Old 01-10-2011, 02:10 AM
Tech Initiate

I have been reading all the comments posted by everyone on this thread and I appreciate RC is not the best paid industry in the world, even at the elite, however, having watched the following link, either this is VERY FALSE information or some people arent being honest about the potential money to be earned.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHpFPJrAL_0

Certainly makes for interesting watching
Old 01-10-2011, 02:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Wow. Drake total earnings were 12.3 million at the time, and if you look at his buggy, its a 1.0. I cant help but think these figures are exagerated though.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:51 AM
Tech Master

I personally think this thread may be giving some young kids the wrong idea. Sure a few people might be able to make a living playing with toy cars, but the chances of making it big and being able to support yourself into old age is going to be pretty rare!!! I mean really, whats going to happen after 10-15 years of getting paid to race? Then what?? Even if you get lucky and bring in 75K a year for half of those years, I highly doubt there is a young R/C racer that is putting that money away when he is in his 20's.

Do your self a favor kids... Go to college, get a degree, and get yourself a job that pays 100K or more for 30+ years. This way you can do any hobby you want, and not worry about which Wal-Mart is hiring cart collectors when your 40 and too old to earn a living racing. Heck we have professional athletes from football, baseball, and other sports that are broke and homeless these days and they made a lot more money in their prime than toy car racers are making.

I have seen some posts in here from some guys that do this for a living that do seem to have their heads on straight. I wish these guys all the luck in the world and hope everything works out for you guys in the long run!!! I have also seen and heard a few pro racers that obviously spent their childhood playing toy cars and not going to school.... I wish them luck as well!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by HyperDunley
I have been reading all the comments posted by everyone on this thread and I appreciate RC is not the best paid industry in the world, even at the elite, however, having watched the following link, either this is VERY FALSE information or some people arent being honest about the potential money to be earned.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHpFPJrAL_0

Certainly makes for interesting watching
Seeing as though this was one of the first times R/C was put on to television on the speed channel I believe I think they bumped up the numbers quite a bit to make it more 'acceptable' to the general viewing public. I'm sure if they put what we've really made they figured it would be laughed at instead of being taken credibly. JMHO

Originally Posted by SuperSmoove
Wow. Drake total earnings were 12.3 million at the time, and if you look at his buggy, its a 1.0. I cant help but think these figures are exagerated though.
As I stated above, it didn't come out of Drakes mouth, it was simply numbers put up by speed channel. If it is true then more power to him and dang i'm jealous! ;-)

Originally Posted by Chris Peralta
I personally think this thread may be giving some young kids the wrong idea. Sure a few people might be able to make a living playing with toy cars, but the chances of making it big and being able to support yourself into old age is going to be pretty rare!!! I mean really, whats going to happen after 10-15 years of getting paid to race? Then what?? Even if you get lucky and bring in 75K a year for half of those years, I highly doubt there is a young R/C racer that is putting that money away when he is in his 20's.

Do your self a favor kids... Go to college, get a degree, and get yourself a job that pays 100K or more for 30+ years. This way you can do any hobby you want, and not worry about which Wal-Mart is hiring cart collectors when your 40 and too old to earn a living racing. Heck we have professional athletes from football, baseball, and other sports that are broke and homeless these days and they made a lot more money in their prime than toy car racers are making.

I have seen some posts in here from some guys that do this for a living that do seem to have their heads on straight. I wish these guys all the luck in the world and hope everything works out for you guys in the long run!!! I have also seen and heard a few pro racers that obviously spent their childhood playing toy cars and not going to school.... I wish them luck as well!!!
As with any job people can squander away their earnings or they can save them for their future. As you say some people you can tell just are having fun now and have no clue what happens after R/C. Others whether it is realized or not have plans for the future or are preparing now even at such a young age! :-)
Old 01-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I like the guy whose career earnings was $400. He's raking it in

that's about $300 more than I have earned in my career.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Peralta
Many end up working in the business or starting up their own companies.

Joel Johnson, Kent Clausen, Cliff Lett, Masami, Kinwald and many others have good careers going outside of just driving.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

To all that worry about this issue....YOU ARE THE ONES WITH AN ISUUE...who cares who makes what and how much? The Pro's are pro's let it be.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RAlmeida
To all that worry about this issue....YOU ARE THE ONES WITH AN ISUUE...who cares who makes what and how much? The Pro's are pro's let it be.
I just want a couple of ounces of Tebo and Lutz talent.

What do you say guys, how much is that stuff an ounce?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I do not see that people's interest in what the pros are making is one of "I am going to make it rich by trying to do the same thing" type of situation. I see it that people just like to see how things work on the inside. HBO has Hard Knocks TV show where they show the inside working of an NFL team. People that are not able to play pro football for a living but have an interest in the sport get to see how things work. I believe people are not jealous of the RC Pros but rather because of a common interest just want to know how the whole being Pro works. Pros like Ryan who get on here and talk about what all goes on is a positive thing. I do not think people are trying to be intrusive but just really want to know a little about being Pro.

Just need to get a Cable network to follow an RC racer for a year....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.