Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JQ Build! Really Pic Heavy.. Sorry

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:21 AM

Default JQ Build! Really Pic Heavy.. Sorry

So here we go....

Once upon a time in a land far far away (well finland but its far enough) a man had a plan add to this ambition and we have a story...

+
=

Well now the theory is done lets start the build

The Beginnning.

So this was what i was greeted with when i came home some nice boxes with lots of excitement added mwuhahahahaha

Cue 1 x THE car, 1 x OS Speed, 2 x Savox Servos, 1 x Losi exhuast because im cheap and didnt want to speed £100 + on the Os pipe! wooo then think **** i forgot a switch and a receiver pack FFS!!

Unboxing was fun but i had a closer look at the lines of the shell its a marmite thing really you either love or hate it, i hate marmite but i do like this shell

Strangley after numerous builds i was expecting to build the diffs first well i was wrong, we start with the shocks,

All the bits laid out and ready for assembly.

A point of note normally with threaded shocks i have a dremel at the ready to mark them so i can keep count of the turns as i went to attack them i noticed the pre notch already there! Phew close call.

Laziness alert! why wait when you can er pump..

Et violla! All nice shiny and built *note* I dont like shock boots never have never will i consider them the anti christ.

Then it was the turn of the Diffs ah how i hate doing these things.

little thing i liked was the bag saying "front diff" yes easily pleased move on

standard affair really and the use of the black grease on the outdrives i love this stuff use it on any kit i build shame i cant eat it really.

lazziness alert! well i hate building the diffs and screwing them together it sucks so i went and bought a new screwdriver Mcginty 1 - Diffs 0

some frentic screwing later and BING!

Ah the gearboxes time along with the arms and stuff (THE car uses short arms in case you didnt know)

all parts laid out before screwing together

Now i always do this with all grub screws mainly to make sure the threadlock stays put and the parts do too

Oh so nearly there

Now the remainder of the front end nice shiny shock tower wont be like that for long, pre made roll bar link ahh the joy and some lube for the gears the oddonnel stuff turns to a wax like substance and makes it smoother than marlon brando.

The shafts

Nice little things with these alloy cnc knuckles and they dont have any play so when you stick it on a setup station that camber angle stays at 2 and doesnt change to 22!! *slight exageration*

The front end in its glory celebratory beer for me

Time for the rear..

Some nice detailing on the toe plate nice bit of bling for me..

grub screw again

Similar to a losi this bit the way the rear diff gear is reversed and the plastic insert which secures into the gearbox

so now me rear looks a little like this

THE WING IS BLING

i challenge someone to find a better looking wing i think its ace anyone who wants a closer look come and find me but dont steal it ill cry

hey my camera skills are crap as demonstrated by this photo

its meant to show the jq logo etched into the tower god im crap sorry JQ

quite possibly a nicer rear than mine??

ah i forgot something

The genious center diff

So this is a bit designed by jq and when building it you apreciate the effort and thought the brakes can be set so easily because they are on the outside and in line ( i love that it beats the rc8 design ) everything screws together nice and its claimed if done right its maintanence free for a season now that be good news.

The brakes are kin nice too they seem similar to the avids i used to have and they had some proper stopping power behind them endo for fun with them.

why have you taken a photo of this..

well because it has 3 points to change the ackerman, the adjusting nut is at the top where it bloody should be and i really like the c clip to stop it unwinding simple but sooo effective.

Mmmmmmmmm the chassis nice and milled and black too man will i cry when i find the rough rocks and rubble track side someone bring cleenex please.

its a bit narrow i think my "legs" wider hehe

Now whats so good about an oring i hear you say, well it should keep the gearbox watertight which is good normally i silicone around the gearbox when i slap it on the chassis no need now hurrah!

the front missing something dont know what though..

Ah thats it

Starting to look like THE car now cool[1]

Oooo dogbones aint they a tad old...

well yes but hang on they are lighter, need no maintanence cheaper and come on they are bloody gold what more do you want also it makes it easier when moving the center diff forwards or backwards got to love it

ITS really really looking like a car now

So far so good really like the simplicity of it so far

The radio tray where all those radio things go

couple of mins later

a few screws later

The radio tray needs some apreciation why well you can change a servo without removing it from the chassis i mean thats ace how many times have we all moaned at having to swap a servo i know i damn well have and my pitman will testify my moaning hahaha

Speeeeeeeeeeed and no its the drug sadly

Yum well it was a long thought process what engine to go for but it was the most reliable motor i used last season including an hr's running non stop at slough. The motor mounts are quick release too and included with the kit cest manifique!

It needs a clutch and im torn on either using the stock 3 shoe ones or the fioroni sliding clutch which ive always loved.

Mounted with the pipe and tray looks nice

Now that nice linkage i was on about see how its all inline and how easy it is to adjust

and now its done with the airfilter in place and everything else where it should be what more can i man ask

OH **** the shell hmmmm 2hrs later....

So there we go i havent explained everything in depth as JQ has done that already here and he does a better job than me..

http://jq-products.com/the-news

But my thoughts so far are happy ones its been a pleasant build and the plastics seem strong and good as do the other components havent had the chance to run it yet but that should change come 2 weeks when i venture out into the cold under instructions from Mr Webb (bastard) if anyone has any questions either post em or PM me and ill do my best to help/answer if i cant ill find out for you

whats next for me well......

If you see me trackside please pop over and say hello and feel free to have a peek i wont bite might dribble a bit if its cold but other than that all is good

Big thanks to

www.neobuggy.net for the photos
www.gbmodelsport.co.uk for the Team drive and supporting me
www.jq-products.com for THE car
www.m-k-racing.com for taking me on as a team driver for THE car

Next steps are to get mr Newton to do me a shell have a peek below for a look at his work

http://www.kifopaint.com/
Old 01-03-2011, 06:42 AM
Tech Regular

nice detailed build pics Brian.
must have added to the build time a fair bit with all that stopping & starting!

looks like it was all present & correct & went together with no issues

your camera seems to have a Banding issue thats more noticeable at the top of the pics, kinda makes them look like you took pics of a tv screen if you know what i mean? its not really a problem but it just makes them look a bit odd. it might even be from the resizing process?

nice Jim Jams btw
Old 01-03-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by supercross
nice detailed build pics Brian.
must have added to the build time a fair bit with all that stopping & starting!

looks like it was all present & correct & went together with no issues

your camera seems to have a Banding issue thats more noticeable at the top of the pics, kinda makes them look like you took pics of a tv screen if you know what i mean? its not really a problem but it just makes them look a bit odd. it might even be from the resizing process?

nice Jim Jams btw

My camera is crap hahahaha i need a new one but i lack the effort to go and get one

and too right my jim jams are epic if im honest i think the pics added a few hours to the build but i dont mind
Old 01-03-2011, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Nice pants!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

If you did it like in the picture:
http ://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/BrianMcginty/JQ/SSL23512.jpg

...than it is wrong
Old 01-03-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by ACE_79
If you did it like in the picture:
http ://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/BrianMcginty/JQ/SSL23512.jpg

...than it is wrong
Nope!

i think i know what your refering too the little black collar is already in place
Old 01-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Love this car!
Where did you get this vacuum pump of yours?
Old 01-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nice i didn't realize just how well thought out this is. Imo it looks like a better engineered or updated & upgraded losi 8ight, which imo isn't a bad thing. Can't wait to see one at the track, i might just have to buy one of these here in a few months. I love all the finishing touches. How long did the assembly take?
Old 01-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Austin Powers?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Tech Adept

Brian first the pink iphone cover then the jim jams you never dissapoint us bud.

Great presentation & hope to meet up soon buddy.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

I like THE THREAD about THE CAR build!!
Old 01-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

pocs were goo captions were even better! Priceless
Old 01-03-2011, 04:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
pocs were goo captions were even better! Priceless
+1... A good fit for The CAR!

Thanks for putting this together. It takes a lot of patience to take this many pics, but I for one appreciate it (especially as I drool waiting for chassis #96 to come...)

AWESOME!
Old 01-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ron Goetter
I like THE THREAD about THE CAR build!!
I just need THE SHOP so I can order THE CAR!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Wow great build and great pics! Keep us posted on how it runs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.