R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannarace View Post
I loosened it up a bit...but let me loosen it up some more.
its hard to work out the exact problem without seeing your starter box, but to prep your engine when new for starting , ok , disconnect your fuel line,take your glow plug out and bump it on the starter box preheated to 180/200 just to get rid of any unburnt fuel etc, put plug back,I then would normally put some miracle engine oil or if you cant get that some after run oil just to get some lube in the engine not to much just a few drops down the glow plug hole, ok then preheat again to at least 180/200 again
be sure your flywheel turns freely thats at bdc thats where you want to be at this point. connect up your fuel and give it a few bumps to get some fuel in, then put your igniter on and you should get it to fire, run a hi idle so it dosent stall and then follow the run in guide in engine forum to run in your new +4
goodluck
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to kaptain crash

Quote:
I loosened it up a bit...but let me loosen it up some more.
Had the same problem with a Go motor....try taking out the plug heat the motor up to aleast 210 turn it over like that but keep that motor warm and make sure your getting pleanty of fuel .....yeah its messy, but should loosen the pinch a little.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I'm heading to West Coast RC right now. If you want to bring your car there, I'll get it fired up for you.
where is that???
wannarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

And...remember that it's a fine line with the chrome top. This is a big direct drive motor that relies on speed more than torque.

Slapping the flywheel down hard on the wheel won't work with a new tight pinch motor....find that sweet spot. Feel it slipping and beginning to smoke...gentle bumps now, getting a feel for when it wants to go. Won't go? Back to BDC and try again. Practice with the plug out, but as kaptain crash stated...keep the gun on it and the fuel flowing.

It's a touch thing....you'll get get it.
cordarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Head over to Revelations Raceway in Montclair and dana will give u a hand he is great over there
EVILDUECES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #21
Tech Elite

1. put a little fuel down the plug hole to make sure the piston is wet.

2. Keep the plug in. Loose plug will only bleed off compression, not mechanical pinch. The pinch is your problem any decent box can defeat the tiny bit of compression these little two strokes have.

3. Heat that engine with a heat gun. 180-200. Use a harbor freight cheapo heat gun. hobby heatguns are fragile and lame. Especially hobbico and tower.

Houston has some nice heaters. But i've never used one for break in.

4. Put a 4cell 4500mah Turnigy Lipo in that starter box. Don't use a weak gell cell.

5. make sure the pistonis at BDC, and nice and free before you bump it. That way it has a head start and some momentum before hitting that pinch.

6. Get an OS. LOLz.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
1. put a little fuel down the plug hole to make sure the piston is wet.

2. Keep the plug in. Loose plug will only bleed off compression, not mechanical pinch. The pinch is your problem any decent box can defeat the tiny bit of compression these little two strokes have.

3. Heat that engine with a heat gun. 180-200. Use a harbor freight cheapo heat gun. hobby heatguns are fragile and lame. Especially hobbico and tower.

Houston has some nice heaters. But i've never used one for break in.

4. Put a 4cell 4500mah Turnigy Lipo in that starter box. Don't use a weak gell cell.

5. make sure the pistonis at BDC, and nice and free before you bump it. That way it has a head start and some momentum before hitting that pinch.

6. Get an OS. LOLz.
Ok...so I finally got her to turn over, takes a few gentle bumps but I can finally hear that distinct spin that means its turning over...NOW I cant get her to fire up...I guessing maybe I foweled up the plug? If so how can I tell without having to get another???
Old 12-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Ok...so I finally got her to turn over, takes a few gentle bumps but I can finally hear that distinct spin that means its turning over...NOW I cant get her to fire up...I guessing maybe I foweled up the plug? If so how can I tell without having to get another???

I use a adjustable Lipo glow driver. An adjustable high power driver is a must for new engines. A airplane power panel and a 12v battery can be rigged up on the cheap. Adjust it up until the plug is white hot and bright enough to leave sun spots on your retinas. But don't poof the plug.

The single cell glow drivers never work for me with a brand new turboplug engine.

I'm building my own with a small dvr, wired igniter, 2 cell lipo, and a box.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMUV2&P=0

Last edited by Zerodefect; 12-27-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Take the glowplug out and try it in your ignitor, to
see if the coil in it will glow hot. If it lights up it should be o.k..
rageworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If your using the blue OFNA truggy starter box that should have no problem turning over even new motors as long as the motor is preheated.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #26
Tech Adept

So it seems as if my glow plug ignitor was not charged enough...its sitting on the charger as we speak until tomorrow when I reattempt all this...out of curiosity anyone out there with a Eight 2.0 Truggy using an OFNA box that can send me a pic of where there guide rails are setup like??? mine is set up to were I can't have room to fit the front drivers side peg on...does this sound right???
Old 12-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i didnt bother to read every post in detail, but do your self a favor, and take the motor out, and check the alignment of the box on your chassis, and make sure the wheel doesn't hit the chassis. it will smoke that wheel instantly and make you think the bump wheel is stalling on the flywheel.
builtb16a is offline   Reply With Quote