Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
AKA Gridiron Truggy Tires >

AKA Gridiron Truggy Tires

AKA Gridiron Truggy Tires

Old 12-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Tech Champion

Do the Megabites come in harder compounds? I don't like tires that get too soft on hot tracks. The knobs just fold over.

My Soft Gridirons are useless when it's 85+ and sunny. The Mediums seem to hook up better then, unless the track is dust free.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:24 PM
dsl
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pitpop
super soft is more like m4, soft is like m3 I think... for the truggy you will rarely if ever use medium, only if the track was dry and really grooved up
What about soft vs super soft? Our track is med/hard packed, some parts with a little clay. Its usually run very damp, creating a sticky dirt that clings to your soles! It does not form a blue groove. When it dries up it gets a little slippery...any thoughts on compound?

Last edited by dsl; 12-28-2010 at 06:53 AM. Reason: info
Old 12-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Tech Champion

SS Gridirons are for indoor clay when track temp is 60. I wouldn't use them on a tracks that's outdoors, hardpacked, dusty, and hot. They wouldn't last long.

And in your wet sticky conditions anything should work. So I wouldn't waste the grids on that if I have Ibeams on hand.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dsl
What about soft vs super soft? Our track is med/hard packed, some parts with a little clay. Its usually run very damp, creating a sticky dirt that clings to your soles! It does not form a blue groove. When it dries up it gets a little slippery...any thoughts on compound?
I cant agree with Zerodefect on this. I have ran SS gridirons on an outdoor track with no issues, and not much wear. To be honest, any time the temp is below 70, i reach for Super Soft. I let the track decided what tread pattern i will run, but temp will determine what compound.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:40 PM
dsl
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and ordered the SS gridirons (I ordered before the latest feedback!). At our track the go-to-tire has been the M3 calibers, but I'm trying to find that extra edge. Tire wear doesn't seem to be an issue at our track so I'm hoping the SS will last!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dsl
Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and ordered the SS gridirons (I ordered before the latest feedback!). At our track the go-to-tire has been the M3 calibers, but I'm trying to find that extra edge. Tire wear doesn't seem to be an issue at our track so I'm hoping the SS will last!
They should last well. Be ready for your truggy to rotate a quicker as they have less side bite, but they will fell very consistent. Actually, you will feel slower, but your lap times normally are faster.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by dsl
AKA Gridirons it is. When do you use super soft vs soft? Is AKA super soft like proline m3?
Super soft for track temp 75*F or less.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I blew throu a set of SS grid irons in 25 mins on an indoor blue-black groove clay track. I'm going back to soft.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ill take a set of Raptor's over a set of grid's or Holes ANY day.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
I blew throu a set of SS grid irons in 25 mins on an indoor blue-black groove clay track. I'm going back to soft.
That's Speed XZ power for you!