R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-26-2010, 04:53 AM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleggasaurus View Post
Hi Guy's

What would be peoples thoughts on at practise running bigger sized carby inserts to make your car have heaps of grunt to practise power control but then when you come back to race days dropping the venturi back smaller so you don't panic in traffic and your car seems alot more driveable????

Cheers

Just earn how to drive it the way you race it. Learn how not to panic, as well.

When I'm on the stand, I'm usually thinking about things such as: Beef stew, my cats, rationalism vs. empiricism, the fallibility of religion, the state of society, etc.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:03 AM   #47
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
do you guys thing racing pan car or touring car helps in the off season?
Definitely. Smooths out my driving, speeds up my reactions, driving everyweek. You have to be on the right lines for TC, you cant drive round the outside on turns, the laps are shorter and these excursions screw your laptimes up big time.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:31 AM   #48
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Have confidence in your equipment and then practice practice practice. I always fo better if I practice the day before or a few days before. Try new things on your setup. Recently I tried 5-5-5 diff oil in my Losi buggy and imloved it on a dusty blown out track. Also take a look at the car that just got the tq what tires is he running. I think tries are the biggest tuning device there is.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:59 AM   #49
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRC8racer View Post
Im really looking to step up my game for the 2011 racing season in 1/8 offroad. What do you recommend in improving one's lap times on the track?

Is it understanding car/truck setups more? And able to adjust your car/truck to track conditions.

Equipment i.e Radio system, tyres, car brands?

Or is it practice?

Last year I did not do alot of practice just ran a race prolly once a month either a local race or a RC Pro Series event. I would like to get in practice at least once a week to get me where I want to be in the Open class. What is some of your practice schedules in being really competitive in a Open class, once a week, twice a week, every other week etc..etc...
Thanks
As some of the other guys have said, practice as much as you possibly can but make sure its constructive and work on certain areas one at a time, don't just go round in circles and time every lap. If your local track allows it, take a buddy along and work on your pit-stops. Know your car inside out, so identifying any problems or set-up issues can be sorted/tweaked for a positive instead of negative result quickly.

Choice of tyre and in particular, suspension set-up, is a vital and often overlooked area for a lot of drivers. Get this bang on and you'll be making a few tenths here and there on track, while others are slamming out on jumps and grip searching on every apex.

Source information and learn from what the faster guys are doing but, and I cannot stress this enough, do not try and copy what they are doing exactly because Johnny dirtblaster will drive a car a lot quicker and a whole different than you do. So what works great for him, wont do so for you. This can also be applied to set-up etc. Consider all you learn as information to use for your benefit but how it suits your style of driving and prefered set-up choices.

If your gonna go racing, then go racing. Dont just bugger about and think you're gonna get quicker, because you wont. If you're serious, then be serious about your business when you get to the track. Arrive with the intention of achieving what you want to, but be realistic in your goals. Biting off more than you can chew will lead to over extending your driving ability too soon, which in turn will lead to frustration, too many crashes and going a whole lot slower than you should be.
So be serious about what you're doing for sure but always, always keep it fun, stay relaxed and accept that there will always be someone faster and disappointment is part and parcel of racing.

And lastly, which no-one else has mentioned. Speed is a question of money and the faster you want to go, the more it's gonna cost.
So your quest to get faster will include all of the above and all the other good posts the other guys have put up.
But if you've been use to just going out once a week and then you essentially double, triple or even more than times that a week, plus racing most if not every weekend, all of a sudden you are using more fuel, tyre wear goes through the roof, parts get broken, motors need more love to keep them 100%, your spares box will need to be a lot more comprehensive, etc etc. All because you want to go quicker.
The only trade off being, if you do indeed get faster and in doing so start to pick up a few wins here and there, you maybe lucky enough to get some sponsorship which certainly helps with racing budget. Just be prepared to put the hard work and investment in, in the first place.

That's my two cents worth
ct#67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #50
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Im sure most of you agree is to practice with the buggy alot more than the truggy since the buggy takes more driving skills correct...
Old 12-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #51
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRC8racer View Post
Im really looking to step up my game for the 2011 racing season in 1/8 offroad. What do you recommend in improving one's lap times on the track?

Is it understanding car/truck setups more? And able to adjust your car/truck to track conditions.

Equipment i.e Radio system, tyres, car brands?

Or is it practice?

Last year I did not do alot of practice just ran a race prolly once a month either a local race or a RC Pro Series event. I would like to get in practice at least once a week to get me where I want to be in the Open class. What is some of your practice schedules in being really competitive in a Open class, once a week, twice a week, every other week etc..etc...
Thanks
A good base setup is better than copying a pros mate!!

On my RC8b I ran 5,5,5 diffs and 40w f and 35w r with kit geometry
and on the T 7,7,7 diffs and 45wf and 40r kit geometry

nice and safe to drive and just learn the car in a base setup, dont crash and be consistant. The lap times will follow trust me!!

and BTW I always find the pro setups too twitchy for us mortals!!
steelie600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #52
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Play about with shocks!!!! Oils, pistons, rebound etc etc etc.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #53
Tech Addict

First off: Practice, practice, practice!

Next:
Tires are the car's connection to the ground, so you must find the right tire for the track.
And when most people ignore, is that your radio is YOUR connection to the car, so the radio is important. I improved a lot by switching out my Futaba 3PK for a Sanwa M11x.
The radio-settings are also very important (exponential steering and such). A good rule of thumb, is to use your age as your exponential steering setting. I am 19 years old, and I find around 15-20% steering expo to be the best for me. And looking at the other drivers at my track (onroad in these winter-times), it is a pretty good rule of thumb.

I would suggest you to race onroad also, as onroad does give you some good habits. You will be a smoother driver if you also race onroad, and that will benefit you in offroad aswell!
If you cannot race onroad, 1:10 electric offroad will do. But it has to be on a "small" track designed for 1:10. You won't get a lot out of it, if you race 1:10 electric on your 1:8 nitro track.

Setup isn't important before you do the stuff I mentioned above. Ofc the "big stuff" like diff and shocks need to be right (or atleast close), but all the other details aren't that important.
Nilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #54
Tech Addict

Double post... Delete this.
Nilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #55
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelie600 View Post
A good base setup is better than copying a pros mate!!

On my RC8b I ran 5,5,5 diffs and 40w f and 35w r with kit geometry
and on the T 7,7,7 diffs and 45wf and 40r kit geometry

nice and safe to drive and just learn the car in a base setup, dont crash and be consistant. The lap times will follow trust me!!

and BTW I always find the pro setups too twitchy for us mortals!!
Yes, one of the best advises in here, one awesome setup (pro set up) is someones nightmare, you have to set up the car for your driving.
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #56
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

I can see a problem when being advised to set up the car to your own driving preference,but a new driver would have no idea what has changed when playing with these settings.

A new driver is taking all their time just trying to keeping it on all 4 wheels,a more experienced driver may experiment but not a new car and 2 hours of track time learner,plus everyone has their own time line for improvement.

So what did I learn.
Most say try drakes settings for losi,so I did.
It was a little easier to drive but as for changing settings after that I had no idea.
The only thing I can do now is laps and more laps and learn the art of control.
RustyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:09 PM   #57
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semple View Post
Just earn how to drive it the way you race it. Learn how not to panic, as well.

When I'm on the stand, I'm usually thinking about things such as: Beef stew, my cats, rationalism vs. empiricism, the fallibility of religion, the state of society, etc.
After thinking about all that, racing should seem easy.......
offroad dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #58
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

The best way to improve lap time is ...

Set your vehicle to its stock setup. It is usually more forgiving
Try to run slower in the more difficult track sections to avoid crashing
Don't try to over jump and keep your driving simple.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default First rule in racing

You can't buy a Win, get out to the track and run your car....
Old 12-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #60
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilks View Post
First off: Practice, practice, practice!

Next:
Tires are the car's connection to the ground, so you must find the right tire for the track.
And when most people ignore, is that your radio is YOUR connection to the car, so the radio is important. I improved a lot by switching out my Futaba 3PK for a Sanwa M11x.
The radio-settings are also very important (exponential steering and such). A good rule of thumb, is to use your age as your exponential steering setting. I am 19 years old, and I find around 15-20% steering expo to be the best for me. And looking at the other drivers at my track (onroad in these winter-times), it is a pretty good rule of thumb.

I would suggest you to race onroad also, as onroad does give you some good habits. You will be a smoother driver if you also race onroad, and that will benefit you in offroad aswell!
If you cannot race onroad, 1:10 electric offroad will do. But it has to be on a "small" track designed for 1:10. You won't get a lot out of it, if you race 1:10 electric on your 1:8 nitro track.

Setup isn't important before you do the stuff I mentioned above. Ofc the "big stuff" like diff and shocks need to be right (or atleast close), but all the other details aren't that important.

). A good rule of thumb, is to use your age as your exponential steering setting. I am 19 years old, and I find around 15-20% steering expo to be the best for .................................................. .................................................. ..................This has to be the funniest thing I have ever seen on rc tech. Your age for steering expo??? Lord How do you turn???????
Chris Totcky@facebook.com
Tha Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote