R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #31
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

all the above is very good advice ! especially about slow being fast, and to prove that point i would like to share a story...

at the local outdoor track,normal conditions being a little tacky in heats and drying out as the night goes on. my usual laptimes are high 28's to low 29's. with the track record somewhere close to 26.5(quad racer). as the season drew to a close the track became unbelievably muddy. so much so that i was picking up 3-4 lbs of the goo after each run. yet my lap times were mid 27's to low 28's with my best lap time coming at a 26.91. i have to believe that all the extra weight was forcing me to drive without the ability to overpower the car.
yet even in knowing this i still can't wait to get my clocked b6...... and most likely watch my lap times go back up .......oh well

insanity takes it's toll...please have exact change
bpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Make sure that when you're practicing, you're not just driving your car around the track. You have to be constantly trying to fix what you're doing wrong. If 'practice' is done incorrectly, you'll just solidify your incorrect technique as habit. You need to be cutting your lines tighter, reducing the inefficiency of wheel-spin, down-siding jumps, etc.

I see tons of guys at the local track who go to every practice and just drive their cars around. That's superb if you don't intend on getting faster and you're just out to have fun. You HAVE to analyze the philosophy of driving the track if you want to get faster. Actually put time and thought toward theory. Track time helps, but only if you're using your head.

I went from C-Mains to A-Mains in less than a year doing this.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:07 PM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

My advise is practice of course, but I think most need to get rid of the engines they are running. 99% of our cars have to much power and cause to much wheel spin leading to loose conditions and trying to jump every jump they see wide open. I would say most people dont lose races on the straight away. So yes most should run the 140.00 nova 3 port and I bet most would turn faster lap times because it would be more controlable
Old 12-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

So what is most of your practice schedule's?

I have an indoor offroad 1/8 nitro track local then I also have a 1/8 outdoor track locally...Its more convienent for me to practice in the indoor because its a little closer but I know how important it is to get outdoor practice as well.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #35
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semple View Post
Make sure that when you're practicing, you're not just driving your car around the track. You have to be constantly trying to fix what you're doing wrong. If 'practice' is done incorrectly, you'll just solidify your incorrect technique as habit. You need to be cutting your lines tighter, reducing the inefficiency of wheel-spin, down-siding jumps, etc.

I see tons of guys at the local track who go to every practice and just drive their cars around. That's superb if you don't intend on getting faster and you're just out to have fun. You HAVE to analyze the philosophy of driving the track if you want to get faster. Actually put time and thought toward theory. Track time helps, but only if you're using your head.

I went from C-Mains to A-Mains in less than a year doing this.
Having read most of the comments on this thread, this is imho the best one to take advice from.
Spot on!!
Also either track to practice that has faster guys on it. Ask them questions, and get them to watch you cut a few laps, come in and ask them, what you could do better. Take that advice and use it on the next couple of tanks of fuel. Then ask again.
Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #36
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

do you guys thing racing pan car or touring car helps in the off season?
Dnano
fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #37
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The only other thing I race is 2wd SC which I know helps because those things gotta have throttle control for sure!!
Old 12-25-2010, 03:37 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Practice, Ride pipes, set-ups, slow, and dont get worked up by people.
Also driving 2wd and racing on dry tracks teach you real good and most deny this but small tracks will teach you to. Why? Because throttle control and knowing where you can control the vehicle is very important.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:33 PM   #39
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRC8racer View Post
Im really looking to step up my game for the 2011 racing season in 1/8 offroad. What do you recommend in improving one's lap times on the track?

Is it understanding car/truck setups more? And able to adjust your car/truck to track conditions.

Equipment i.e Radio system, tyres, car brands?

Or is it practice?

Last year I did not do alot of practice just ran a race prolly once a month either a local race or a RC Pro Series event. I would like to get in practice at least once a week to get me where I want to be in the Open class. What is some of your practice schedules in being really competitive in a Open class, once a week, twice a week, every other week etc..etc...
Thanks
mentioned before but the best advice still....

Rule #1 dont crash, above and beyond this will help you more than anything

Practice as much as possible, and make good use of practice. Dont go and run tanks just to run tanks. Do it on the clock and make little changes and compare the "feel" and lap times to find the best comprimise.

So many people practice, but just screw around. Get the timing system going and be a scientist about practice and adjustments and you'll fly past guys you've never beat in no time. Focus on your goal, if you want to win you've got to put in the work. Once a week wont cut it, at least around here the fast guys are at the track 3-5 nights per week counting club nights
Old 12-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #40
Tech Apprentice

Follow the fastest guy you know. try to keep up and figure out where he is making time on you. Sit on the side and wait for the fast guy to go buy, do it again. If you can figure out where to make up time you will get faster.

Another thing is go to some bigger races, racing with faster people will make you faster.
Inxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #41
Tech Master

corner speed
pitpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #42
Tech Adept

watch and observe the fast guys how they attack the track.
apex, cornering speed, breaking points,even listening how they contol their thottle.
then, give it a try. pay attention to the track and the hadling of your car.
it is where the setup of your car comes in!!!

if you already got the right setup of your car with the right tires

practice, it will give you a lot of confidence with your car

then you can push it little by little until you will realize you are faster than you expected.

BUT, AT THE TIME YOU NOTICED THAT YOU ARE FAST ENOUGH TO BEAT SOME RACERS. DONT SLOW DOWN. KEEP PUSHING.
ANAKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
do you guys thing racing pan car or touring car helps in the off season?
Yes, 1/12th scale carpet in the winter would help a ton.

1/8th scale will feel like slow motion after a season of 1/12th.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #44
Tech Regular

For me it was practice, pratice, practice and more practice and it took geting that slow is fast in my head that realy helped, on the day it finaly got drilled in i went from trying to go the fastest i couldand getting average lap times to trying to be smooth and flowing shaved 1.5-2 sec a lap of my lap times.
NCS Custom Paint Works
Nick411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:29 AM   #45
Tech Adept

Hi Guy's

What would be peoples thoughts on at practise running bigger sized carby inserts to make your car have heaps of grunt to practise power control but then when you come back to race days dropping the venturi back smaller so you don't panic in traffic and your car seems alot more driveable????

Cheers
fleggasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote