R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Losi 810 1/8 Buggy (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/464099-losi-810-1-8-buggy.html)

Reckless Aim 12-23-2010 02:38 AM

Losi 810 1/8 Buggy

Is this a buggy worth buying. I'm hearing that it's not really an 1/8 scale. I'm also wondering if you can put a .21 engine in it? Has anyone heard anything about it? Or used it personally. Would this be a good buggy to race?

romax 12-23-2010 06:22 AM

There is a test on it in the new extreme rc cars magazine .

token 12-23-2010 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Reckless Aim (Post 8380893)
Is this a buggy worth buying. I'm hearing that it's not really an 1/8 scale. I'm also wondering if you can put a .21 engine in it? Has anyone heard anything about it? Or used it personally. Would this be a good buggy to race?

It is strictly a entry level 1/8 buggy. From what I heard, its not bad at all. I heard its excellent to learn how to drive consistently. Parts are alittle cheaper which in return makes owning one and racing, more affordable. AND THERE IS PLENTY OF SUPPORT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxqwcRvZdEE

airboy808 12-23-2010 08:16 AM

It is also way lighter than a standard 1/8th buggy. Out of the box the 810 is a little under 6lbs. Versus a typical 8th scale buggy is at least 7lbs. So not sure where you race will be happy with that. Something to check out or don't say a word :)

jwm2 12-23-2010 09:17 AM

I wouldn't say parts are cheaper. Maybe at your LHS, but on ebay 8ight parts are 1/2 the price of retail. If you plan to race at all do yourself a favor and get the 8ight race roller, not an entry level basher.

bigred0988 12-23-2010 10:14 AM

*edit*
ignore this, i accidently did a double post

bigred0988 12-23-2010 10:15 AM

from seeing it in person, and seeing it being drivin, and actually driving one. they handle pretty good, turn alot better then the full size 1/8 buggy because it has 1 inch less of wheel base. but the whole car is scaled down, all the suspension arms are a little weakerbecause there is less material on them, i was/would be worried about break drivetrain parts because the rotating mass is the same as the 8ight 2.0 but the drive axles are a smaller diameter so there will a greater shearing force on the arms. the small block motor it has honestly suprised the heck out of me, that this had PLENTY of bottom end for the car, and the top was immacutlent, it was hanging with all the best motors.

i hope my respose gave you some insight on what you wanted to know
-Brandon-

Edumakated 12-23-2010 10:28 AM

I converted mine to eletric an ultra lightweight electric 1/8 for the indoor season. Here is the thread. It drives really well - dare I say better than a regular sized 1/8. Love mine.

When I am done with it, my car will be only about 6.25lbs or around 2600-2700 grams. Much longer run times than regular electric buggies due to the lightweight.

It is holding up well. It isn't quite as durable as a typical 8ight, but it is durable enough to get the job done. Probably more durable than some full size 1/8 cars imho.

Losi has some upgrades coming out for it. Basically all the hopups to make it a mini 8ight.

mdwalsh 01-17-2011 03:24 PM

i have one.. ran about a gallon through it. its pretty awesome.

mods thus far are pretty limited- a better steering servo, an M2C three Shoe Clutch, some mud guards, and a 5-5-3 diff set-up. it has every bit of speed through the twisty and flying bits at mikes hobby shop in houston. and really doesnt loose much if anything on the other 1/8th scales on track. really a couple of well placed mods and some tuning and i have no doubt that it will be competitive in the local tracks! for the moment the car is WAY faster than im able to drive it!

Matt

ecko' 01-18-2011 06:10 AM

wondering if you can put a .21 engine in it?
can u do something to get rid of the pull start?

Ruune 01-18-2011 07:05 AM

I've been toying with the idea of putting a modded .20 smallblock in one of these. After looking at the car, it seems pretty legit and very, very light.

mdwalsh 01-19-2011 06:58 PM

.21 is a no go.... its simply too tight. as for the pull start yes you can, there are spacers that have to be removed from between the engine and mount, however you have to either dremel the back plate down or get the 3.4 back plate.... i went the dremel route, and it works great!

Matt

Neesh 03-01-2011 08:20 PM

anybody tried to replace the stock motor with an .18tz? I'm trying right now with the M2C clutch but the SG shaft on the two motors are different. I can prob make it fit but was wondering if someone had encounterd the same problem.