Wiki Posts
Search

When do we stop..

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nesal
I have about 4 or 5 sets of completely bald tires and would love to reuse the foams and tires but have always had an incredibly hard time getting the tires off the rims. Is there a decent method out there?
like posted above, cut the tire down the center pop the foam out and then soak the rubber and wheel in acetone over night... they will fall off the tire.

i have boiled and baked.. and its a pain, this way is the cats a$$
Old 12-21-2010, 08:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Seems to me in any type of racing I have experienced the $$ and Racing do not exist without one another. I do hate paying that too, but its all part of the fun! Finding a tire that hooks up and Lasts a long time is the challenge
Old 12-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

99% of the costs are justified to me. but tires just seem crazy. they are very important and i just figure they are high cause we either buy them or have crappy traction lol. so we really dont have a choice. but im going to have to bite the bullet once so i end up with a nice set of wheels and foams. then its unmounted and re using from then on out. the JC wheels i have now are shot pretty much. i can see the wobble down the straight lol
Old 12-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Tech Adept

Ok I'm going to see where I can find the acetone! What is the jc bogo sale?? Thanks!!
Old 12-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hobbycity did wonders for the lipo market to bring prices down. Now we just need the same thing with tires.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Ok I'm going to see where I can find the acetone! What is the jc bogo sale?? Thanks!!
Buy one, get one. Great if you got foams and wheels.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

I think im going to look into the vp pro tires soon. Premounts are 29. But said to last a good while.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks I was just on their site and am interested in getting a couple pairs, I have aka tires and foams,what tires do I need the low profile (3.7") or the others(3.25")?? Thanks!!
Old 12-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigAlz
I think im going to look into the vp pro tires soon. Premounts are 29. But said to last a good while.
BigAlz, like someone said in a earler post, track surface in conjunction with tire compound plays a big roll in tire wear. Most of the tracks in my region have a damp, dirt/clay mix. I ran two sets of Panther Raptors (Soft) on my truggy all summer. I went to 11 races last year and I'm going to use the tires again for the first few races in 2011.

Hey, maybe you can use it as motivation to get good at driving and possibly secure a tire sponsor.

Good luck! Ebay is your best bet for cheap tire deals.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I too run on the same tracks as Torian, and both me and my son only used two sets each on our truggies and plan on using them into the new year.. I would have to say my son and I are the middle of the pack racers which to me means we don't do as good as a job for traction control as like drivers like torian does. But I did let some of the top guys in our area drive my top truck many races and used the same set of tires all season..I think tire life also has something to do with what tires you have on your truck when you test/tune or simply play with your trucks between race weeks. Mine never touch pavement. My race tires are for that only, and come off any other use. the right tire compound/track surface deffinatly makes or break you..We run soft and or supersofts all year..
Old 12-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah. I don't do anything with my stuff besides race and practice at the track. Those days its def. Dry and dusty. But I try not to use good tires as much.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

good thing you guys don't race in Florida.......think your tire bill is big now come to a race here at one of our good tracks and get back to me.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

One of the reasons I have a buggy, and also why I mostly bash or race for fun. Run badlands and they last for a long time
Old 12-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by punkracer24
good thing you guys don't race in Florida.......think your tire bill is big now come to a race here at one of our good tracks and get back to me.

i know what you mean ive seen quite a few tracks in florida that have super tacky dirt .

in my homestate i stay away from them kind of tracks if i have a choice which i do.

thats some $$$ for tires on them kind of tracks.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hi!
I too hate the fact of spending 70$ on a set of wheels + tires, right now I have about 4 or 5 sets of completely bald tires and would love to reuse the foams and tires but have always had an incredibly hard time getting the tires off the rims. Is there a decent method out there? Ive always boiled them in water and have a pretty hard time getting them off, do you know of a better way?
Do you know if hotbodies tires would work with AKA rims and foams?
Thanks!
Acetone method is what you want, Ive tried them all and baking is my least favorite along with boiling as they are both tedious processes compared to acetone where you "set it and forget it" Come back a day later and the tires are off with no fuss.

Aka's will work with HB tires but the truggy foams are a little too wide and need trimming.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.