R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-22-2010, 07:21 AM   #91
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AlanHall Send a message via Yahoo to AlanHall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovaloldtimer View Post
lol tire bill? come play with us where there 470.00 a set and you have to buy 6 sets a year to run up front at most big races.
Speed cost money, how fast you want to go?
Why does everyone resort to these type of replys? Because other hobbies cost alot more don't justify stupid cost in this one. Just sayin... besides. I think this post has turned to a better subject. How to save a buck.. and from what I see is bite the bullet once so ya got some nice wheels and foams and just buy rubber from then on out
Old 12-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #92
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

LOL. Not sure.

The cost of truggy tires drove away everyone with a truggy at our local track. We used to have truggy entries that were close to buggy entries. Then through one summer they started disappearing. when asked why some of them said they weren't gonna pay for tires to be able to compete. Oh well, no more truggy buyers.

It sucks cause the few of us with truggies can only race them once a month at the big races.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #93
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Read the entire thread,

Some very good points. It is what it is I guess. Seems to me that every time you put racing with anything the cost automatically goes up double or triple. What really sucks is when you "have to buy the new hot tire" just to stay with the pack. It usually happens right at the time where you weren't planning on getting new tires mid season. Funny how that works. Anyway, I usually run a harder tire compound than most people I know. Mainly because I want my tires to last as long as I can get them to. For "club" racing, I would say that is what many do and it makes sence. Step up to a big event and the tire cost to have the fast tire for one run each time out is huge. Most racers can't even do that, which limits them on the track. Very hard to compete when fast guys have a fresh new set every run.

Then again if you do find yourself at a big event, you could always try and talk to some of the "Pro's" that may be there and see if you can use a set of their one run tires. Might be faster than anything you brought. I know because I had to do just that. Didn't get a win, but had a much better result that I would have.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #94
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlz View Post
i dunno. id imagine if they have the budget to own a dragster then its probly not a big deal for them but just because another hobby has a crazy expense , i dont think that justifies other hobbys to have silly expenses to?

so using the "right compound for the correct application" how many days of racing can you get from a set of truggy tires untill you feel the performance changes..
not saying tires are cheap but you kinda answered your own question(tires are set @ that price if you have the budget to race then you have the budget to get tires(also only certain tires are one runners(mostly holeshots) but calibers,cityblocks,etc. last more than 1 race day. I had a set of buggy calibers that didn't loose traction until maybe 5 or so race days on them
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #95
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
LOL. Not sure.

The cost of truggy tires drove away everyone with a truggy at our local track. We used to have truggy entries that were close to buggy entries. Then through one summer they started disappearing. when asked why some of them said they weren't gonna pay for tires to be able to compete. Oh well, no more truggy buyers.

It sucks cause the few of us with truggies can only race them once a month at the big races.

dam really its going strong in the northeast with truggy more than buggys at least a two tracks i know of.

so it doest look like the price for truggy tires made people stop doing truggy.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:13 PM   #96
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

The only vehicle that doesn't cost me a lot of money for tires is my scaler truck. I can drive it more than 200 packs before I need new tires! LOL

To save a little cash on long term, you can buy the 17mm Maximizer wheels for truggy.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #97
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

im not that fast with my truggy, if i recall im about the middle of the pack. It was my first year club racing, i run tires that have some wear on them and some that are new, hard compound (so they last long lol).. did not make that much of a change for me... if i stay off the pipes and on the wheels i do ok in the race.

but again im no pro.
Dnano
fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #98
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've got a set of calipers for truggy that just won't die. I have like 4 or 5 races on them and they still haven't worn the first pin off. I already have a new set that i tried one qualifier but didn't feel any different than the old ones so i put those back on. Been happy with them so far. Just depends on the track conditions on whether they are going to wear fast or not. Caliper has been a great tire all around on truggy. I plan on trying some hole shots and see if i run better with them after the new year if the track warrants them.
Spektrum
Proline/J Concepts/AKA
bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:11 PM   #99
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AlanHall Send a message via Yahoo to AlanHall

Bacchus what you think about that new years race in watson
Old 12-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #100
Tech Apprentice

i got through whole season with one set of tires? just keep on testing the trying different ones
Nitro-X Fuel
fattyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #101
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I know a couple guys said they run mediums all year long. I too run AKA medium Ibeams, cityblock, and just recently on our indoor (packed & pretty tacky)track, medium gridirons. The mediums really do last a lot longer and at our club level series races I really cant tell a difference. A buddy of mine ran the clearance Hard Cityblocks from Amaine and did great with them in the summer time on a dusty packed surface. To keep cost down though it is a must to re-use wheels and foams, and also always be searching for the good deals on tires if you have time. I have never paid full price yet on truggy tires. Like I said just always be looking for the deals and it will be affordable.

Henchman racing
DX4R
steve307b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #102
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlz View Post
Bacchus what you think about that new years race in watson
I'm not sure if i'm tied up yet or not. Probably be next week before i know if i can make it or not.
Spektrum
Proline/J Concepts/AKA
bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #103
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I went into the hobby shop to get a transponder and a servo and spent $30 more than the guy in front of me in line that got a RTF 3D HELI W/2.4 radio battery and charger but in this hobby you want to play you got to pay. Find your local pro and tell him you will marshall for him for tires it works alot more than you think!

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...-4g-radio.html
KBRL Nitro Series
www.youtube.com/gsadvanced
Marcus Falconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #104
Tech Regular

track also plays a big part, give me some loam!
aray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #105
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Lots of deals to be had on the net these days for tires.

Many times I run accross them when I don't have a lot of cash to spare.. Such is life. It's worth trying to find the "deals" though. Reusing the rims and foams do help. I have a few sets that I need to reuse my self, but keep putting it off.

Track conditions and surface make for either lots of tire wear or little. Loam is good, but hard pack is fun too. Like being able to run both when possible, keeps you on your toes.

I do know plenty of racers that will try to run either buggy or truggy with only one set or a few sets of tires for a season. Always seemed a bit strange to me as many times it will be those same racers that complain that they can't keep up with faster racers.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote