R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-15-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default What Motor, controller & servo's to buy

I am a novice and just purchased a new D8T roller kit...my first RC in about 6 years. I need to buy a motor (.21), pipe, RX/TX and servo's. I dont want to spend a fortune. Looking to spend about $500 TOPS on new stuff but will consider lightly used like new condition stuff as well if I can find it here or on ebay. I was looking at either the Airtronics MX-Sport or MX-3X...will I notice a big difference between those 2 controllers for offroad use? I am trying to decide if its worth the 60-70.00 price increase for the Mx-3X. Or is there something better for under 150?
Whats the hype with these LIPO batteries? Do I need to run anything special to use these in the truck and controller?
Motor I have been told to get either a Werks B5 or a Alpha green or red .21...what do you guys think the best motor is keeping it in the 200 price range. I plan to run the outdoor 1/8 nitro tracks here in AZ...Nitro Pit and Fear Farm.
And which pipe with the motor you choose?
And lastly....Servo's. Which brand and model would you recommend using? I want something good but keep in mind I am not a professional racer (obviously or I wouldnt be asking LOL).
Oh yeah and I need batteries and a starter box I THINK? lol. Yeah I told you I havent had a truck in a long time.
Anything else im forgetting? I appreciate your time guys!
Old 12-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Ok

Novarossi .21 3 port.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Standard-Plug
Airtronics MX-3X
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...92744-Receiver
Steering servo.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Digital-Servo
throttle
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Digital-Servo

Pipe
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Hard-Anodized
Old 12-15-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

+1 but that engine wont pull a D8T, i tried it LOL

also i would run lipo, i would run LiFe batteries, no need for regulator and its safer.

i just switched to futaba servos, they are a little pricey but see nothing wrong and i tried some and they felt great... before them i had hitec, works great and last for years, also like my airtronics servo (but they dont make that one anymore) and the savox and JR i wasnt a fan of, ran them for only a few races before selling them.

do not get and Alpha red head, its to weak IMO i loved my green head in the D8T and got a Orange head and liked it alot too in truggy. not a fan of werks, just dont see the hype but i here and see nothing but good things from them. i personally have really been impressed with my jammin JPX 21, 10+ gallons with no rod or pinch, just replaced bearing and its still running like new and has more power than i can really use. ... if you go with Alpha green or orange head make sure to get the 0801 pipe.
Mugen MBX7 Eco / LRP / Airtronics M11x
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

thanks for the great help you two!

jmaxey...which do you think would suit my needs best the green or orange head? Local hobby shop says go with the green or red as I stated above and he seemed to want to press the green. He never mentioned orange. I always want others oppinions besides the shop who is selling me stuff cause you never know if they are just trying to push what they profit the most from.

As far as servos go...are there any that are good that wont cost me 240.00 for the pair! Thats a huge chunk of change for those 2 pieces. and I should use the same model # servo for both throttle and steering?
Old 12-16-2010, 12:15 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourseventeen View Post

jmaxey...which do you think would suit my needs best the green or orange head? Local hobby shop says go with the green or red as I stated above and he seemed to want to press the green. He never mentioned orange. I always want others oppinions besides the shop who is selling me stuff cause you never know if they are just trying to push what they profit the most from.

As far as servos go...are there any that are good that wont cost me 240.00 for the pair! Thats a huge chunk of change for those 2 pieces. and I should use the same model # servo for both throttle and steering?
for engine, i tried the red head and it was weak in a buggy IMO, its the "sport" Alpha but its still great, green head and orange head are the better ones... the orange head was designed for truggy and green head for buggy. but on high speed wide open tracks i think the green head is better but on tight technical the orange head is WAY better, IMO orange head is better all around for truggy but for buggy green head is the only way to go IMO. i ran green head in truggy some and never had any problems so its up too you on what you want. orange head is bottom engine (suited for truggy) and green head top end engine... you can PM me if you have any other questions about Alphas ive been running them all year, but switching brands for next year and been running my JPX in my buggy since i got rid my green head alpha.

and on servos the hobbico CS-170 is the exact same servo as the hitec 7955, its just rebadged, hitec makes them for hobbico and they are 90 bucks, but you can get them knocked down with towerhobbies offers. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNRN6&P=ML

i would run this battery pack also: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAAGM&P=ML
but you will need a charger that charges LiFe batteries with balancer... these last about an hour and a half of use before needing to be charged and dont need a regulator.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

PM sent. thanks buddy
Old 12-16-2010, 12:47 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Quote:

if your wanting to use these alpha engines, either use orange head or green head use the go engines 2072 pipe, the red head wont pull SH*T, i must admit the werks b5 with a lightweight flywheel will give you all the torq in the world BUT be warned, its not controllable... you can tame if with heavy flywheel / lighter clutch with plastic shoes and alloy mixed

as for servos i would look at the savox servos. mid priced but perform very high and we've never had a problem with them
steering: Savox SC-1256TG(way more torq but slower) or Savox SC-1258TG(quicker)
throttle: Savox SC-1258TG

the sc-125x series has been good, ever since it was released we bought a set and they haven't failed.

everyone will say the blue truggy ofna box for starter box.
i personally use a go engines with a 775 motor belt driven. plenty of torq havnt had any problems with it yet.

batteries? for both radio and reciever? for radio i would look at a life pack or even lipo if the radio will handle that much voltage.
reciever - try get a LiFe pack that will fit... it will last AGES with savox servos...

the 0801 is still in training class compared to the 2072 on the alphas, i really dont understand why they changed to the 0801 for combo as it sucks compared to the 2072

hope that helps.
just wait for a few more opinions to show other brands then take a look and take your OWN pick
Old 12-16-2010, 12:51 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

thanks Alpha...I am starting to really like this website!
Old 12-16-2010, 12:54 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
thanks Alpha...I am starting to really like this website!
yep its great... just dont ever ask what engine is best or which chassis... it will turn into a girl fight as normal.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:05 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

LOL sounds like some of the other forums I belong to.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:28 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

You can buy the 7955tg all day on ebay for $100 new.

MBX6-XZ-B Speed, MBX6T-Ninja, Hitec, Savox, Futaba 4pk
drewmugx5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
and on servos the hobbico CS-170 is the exact same servo as the hitec 7955, its just rebadged, hitec makes them for hobbico and they are 90 bucks
$89.99 all day and the same servo!

The O'donnell ss.21 is also are very capable motor for $200 range. With the jp-1 plenty of torque or the R2 pipe by O'donnell. I kno mine hold a tune very well.

Hobby Pro USA, Maclan, Casterracingparts , RADIOPOST, Vp-Pro USA
stu541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu541 View Post
$89.99 all day and the same servo!

The O'donnell ss.21 is also are very capable motor for $200 range. With the jp-1 plenty of torque or the R2 pipe by O'donnell. I kno mine hold a tune very well.
+1 on the O'donnell engine, have about 3 gallons or so on ours and havent tuned it any yet, except for when it broke in, leaned it like 4 hours on the HSN.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic

more dumb questions....how do you know if the motor needs tuned? and how do you tune it properly? lol.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have ran a lot of motors thur my D8T and so far I like the ODss.21. Its not the most powerful motor out there by any means but it is very easy to tune and runs like a camp. It is very easy to put power down very smooth with the R2 pipe. I have not ran any other pipe on it to compare but I dont need to its a great motor. Hell I just ordered a second one for my buggy.

Servos If I was you I would go with the savox or the hitec 7955 both great servos and not to much money sence you are trying to not spend a bunch. Also dont do Lipo not yet get the Life pack or a NiMH 1600 they are very easy to work with.

Bump Box only one to get blue ofna truggy box, and just get some NiMH 3600 packs thats all you need.

Welcome back to RC injoy

Team Associated B4.1 reedy 8.5, R10 Pro
Team Associated T4.1 OHP 17.5, Tekin RS
Team Associated B44.1 reedy 6.5, R10 Pro
smittyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote