Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 08:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Steering

New to the hobby, Friday my son was running the car and hit a tire of a parked car. He wan for like another half hour. This morning I went to run the truck and the steering only turned one way and sounded like soemthing was jammed. Any suggestions?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jmartell21
New to the hobby, Friday my son was running the car and hit a tire of a parked car. He wan for like another half hour. This morning I went to run the truck and the steering only turned one way and sounded like soemthing was jammed. Any suggestions?
Probably damaged the servo. What vehicle?

Last edited by nitroexpress; 01-10-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Rookie

easy fix?
Old 01-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Could be a number of things. Have you taken the top off to see what happens when you turn the wheels? If they turn one way, it doesn't sound like the servo horn being stripped (should turn either way, if that was it). Could be a broken belcrank or something came loose.

Check all screws involved, check for anything getting in the way (rock or debris), and see what happens when you turn the wheels each direction with the radio while the top is off. Radio could possibly need to be reset, but I would check all other possibilities first.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Matt,

What top? lol hope its not a dumb question
Old 01-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Matt,

Body off.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Nothing obvious, Just turned it back on and the servo is very loud now.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Maybe a stripped servo horn or you have broken some servo gear teeth.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Take off the servo horn and see if the servo is turning both ways, if its not then you may have stripped the servo gears.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Matt,

LOL...I don't think I've ever caught myself calling it the "top", but yes, the body.

With the radio off, can you physically (with your hands) turn the wheels easier in one direction than the other?
Old 01-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Matt,

I think its stripped now for sure. I could turn one way easier than the other. But now you can hear the servo grind when you do it.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If that's the case it deffinitally sounds like a stripped servo. You have a couple options now.

1st - Take apart the servo and see what gears or part is exactly broken. Then you can most likely buy that part and fix the servo. If you tell us the brand and model of the servo and the broken part, I can show you the part you need to fix it. This will be the cheapest option. If it turns out to be a good servo to begin with, it may be worth fixing it.

2nd - Is to scrap the broken servo and buy a completely new servo. If you are wanting to go this route, I would strongly recommend upgrading at this point. Stock electronics are generally not the best. I would also recommend to spend the money up front on electronics so in the future you shouldn't have to buy it again. It may be a bit more money, but will cost you less in the future. Also, tell us the brand and model of your car, and we can show you the recommended servo for that car.

It's all personal perference. But I would go the with the 2nd option. I always spent the money up front on electronics. The reason is because generally it will cost you less in the future. And electronics are generally able to be used in any future vehicle you get.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Its a Thunderfire Exceed. It is my son's first car. After doing more research this was a mistake. Is there an upgrade available?

Thanks to everyone so far
Old 01-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I will be honest with you. With that particular vehicle, I would recommend just putting a stock servo back into it. With cheaper models I don't think it is worth putting a lot of money towards the car. So what I would recommend doing is phoning up Exceed and see if you can get a steering servo. If the vehicle is fairly new maybe they can give you a free one. I have never dealt with Exceed so I don't know how good there customer service is. It being your sons first car, it's not a bad idea not spending a lot of money to see if your son likes the hobby. Once you find out if he wants to stay in the hobby, getting a RC that's a little more mainstream would be a good idea. But until then, use the Tnunderfire.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Tech Rookie

yeah he likes it but are time that we can put in maybe questionable. But I like it. I was told that this is a knock off of REDCAT Tremor XTK.

Thanks for your help