R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-14-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AlanHall Send a message via Yahoo to AlanHall
Default how do you guys choose what big events to hit?

Just curious how any of you guys/gals pic and choose what larger events you attend through out the year? Whats the reasons? What events do manufactures really care about? im in louisianna and ive got the Alabama manufactures indoor race, a couple rc pro races and finals, and i think even the pyscho nitro blast are all with in about 10 hours of me. Im pretty new, but would really like to run some larger races and not just get stuck in the club racing rut for ever. im used to traveling , ive been a national car audio competiter for about 10 years hitting world finals and larger events is what im used to.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

Event Dates, Location, Money is how I choose where I go.

Last year I raced the AMS and PNB III. Both are within a reasonable driving distance from me (3 hours and 6 hours). I have 2 boys, so I have to work around school stuff, birthdays, etc so the dates of the events play a factor. And I'm a budget racer so the longer the event is and the longer the drive is I usually stay away.

I would love to race the Nitro Challenge one year, maybe next year.
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Racing at bigger events and racing with faster drivers can teach you a lot. I love to go to big events it's a blast. I go to what ever I can afford at the time as long as it's not far away. I did go to the psycho nitro blast last year and it was a lot of fun. This year I'm gonna try and go to Midwest nitro challenge at rc factory in January.
J.Sears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Nitro Challenge is the best event I have seen (Live RC) - I would love to go.

For me is time away from work and money. The Pit will cost me as much as a family vacation......
Old 12-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm young, single, and have a well-paying job so I race when I want where I want. I would suggest running any event in the Southern California area. That's the mecca of RC racing and even club events draw top pros. I was@ the Sidewinder Nitro Explosion@ Thunder Alley this year and there were three full heats of pros running-Drake, Maifield, Cavaleri, JQ, Rodriguez, Robinson, etc. all at one race. I haven't really traveled outside of CA yet but may in the future.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

just whatever I can schedule, budget in.

If your new at this, a focus on just the regional level events will be the effort better spent. you will get more out of attending 3 regional events as opposed to one national-esque type race.

When your car preparation, planning details, and driving skills come to maturity then taking a stab at like a Roar nats or nitro challange will not be a wasted effort then.

The first year I got back into RC the Roar Nats where at my local track. I regret actually competing in it as nitro was still new to me and my driving skills still a bit rusty. I was overwhelmed with just the practice sessions and did not have a good plan in regards to motor, chassis setup and even racing. Even blowing my first qualifier by crossing the line at the wrong time. I fell way short of my goals and did not have much fun.

I am assuming from your audio background you take competing serious and want to build up to some type of accomplishments.
johnny t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you are anywhere near the southeast, you hit the AMS race. Huge event, awesome drivers, great fun for everybody and its hard to beat it being indoors...no matter the weather, the race continues.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Of course money and tine off work are big issues for most of us. But what's a deciding factor on an event worth that time and money I guess is what I mean.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlz View Post
Of course money and tine off work are big issues for most of us. But what's a deciding factor on an event worth that time and money I guess is what I mean.
For me, it's the track the event is held at, and the race director running the program. Good track surfaces w/ flowing layouts make for a fun wknd. A great race director like Jimmy Babcock makes a program run smooth and draws a lot of people. Any big regional or national event you choose to run will most likely be worth it. Not sure how else to help you as out here we have the Jimmy Babcock Racing League, Airtronics Winternationals, ROAR Nats@ Thunder Alley this year so the choices are more obvious. I hear the Dirt Nitro Challenge@ the Nitro Pit is crazy sick but like 4-5 days long.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
Tech Elite

I guess im saying. Let's say your talking to a manufacture. And you tell them you are hitting this or that pro series race. Are they going to say " OK? Who cares" cause the AMS was really the event to make. Ya know?
Old 12-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlz View Post
I guess im saying. Let's say your talking to a manufacture. And you tell them you are hitting this or that pro series race. Are they going to say " OK? Who cares" cause the AMS was really the event to make. Ya know?
I'm not really sure, I just started racing this year. And there are a ton of manufacturers down in SoCal so they are usually in attendance. I would guess a race with decent manufacturer sponsorships would be a good one-why would they sponsor it and not care ya know?
Old 12-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #12
Tech Elite

I was actually thinking that right after I sent that reply. ALOT get involved with the AMS.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomgagem View Post
Event Dates, Location, Money is how I choose where I go.

Last year I raced the AMS and PNB III. Both are within a reasonable driving distance from me (3 hours and 6 hours). I have 2 boys, so I have to work around school stuff, birthdays, etc so the dates of the events play a factor. And I'm a budget racer so the longer the event is and the longer the drive is I usually stay away.

I would love to race the Nitro Challenge one year, maybe next year.
I would rec.coming. this Feb for.this . This is.the .last year that its at the pit

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #14
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I have a great time at every race. I only go to the big events that are held locally at the Nitro Pit, but there is never a time I regretted any race I went to. If I were you I would stick to the local stuff unless you plan on making a career out of RC racing and you are trying to build an impressive resume. There are huge events on the East Coast that draw enough attention and racers for you to pick and choose where to drive. Save the ones you have to fly to until you can compete in the A main consistently
Old 12-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Yeah. I ant talking like nothing like flying or a career. Lol. But building a racing relationship with a manufacture wouldn't suck. And you need face tine at the right places with the right people.