R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to petevette

Sounds like you had audio competition sponsorships. Seems like you know what your doing.

I like to go to races that have major players. It is awesome to watch them race not to mention you can talk to them in the pits.
petevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AlanHall Send a message via Yahoo to AlanHall

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevette View Post
Sounds like you had audio competition sponsorships. Seems like you know what your doing.

I like to go to races that have major players. It is awesome to watch them race not to mention you can talk to them in the pits.
yeah it quite a bit different for me over in the audio world.. I've got two championships and a current record. And in the passed like 5 years I've built 4 other championship cars for others. And I can't think off the top of my head but a good 10 top 5 finals cars.. but I need a break once in a while and that's when I race.. but I know from traveling with friends who race MX. You need to go were the fast guys are to get fast. As well as meet the right people to give you good info.. hard to do local..well I guess unless your in Cali. One of my big supporters is in cali, ( atomic) lol maybe I can get a job there and move to the "mecca"
Old 12-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Which events to hit

Good topic,

For me location, location, location. LOL. I look for the location of the event as in where the event will be track wise and then distance for me to get there. After that it's finding the time off from work to get there if I can. I only have two local tracks that are close to me, so doing some travel to get to a race isn't a deal breaker.

When I go to a big event, I'm not looking to be in the A-Main per say. More along the lines of the experience I get from just being there. Meaning, that I will have a chance to see what the Pro's do in the pits to prep their rides for a heat or main and get a chance to talk to them. Since I don't live in the R/C Mecca, it's about the only time all the big names will be in one place. That alone is a big reason for me to go to a big event.

Another thing I will look at is if I can get some race friends to go to the same event. It makes the cost cheaper and you will have at the very least a few people that you know there.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AlanHall Send a message via Yahoo to AlanHall

Location is about nuetral for me.. I think AMS is around 6hours ..Rc pro finals a little more. But less than 10hours.. psycho is a think 8ish.. but I don't thi k I can make all 3. But the experiance is defenatly the attraction for me.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #20
Tech Elite

If I had to figure a list of events to try and get to, though maybe not every one, it might be something like this,

Nitro Challange (supposedly the last time they will be at the Pit in Az)
Silver State (Usually a good race and has been around for a while)
ROAR Nats (If it's close enough to go to, it's worth doing once)
PNB (indoors and usually has a layout that isn't seen anywhere else)
Motoramma (indoors and seems to be one of the bigger events on the East Coast)
RC Pro Finals (again indoors and fairly netural in location)
Sidewinder race (So Cal, whats not to like? LOL)
Futaba Challange (has looked good in the past)
Jconcepts Race (I think this one just happened, but hey it's in Fla.)

There's probably a few more that I'm missing, but those would be some that I'd like to do at least once if I was close enough to go to. It's usually fairly easy for me to get time off from work during the first part of the year and being out West, it's usually a toss up between the Nitro Challange and the Silver State races. I think some of the guys that I know are thinking of hitting the Pit in Feb., which I hope to do. Even more so if it's the last time it will be there.

Outside of that it's usually smaller one or two day events here and there through out the year.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Houston's Engine Service
Old 12-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel Racing View Post
If I had to figure a list of events to try and get to, though maybe not every one, it might be something like this,

Nitro Challange (supposedly the last time they will be at the Pit in Az)
Silver State (Usually a good race and has been around for a while)
ROAR Nats (If it's close enough to go to, it's worth doing once)
PNB (indoors and usually has a layout that isn't seen anywhere else)
Motoramma (indoors and seems to be one of the bigger events on the East Coast)
RC Pro Finals (again indoors and fairly netural in location)
Sidewinder race (So Cal, whats not to like? LOL)
Futaba Challange (has looked good in the past)
Jconcepts Race (I think this one just happened, but hey it's in Fla.)

There's probably a few more that I'm missing, but those would be some that I'd like to do at least once if I was close enough to go to. It's usually fairly easy for me to get time off from work during the first part of the year and being out West, it's usually a toss up between the Nitro Challange and the Silver State races. I think some of the guys that I know are thinking of hitting the Pit in Feb., which I hope to do. Even more so if it's the last time it will be there.

Outside of that it's usually smaller one or two day events here and there through out the year.
where the rc pro finals?
younghovaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Texas. Dallas area? On a map of the U.S. it's pretty much in the middle so to say. On the southern side. I think it'd be a 20 hour drive for me.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Houston's Engine Service
Old 12-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #23
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Man I hit eveymone I can. But so far that's AZ and Vegas for me.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Funny Frank,

You going to Az. again? Maybe it won't rain. LOL.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Houston's Engine Service
Old 12-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to camocowboy

It always rains on Nitro Challenge. Usually not as bad as last year though.

I try to pick events on the same factors as everyone else I guess. Cost of event including travel and accomodations is a big one. I decided I can't do Silver State every year because its in Vegas and that was expensive. Nitro Challenge is a local for me so I am lucky. I do have to say that Alan did an amazing job with the AMS last year. Alabama is my home state so going back was cool and the prize line was absolutely unbelievable. Everyone got something and the sportsman prizes were just as good as open and pro. If your gonna hit a big event that would be the one for the east. I wish motorama was not so close to Nitro Challenge I would like to check that out too.
#92 Greg Singletary
Punched R/C Productions - Ascendancy Racing - Byrons Fuel - JGO Paint - The Nitro Pit - One Hobbies Shop and INDOOR RACEWAY
camocowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #26
Tech Elite

For sure the total cost is always an issue for people, probably more so now than 5 years ago.

I did the Silver State twice. First time there were four of us in a hotel room. Super cheap, but very tight on space. Second time I had my RV there, about the same cost as getting a room, but we never had to leave the track. There are pro's and con's to everything I guess.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Houston's Engine Service
Old 12-14-2010, 07:54 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The main thing I noticed lately....is to be careful and TRY to make sure the event will run "As Advertised" if you can.

I have been to some events this year (one in particular) that was so packed with entries: that practice, the quals and mains were were all shortened due to the amount of entries. I mean run time was cut in half! I take the time off work and spend the money to go to Big events for the main reason of...run time and quality of racing. Not to race with allot of people and watch the Pros run long mains while the "little guys" get their time cut short. The Pros are Pros, they get plenty of run time. There will be 20 - 30 Pros at and event of 300 and the event is run around these 20 - 30 racers. It is not right and some event promoters are getting greedy.

It amazes me! I mean 90% of the entries fees make the event happen and the Promoters drool over a few Pro's at every event. Quality events are getting hard to find. PNB, although crazy, has been very good at giving you your moneys worth.
Kalgard Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:09 PM   #28
Tech Adept

whats the big races on the east coast?
younghovaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:37 AM   #29
Tech Elite

East Coast?

Been a ling time since I lived/raced back there, but I only know of a few events. There could be more that I don't know about.

Motorama (up in Harrisburg Pa.)
Jconcepts race (Tampa Fla.)
PNB (Psyco Nitro Blast (down in Ga. I think)
AMS (Alabama Mfg.'s Shootout (in Al.)

Outside of those the one toss up would be the ROAR Nats. When it's on the East Coast per say, it's one you could go to. I think it should be close to the time that the Nats will hit that area, but not sure.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Houston's Engine Service
Old 12-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #30
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

my boss is my pit guy so the time odd isnt really a big deal, but i do what money allow's and what ever race i know the fast guys will be at, and of course i look at how much fun i could possibly.